naviiON Computer Computer

Computer

naviiON can do much more than any other top-of-the-line bike computer. It is not only a reliable guide for your travels, but it can also serve as a detailed training journal.

Recording data about your trip (speed, temperature, altitude, time, etc.) is just the beginning. naviiON's screen can display a wide variety of sophisticated statistical information, charts and tables and it is also equipped with a voice recorder. It is a user friendly but very sophisticated device, a biker's dream fulfilled.

Misa Dorfman   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2003]
Strength:

Works great. Easy to read display. Lots of useful features.
Navigation: Great toy with a huge potential. Great way to create and share trails (simple, gives you a lot of space for creativity).
The trail guide function- you get info on sights and interesting things along the way. Altitude profile- as you are riding, you have a clear idea about how much more you need to climb to get to the top of the hill.
Love the website- easy to navigate (check it out- it really could be the future of bike trails!). So much easier to find a good trail then buying guide books.

Too many features and screens- it can get overwhelming. Very few trails in the US but that can change quickly (Europe is covered way better).

It’s fun to create new trails. I can’t wait for others to ‘join-in’ so that we can trade our trails. It’s a great computer as it is; although navigation is the feature that turned me onto it so I am looking forward to the website having more trails.
It’s great for people who like to play with gadgets and try to figure things out. Also for people who would like to use navigation but who have patience to wait for naviiON to take off in the US. Those with limited patience and those who want to get something simple, and use navigation right now should probably wait. naviion is really responsive to feedback and clearly wants to keep making it better (upgradable firmware- free). It sort of just hasn’t grown into its vision yet.

Similar Products Used: have not had a computer before, my friends from the Czech Republic just raved about this, so I got it.
Josh Burkman   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2004]
Strength:

naviiON has TONS of features. It has all the usual bike computer data plus altimeter, e-trail finder so i can share trails with other riders and post to the internet, voice recorder which is freaky to hear my own voice, but handy when analyzing ride data with the software. Awesome training tool. Ride history and time trial "compare" function is cool. It's not just an MTB pc, I've used it alot on my road bike. It's nice to see how much I've been climbing. Units were convertible to metric which came in handy when I was in Canada last summer. Was nice to know how many meters I climbed and how many "clicks" (KMs) I had ridden.

The naviitrails.com database needs more road routes and trails, but this will happen as more and more people use naviiON. The owner's manual could be better but I heard their website now has "how-to" PDFs.

naviiON is a techie's bike pc. Buy it if you want all your ride info in one place and if you often switch between two bikes. Also if you want to throw out those paper que sheets and go with an inexpensive electronic trail finder, the naviiON is a good alternative. naviiON is a good long term computer that's upgradeable and you can grow up with. In the nearly one year that I've used it, there's been a couple new hardware and software releases so the guys at naviiON are constantly adding features and functionality.

Similar Products Used: Avocet computer & altimeter
Zdenek Bartos   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2004]
Strength:

All what was written before + it store the climbing meters also during walking or crosscountry skiing etc. (better is choose second type of bicycle you usually use - f.i. bike B) + electronical guide with possibility to put there text regarding each interesting point you meet during your trip..

All what was written before + very speed upgrading of the firmware and software, old Sigma mount is not enough strong for such heavy computer/guide, I suppose problems with water inside after riding during long and hard rain.

It is for each mountainbiker, who would like to share own "home" trails with other bikers.

Similar Products Used: There is not similar product on the market now......
dave stout   Racer [Apr 26, 2004]
Strength:

large display shows like 8-12 functions without crowding, graphs, upgradable firmware,voice recorder,removeable CF memory card and more ...

no cadence

I researched for months and months for a new cyclo-computer. Trying to find the “perfect one”. Well there is no “perfect one” but I found one that’s pretty damn close. It’s the navIION. I bought one. Well it’s more then what meets the eye. Also it’s easy to use. Yes easy, anyone that uses Windows can use these menus.
I bought the poorly designed Cateye OS-1 and also the very short lived Ciclosport CM 434 for $100 - $175 and they do nothing compared to this marvel (even the firmware is upgradeable). Look deeply at this marvel. I know the navIION will enhance the ride of any enthusiast and be the best training tool you can put on your bike. You can go to naviion.com and check it out.
I can’t wait to get home from my rides and check out the elevation profiles of each ride. It makes me feel so good when I see the altitude I climbed and the % of grade I can do.
The navIION sits on my coffee table next to my computer not on my bike so I can actually use it for more then just a typical cyclometer. Each ride is stored as an individual file and can be accessed from software (provided with unit) on your PC. The ride information is vast and with an area for your own personal info theres no more need for those paperback training logs anymore. Heres another paperless extra you get, many times I dig thru my small saddlebag in search of the pen and pad so I can write some ones phone number down. Well now I don’t have to the navIION has a voice recorder with built in mike and speaker. AMAZING ! It’s even stored in a usable format. The list goes on and on. Go check it out now!

One Happy User
Dave C. Stout
Orefield PA

Similar Products Used: ciclosport 434
cateye os-1
Kai Pradel   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2003]
Strength:

Extensive feature set, unique product, tremendous potential, good integraton with website, comes with many accessories (Compact Flash Card, USB Reader, USB Cable), great voice logging feature works much better than anticipated)

Product is still in pototype stage, unit clumsy to navigate, flash card does not have an eject button (use tweezers), mounting rack not part of package (uses Sigma standard mount, which was changed this year), sotware unintuitive at times

This toy is lots of fun desptite its weaknesses. I didn't think the voice recording feature would be of much use but find it tremendously easy to use and very helpful. The software makes it easy to patch voice over together with junction points. I bought it during the LasVegas bike show for $99 and thought it was a great value.

Due to the units many shortcomings (inability to remove fash card easily, unintuitive sofware, overwhelming menu structure, reflective display which is difficult to read from an angle (how about a green backlight), and missing bike mount) this unit is for early adopters. If you love new toys for you bike - get the Naviion. Those of you waiting for future versions will be rewarded with a more finished product, feature set, and software.

Fun, practical, novel but rough, unfinished and beta.

Similar Products Used: Several Sigma bike computers
Martin   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2003]
Strength:

Really big number of I believe all features what cyclocomputer might have plus having big very readable display. Includes navigation feature which works very well! Radidly increasing number of trails on www.navitrails.com; possibility to create your own trail and upload them to Navitrails.

Neither found, some people might miss heart rate, but I am used to carry simple Polar on my wrist.

I hav found excellent feature called "compare", which is in fact time trial feature. In ANY moment of your trail (time trial track] you can compare your time, speed etc. Very good for training for time trial or similar!

I was originally worried about size, but it is OK. On the other side you have readable display with number of "displaying features"

I am just starting to use Navigation and I feel quite excited about that, it works, I preapred couple of my favourite trails and even their trail engine Navitrails is very good.

Similar Products Used: Ciclosport previously, than Sigma 700 + Polar 710 on my wrist
Dave   Racer [Jun 21, 2004]
Strength:

Altitude plotting, large memory capacity, bundled software shows instantaneous %grade, as does the computer.

Want a laptop on your bars? This thing is huge and heavy, the supplied sigma mount doesn't come close to keeping it stable on the ROAD (the mount is held to your bars by a rubber band (!)). Rag dolls madly off-road. Tech support? All emails to naviion have bounced...

Right now I'd have to say buyer beware: I haven't yet been able to reach them for tech support. It's incomprehensible they'd give you a flimsy rubber band secured harness for a $200 bike computer made for off-road use. I haven't completely given up on them though - there is obviously a good bit of work and research into the product, just not much actual testing...

Similar Products Used: There isn't any such critter.
Scuff   Weekend Warrior [Jan 04, 2005]
Strength:

Innovative idea.

Fails to see the writing on the wall. Isn't a real GPS receiver.

Is it just me or this product just miss the mark? When this computer first hit the market I was pretty excited becuase it looked like it could do everything but mince onions. After looking through the product literature and weighing the current price tag however, I couldn't figure out who would be the first to shell out hard-earned bucks for such a gadget. While it does pretty much everything a cyclocomputer should do, I just don't see this as worth the price of admission especially for Mt. Bikers. In my opinion, we are near the end of conventional cyclocomputers for Mt. Biking. Check this out... I got a Garmin Fortrex 101 GPS unit for Christmas and man this is the magic bullet for forest-dwelling two-wheelers like me! For a $120, my girlfriend got me a full-blown GPS receiver that is light and small enough to be worn on the wrist. I got the optional handlebar mount and it looks great on my rig. Think about it. I've got real-time speed, max-speed, altitude, climb/descent rate, trip odomoter, etc. and best of all GPS! Why would you need anything else?? I can track and mark waypoints anywhere on the trail whether I'm riding switchbacks in Aliso Woods or scorching single-track on Skookum Flats the real-time bearing and naviagation system always gets me home safe and sound. I'm curious as to whether other bikers are picking up on this revolution.