Echowell J12 Computer

Echowell J12 Computer

J12

[Jan 14, 2004]
Tom L.

Strength:

Absolutely bulletproof in 7 years of use. Been through numerous rain showers, washing machine 3 times and tons of gritty off road abuse with no problems. Still working like a charm and it's only used 3 batteries too.

Has cadence and all needed high-end features.

The only weakness is that after riding in enough rain it will start going wacky. It's the interface between the computer and the mount. When water gets in there it doesn't work so good. Wrapping computer and mount in plastic bag with rubber bands will prevent this problem. Water NEVER gets in the computer itself.

I think that this actual model is discontinued now. I'm going to try one of their newer ones though.

Specialized, Cateye computers.

[Feb 22, 2002]
Andrew

Strength:

Unique data display, simple operation

No tenths on speed, resetting wheel size and time without blowing away memory a bit counterintuitive

Love this computer, because it's the ONLY one that shows cadence, speed AND one other parameter (for me it's distance) all at the same time. The mounting on one of my recumbents makes it tough to press the button, so having everything I need visible all the time is very important to me. The only complaints I have are minor... there's a trick to setting the clock and resetting wheel diameter without blowing away your odo (don't lose the instructions); there's no tenths display on the speedo (but there is an above/below average arrow). This computer has now been renamed, and is called the F2. Same computer, different button. Only available at Nashbar.

[Oct 01, 2006]
Omar Peplow

Strength:

Parece ótimo. Comprei esta semana, ainda vou testar.

Dizem que não tem décimos de Km/h. E da dificuldade para instalação. Vou verificar, depois posto aqui.

Ainda não sei

Cateyer velo 8

[Aug 07, 2002]
Bojan

Strength:

Extremely durable set up and design, not afraid of water dirt or crashing. A no nonsense computer made for MTB.
Displays cadence and speed as well as one other function.
Good value for money.
Has distance measure accurate to 10m

Doesn't have tenths of kph accuracy

When I was looking for a new computer, cadence was a must. I also wanted it to have reasonably quick data update so you dont brake to a halt and your speedo shows it seconds after like my old computer. Having had problems with reliability too, I wanted a no bull computer that would do the job no matter what I put it through and still ask for more. Last thing I wanted was that speed shown is accurate to tenths of a kph and that is the only one of my demands that it doesn't meet. I visited their site and was more than convinced to get it though. You can clearly see that they make their computers as a tough no nonsense MTB information tool and not as some gimmick like most others.

Having used it in this time it has been faultless. One time I forgot to remove it when I was hosing the bike down, no problem. It has not had a single glitch so far and I ride and race in rain hail or shine (its winter down here now). The mount is also bombproof as it has a little locking unit (one of the small things that speaks volumes about its durability) so it is impossible to accidentally knock it out and that has happened to me before too.

Overall only Sigma 800 also had features and reviews I wanted (that one had no tenths kph either though), but Echo make a point of their durability and rightfully so. At equivalent $30 US it is excellent value for money computer too. I can not justify taking off a chili because it doesnt have tenths kph because the quality of this thing speaks for itself. In case something unexpected goes wrong with it over the next years I will change my review but I strongly doubt that.

F18

[Apr 30, 2004]
Mauricio Esteez

Strength:

Very affordable, all the standart features, water resistant, fast response (not like Specialized crap )

Can't set mileage when reseting or switching the batteries on unit

100% satisfied. Have one for more than three years and never had a problem. I got previous Specialized Comp and had to quit because after two hours of sun exposure the screen got black, making it impossible to read the data. I believe it has no weaknesses comparing with same level Cateye units.

Cateye Enduro, '01 Specialized Comp

[Feb 21, 2001]
Pedro

Strength:

Easy to use

max rpm sometimes is off

Great, trusty computer, a great plus is the average cadence, great for roller training and spinning measurements over ride time. One button is a no miss, also, have to keep it pressed for some seconds in order to reset, so cant be reset by accident.

cateye astrale, mity 2, Trek Sensor

[Dec 06, 2000]
H. A.

Strength:

has cadence; seems durable

no 10ths in current MPH; can't get spare parts

Not a bad comp., but I lost the cadence sensor, and the distributor who the Co. told me to contact for spare parts DOES NOT RESPOND!

[Jul 06, 2000]
Toby

Strength:

3-level display. Sturdy wire and sensors. Better than average water-resistance.

One-button setup. No tenths in current speed. Cannot adjust the different displays independently. Went flaky on me: speed jumps around. Spring contacts weaken if computer left in place on mount.

Fair. Does not seem as water-sensitive as the Astrale, but went flaky just the same. Similar problems with intermittent contacts. Takes firm pressure to click the computer into the mount, more than the Astrale. Didn't realize how much I'd miss the tenth's display for current speed til I bought this. The cadence has been reliable, and is a must-have for me. The Sigma also lacks tenths. Let's see, that leaves the Vetta 77or Performance Axiom C (VDO)

Cateye Astrale

[Apr 04, 2000]
Dave

Strength:

Reliable, Waterproof, Durable, Easy to set up, Accurate

None so far

This computer is very durable and has many good functions for being only $30 at Nashbar. It is also completely sealed from water and can take a beating. I plan to get one for my mountain bike even though it has cadence.

Nashbar wireless<----------horrible

[Mar 22, 2000]
Crimson

Strength:

Lots of Functions - Avg/Cur/Max Speed, Avg/Cur/Max Cadence, Trip Distance, Trip Time, Count Down Timer, Count Down Distance, Cur vs. Avg Speed Comparison, Time of Day. Displays Speed, Speed Comparison, Cadence, plus one other function concurrently.

Clunky(read BIG) sensors, Excess wire, Provided zip-ties too short for funky down tubes, One-button programming.

I was also hesistant on buying a cyclometer I hadn't read much about, but I figured @ $39.95 (from bicycletyres.com)for a 12-function computer - how could I go wrong. This seems to be very solid - from the sensors, to the mount - which should attract rough terrain cyclists. The count down distance function is also, surprisingly, very useful; I've set mine up for 3-mile time trials - after the 3 miles, the display flashes, with the information "frozen" - so I can flip through and see how I did - max/avg speed, time, max/avg cadence, etc. - which should make this product attractive to roadies (such as myself). All in all, it's a great value and highly recommended!

Cateye Mity2, Cateye Astrale, VDO Sprint Plus.