Ciclosport CM434 Computer

CM434

Ciclosport's CM434 cyclecomputer offers advanced advanced altimeter functions that let you know how fast and far you've climbed.

Bob H.   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2004]
Strength:

Has all the features, except HR.

Extremely poor quality. No support from USA distributor or manufacturer. Any company can have a lemon and I loved all the features, especially being able to turn the mount 90 degrees. Would have tried another if there was any kind of product support from the distributor or manufacturer.

Could not enter weight or altitude, would not accept first number entered and advance to the next. Other features worked fine on my first test run. On the second test run, nothing worked it was dead. Three emails to the USA distributor and one to the manufacturer went ignored. Finally had to return the unit to the dealer and purchased another Speedzone Pro, which has a few less features, but works great on my Trek Mountain Bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Speedzone Pro Classic
Mark Vagner   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2003]
Strength:

accuracy of altimetr, resistance to extreme temperatures, really waterproof, can be used separately as altimeter, easy to read, number of functions, reliable, durable

1. complicated mounting system, cheap mounting with rubber ring (way to hell compared to older CM 414!)
2. is not able to count parts of km into total ODO (three trips of 3.97 km + 2.85 km + 4.94 km gives 9 km in ODOmeter)

I tested the accuracy of altimeter of CM 434 with another CM 414 of my father - during 125 km trip we climbed more than 2500 m, both computers never differed more than 3 m of altitude. It´s fantastic! Of course, the changes of almospheric pressure result in changes of altitude display (1 hPa means some 8-9 m, I guess), it is neccesary to calibrate (especially if weather is not stable). However the display is quite large, it works in minus 10 - 15 °C without problems. On the other hand, in temperatures above 46 °C (summer, Portugal) computer twice collapsed (after cooling it was OK including memory). It is possible to use it as an accurate wrist altimeter for hiking. Weaknesses are dispayed above: I can not understand why chip is not able to count digits after decimal point to total ODO (all of used CC are able to do so, even father´s museal Intertronic (1989 made). Solid mounting of older CM 414 was replaced by complicated and cheap-looking system resembling Big Mac: the first part is stand mounted by rubber ring on bar, then the second part with battery of reciever is clicked into, and finaly the third part (cyclocomputer) is clicked on the top. Older system was so much better!

Similar Products Used: Intertronic, Cateye TOMO, Sigma 300,700,800, altimeter Suunto
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Nov 19, 2007]
Strength:

easy installation, easy to read screen, lots of functions, temperature and altimiter functions, wireless

seals to battery compartments, price, can't scroll through entire menu tree while riding

I really liked this computer. I didn't have the inaccuracy problems that others reported. Since the altitude functions worked based on barometric pressure, I think you have to assume some innacuracy. It may not be absolutly correct, but it gives you a good idea of altitude, slope, etc. Unfortunatly, my computer died a few weeks ago. I went for a ride in the rain and it completly stopped working a few days later. Turns out the seal in the battery compartment for the base failed, and the entire battery compartment is corroded. So, a $150 computer is destroyed because a 3 cent piece failed. Pretty dissapointed in that, but I loved the computer when it worked.

Similar Products Used: performance brand computers
john   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2005]
Strength:

not much...May be a good and clear display

Everything you can imagine. It is expensive and does not work. Nothing is accurate, from the speed to the percentage of climbing. The temperature gives you wrong reading and it takes 2 batteries to operate (1 for the base of the computer and 1 in the computer itself) + that damn machine does not even turn off. That mean the batteries are used around the clock even when you don't ride.

Do yourself a favor. Do not buy this thing and use my own experience as a lesson. Shop around and go for a Specialized Pro.

Similar Products Used: Many computers (cateye, specialysed, shimano)
john godts   Racer [Oct 08, 2005]
Strength:

many features...everything is there including altimeter, %climbing, temperature, power in watt you produce when riding.

Absolutely nothing is accurate. The speed is totaly off pace, % of climbing is a total joke, power is off and the computer does not turn off.

I live in the mountain and love to see how much effort I make when climbing a steep hill or what's the % of the climb but with this piece of junk, I guess I will never know. Keep your money and buy something cheaper and more accurate.

Similar Products Used: Specialized pro
Chris   [May 07, 2006]
Strength:

Accuracy, road gradient (current, average and maximum, both up and down), settable total miles, also trip mileage can be reset durng ride without losing other settings.

A seperate, indpendant reset for max. speed would be nice.

This is one of the most precise bike computer's I've ever used. After properly calibrating it on a measured 10 mile course, I get an accuracy of 9.995% (this includes any error in the course measurement itself).
The road gradient is very useful both for incidental info (gee, was that hill really that steep?) and as a training aid by telling me just how well I am doing, or have improved on a measurable level of steepness.
The settable total miles means I can keep tabs on the bike's mileage over it's lifespan, not just between the computer's battery changes, or computer changes, if I ever need to get a new one. I presently have about 44,500 (that's fourty four thousand) miles on my bike.

The trip milege can also be set, which is nice if I make a wrong turn, as I can retrace my steps and then reset the miles to what they are on the que sheet (route sheet for you westerners) at that point. Also, I can measure two seperate sections of a ride and the computer will still remember the total for that ride.

Alitude is about as accurate as barometric altimeters on other bike computers. It's supposed to compensate for temperature changes, but I still see variences. The altitude for the start/finish location may vary by a few tens of feet before and after a ride. But from what I've seen this is common with all altimeter B.C.'s.

Overall, I can see why Lance has one like this on his personal as well as his team bike (his model is the one that can download to his PC).

Similar Products Used: Avocet, Cat Eye, Rhode Gear, other Ciclosport B.C.'s
Duane   Racer [Dec 21, 2003]
Strength:

Nice display, easy to read. Lots of functionality.

Does not calculate average speed correct. About .2-.4 mph off. Temp. a couple of degrees off. Light interferes with it and makes it quit receiving. Sets very high on the bike with the stack being bike mount, on top that receiving unit, then computer. Not exactly an avocet 45 for being low profile.

For this much money could be a lower profile. Can't believe it is so far off on average speed. That calculation seems pretty basic. Altimeter has a lot fluctuation day to day. Probably because of barametric change. However amount ascended and descended will vary as much as 20% on some rides. Seems like a lot to me.

Also when having problem with light tried to contact veltec sports because i thought it was just not working. NO.... resonse to 3 emails. Not very good customer support!!!

Similar Products Used: Avocet 45, Dbase 4l, many others.
Hans Littooy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2005]
Strength:

I've been using my CM434 now since Oct 2004. It has been completely trouble-free, easy to use, click-through and so forth. The altimeter feature is awesome and extremly accurate - even after riding for 3-4 hrs, I can return to the same spot, and it typically reads within 10 feet of the first ready. Has most/all they tyical bike computer features and I find easy to access (just click the right button for 2 seconds, and all the associated data with the main measure are displayed.) One of the riders I ride with has had the CM 434 for over 2 yrs, completely trouble free.

A little bulky, due to wireless unit, but that's about it. A lot more reliable than other computers I've use. Very puzzled by other reviews. Only compliant I have is that my NiteRider HID puts out too much EMF and disturbes the wireless signal.

Great bike computer that measures altitude gain, loss, total climb, % grade, plus other standard bike computer measures.

Similar Products Used: Specialized computers (w/o computer). Typically last abot 1 yr.
Globepro   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2005]
Strength:

All functions you may need, durable, high quality, can be used for other outdoor activities

Rubber bands holding computer base to handle bar, size a little too big

I am indeed surprised by some of the reviews, this is the very best computer I ever had, and after six months of abuse, I am even happier with it! exposed this thing to rain, cold, mud, dust, sweat drops, and it works just perfect. Operating instructions are as easy or difficult to follow as any other I've seen before, I was lucky the guy at the local bike shop explained the basics to me in five minutes (this is the computer he personally uses), and then it was really easy to find out more about the amazing number of functions you will find. Great buy!

Similar Products Used: Cateye CM 100
Aaron   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2005]
Strength:

Comprehensive speed/temperature/altimeter functions, second bike functions, has taken a beating and still works

Handlebar mount is excessively tall; fork mount transmitter plastic weak; thermometer slow to respond to temperature changes; poorly written manual

I bought this mainly because I thought the altimeter would be a neat thing to have while hiking, and the previous model of this computer had excellent ratings.
The fork mount transmitter's plastic gets brittle when exposed to repeated temperature changes. It didn't make it through the winter here in the Northeast; it just shattered one day. For some reason the computer's reset itself a few times and I've lost all my custom settings. The manual is not organized or written clearly, and as a result, it is difficult to program the computer.
Otherwise, it has a full complement of features. The altimeter is quite accurate after calibration. It's very durable and continues to function despite being exposed to just about any inclement weather condition.