Avocet 15 Computer

Ethan T   Weekend Warrior [Jan 11, 2002]

A simple but effective computer. Has enough features for most people and an insane battery life, but do yourself a favor and get the next model up. It has a clock which is the one feature that the Avocet 15 lacks.

dennis folgal   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2002]
Strength:

easy to use if you are a rocket scienceist

well it is very week when i hod it for 2 weeks it broke it also broke, the desplay went fuzzy when it got wet it was a waste of $30

it is a waste of money it would be better warking out our spped your self, byworking out your distance and dividing it by how long it took you to do it. dont buy this product

Similar Products Used: none this is the first one i have had
bri   Cross Country Rider [Dec 25, 2001]
Strength:

- easy to use
- good product support
- reliable
- inexpensive / good value

- no memory - if you lose battery power everything is
reset and you cannot restore lost data manually
- no advanced features such as RPMs

great entry level computer or for someone looking
for the basics on a budget. for a hard-wired computer,
this one works pretty well once everything is adjusted
properly. for a first time computer owner like myself,
this was fairly easy. have only had 2 small problems,
computer stops responding - this was due to a loose wire
and/or worn connectors where the computer snaps on.
pretty easily fixed, i just checked integrity of all
wiring and bent the male connectors to the computer up
slightly to insure firmer connection.

the other thing happened one time i did not have the
computer snapped in fully and took the bike out for
a test ride. hopped over the speed bump and thing
flew off and battery cover popped off on the pavement -
along with battery and all data stored since i got
the bike. also had to reset computer to miles rather
than kilometers but had to remember how (no idea why
the default is what it is), and also tire size. this
took a little remembering but that's what the manufacturer
is there for. big drawback was i couldn't manually reprogram the data i had accrued i.e. total mileage
into memory manually. kind of a bummer, but nothing
too terrible.

only extra features i would really use are RPMs and
heart rate but that's not available in any products
at this price level. i'd rather use an external HR
monitor anyway.

good product support via website.

4/4 flamin' hot chilis for value and overall.

Similar Products Used: N/A
Kevin Vaillant   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2001]
Strength:

Light, Easy to use, Durable, Economical

No clock function

Excellent computer, easy to set up, is very durable and easy to use, I haven't had any of the moisture problems the other people have had. The only problem I have had was after I dropped it and the battery came out. The computer didn't break so I just reinstalled the battery and it has been fine ever since, none of the moisture problems the other riders have experienced.

Would give it 5 flamin' Chilies overall if it had a clock function.

Similar Products Used: Haven't tried any others this one had everything I needed except the clock funtion and was easy to set up.
bunyan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 2001]
Strength:

Was easy to install

broke first time I used it

The first time I used it I spilled into a small stream, getting the computer wet. The thing hasn't worked since. It should be more moisture resistent than that.

Dave   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 21, 1999]
Strength:

cheap,
all the functions you need,
works in wet weather

I got mine for $19 2 years ago. It worked the entire time on the same battery, and always read accurately. When I switched it to my new bike, I didnt think about the suspension, and the slack in the wire due to my weight on the fork got it caught in the spokes. The wire ripped out, and the 2 computers I have bought since then did not work at all, I dont understand why all computers suck, when for under $20 you can get a good one by avocet. Ohh, and my favorite time to ride is during a big storm, I have also dumped my bike in a river or two, and the computer kept going.

John   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2001]
Strength:

Small, light, Ease of use.

No clock

This is a really good basic computer. It's really small and very light. I've used it for almost 2 years now and nothing has gone wrong. I didn't even have to replace the battey. It is very easy to use, and easy to read. If it had a clock it would be perfect.

Westy   Racer [Nov 08, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap, gives the right numbers, can be used in wet weather until the battey is changed, one battery lasted 2 years. Reasonably light weight.

Some times it goes nuts and the speedo reads what ever it wants, sometimes it just reads random crap, not even numbers after it gets wet.

Not a bad unit for the money. Mine has never worked as well since I changed the battery though. The one on my road bike that never sees worse than rain is great. My mountain bike one tends to screw up when it gets wet and muddy. Buy it if you're looking for a cheap/disposible(?) unit.

Romeo   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 20, 1999]
Strength:

Cheap

Cheap, broke while riding.

It was a great computer for the short time that it lived. I tried to replace the battery, but to no avail. I'm going to try the Supergo Wireless next.