Avocet 35 Computer

Matthew   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2002]
Strength:

very acurate

overengineered mounting and speed sensor, display fades out and turns black, computer is hard to install on the mounting bracket, almost impossible to memorize the function of the buttons.

This product is not very good. The wheel sensor and ring did not fit my bike well and probably would not fit many bikes well. The mounting bracket deforms when it is tightened to the handle bar making it very difficult to install the computer. On several cold rainy rides the screen started turning black but did return to normal later. The two buttons in combination with the fact that the the screen only diplays one function at a time makes using the computer difficult. Much better computers can be had for 2/3 the price.

Similar Products Used: Sigma sport BC 1200
PE   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

easy to read display, pretty simple to use

1)the hub mounting feature. I have a specialized stout hub which made for difficult installation. Had to zip tie the thing on. After a year of riding the magnet has cut a groove into my fork leg. Not too happy with that.
2)bar mount- hard as hell to pull the computer off the mounting bracket.
3)Computer is very inconsistent. with the original battery it was better but still had problems. I'd be cruising down a hill prabably going close to 20mph and the computer would register my speed at 4mph. Sometimes it would just stop functioning all together. the inconsistency got me fed up and so I removed the unit and pitched it.

The mounting units could use some redesign. If the unit is working properly no problems but the inconsistency in the readings can really get to you.

Geoff Leverton   weekend warrior [Mar 19, 1998]

The computer functions very well both on-road and off-road riding. The display is easy to read and the buttons are straight forward. It gives me all of the data that I am looking for at a glance. The Avocet 35 has worked reliably in a variety of conditions including rainy, muddy conditions and snow (yes it does snow in Vancouver every so often!)My only complaint would be with the mounting system. The computer is extremely difficult to remove from the bracket. I'm not sure if it is just my computer, or if this is a common trait for the Avocet 35.Overall, I'm quite happy with the Avocet, I just wish it was a little easier to remove from the bracket when I want to lock my bike up.

Francis   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2001]
Strength:

Nice display, colour, Good functions, I like it, precise. I like the solidity of the mounting. I do lots of on road and serios off road riding and it stands up to it.

The mounting system. I couldnt mount it on my old bike so it stayed in the box for two years. I have a new one now it has worked so far for the last few weeks. I couldn't put it on my Rock Shox Jetts though , I had to buy a rear mount system. There is a funny white bit at the side of the screen, but it might be from when I accidentally dropped it.

It works well, but it needs a new mounting system. I do like it much.

Similar Products Used: NONE!!!!
Jonathan   racer [Jan 12, 1997]

A day or so after I bought it, a mutation occured in it's processors that I had nothing to do with and it developed into an intelligence that only works when it wants to. It turns itself off and doesn't come back on when I press the buttons. My shop says that he will send it in for me, but this is still a pain. I Need to keep track of my riding. Not to say that this wasn't that one in a thousand, but it that one really pisses me off. If I could pick 0 stars I would have to. Jonathan

Leon Fu   Racer [Jun 09, 2001]
Strength:

Small, light, simple to use.

Unreliable. Doesn't seem water resistant. Doesn't mount correctly on certain forks.

I am on my 3rd units. These computers are unreliable. They don't seem to stand up well to the rain. The first unit I had must have short circuit. At first I thought the battery died, but when I replaced it, it drained it in 2 weeks. I sent that one in for warrenty. The second one lasted less than a year and then the left button stopped working! The 3rd unit (also covered under warrenty) I had wasn't displaying the right speed even though I calibrated the wheel circumfrance correctly.

I finally gave up and bought a $20 Cateye Mitty 3 from Performance Bike. So far so good.

Similar Products Used: Cateye's
Jesse Smith   Racer [Sep 30, 2000]
Strength:

Variety of functions

Battery life.

I really liked the design of the functions. You can program in specific tire diameters, program in odometer miles after changing batteries, keeps an "all-time" max speed, trip odo, trip average speed. The buttons were well designed with posative feel. The disk magnet works well with road bikes, but I could see how it wouldn't be so hot for mountain bikes. I like the look of having a magnet close to the hub instead of mid-spoke positioning. The instructions were pretty good.
I had problems with what I think might have been battery life. The display would go dead, and I'd change the battery and it would work well. After a while the display would go dead. I'd take out the battery and clean it and the contacts with a pencil eraser and it would work for a while, then poop out again. I've had the same battery in a Cateye Enduro 2 for 4 years.

Similar Products Used: Cateye Enduro 2, VDO Sprint Plus
SFA   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2000]
Strength:

Uhhh no

weak

This thing is a piece. The magnet doesnt fit any hubs right. The sensor won't fit any phat forks. It is now in many pieces in many places that I dont know of (I don't really care either) It's just a really big pain in the ass. Doesn't work when riding fast on trails. Good for nothing garbage. I could go on but I leave you with 1 flaming piece o'crap.

Similar Products Used: dont bother with these pieces anymore
Dom   Cross Country Rider [Apr 12, 2000]
Strength:

Longevity
Ease of use
Clear readout

Initial Setup

Had this for 5 years and never a problem. Circular hub magnet stays put and works when wet, muddy, whatever. It does speed, distance, average speed and there's a timer. What else could you want?
For cost/longevity it gets five dead robins. Only problem is I forgot how to calibrate it if ever I change tyres.

Similar Products Used: none
Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Sep 01, 1999]
Strength:

easy to use, large display, you can reset individual read outs or all at once, cool colors

EVERYTHING ELSE!!! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! The display goes bad after a while and it often reads 0.0 when your riding. It works when it wants to.

When I first got it, it worked great...for about 45 miles, then it reset for the first time. I figured out if I left it on the bike (hoping it would get stolen if I parked it) It wouldn't reset. Everything was fine for a few more hundred miles (just a few weeks for the amount I ride) and then the display went bad...It just quit working. I replaced the battery and it worked better for about a week, then it cut off again. So it was finally retired (after 6 months and about 750 miles).Foolishly, when I got my new bike in June, (before the first one died for good) I got another Avocet 35 because I thought it would be good if the 2 bikes could share computers. The replacement's display hasn't worn out yet, but it also is very finicky about working. It seems the sensor has a hard time reading the magnet on the hub. It's really a piece of crap. I'm tired of writing about it because it's making me more upset. If I could give it 0 blazing horses or whatever they are, I would. So I'll give it one. I've had the Sigma 800 ever since I had to replace the first Avocet 35 and it works well aside from the cord snapping yesterday...guess I have to go wireless now.