Yakima Steelhead Bike Mount Bike Rack

Yakima Steelhead Bike Mount Bike Rack

Replacement Yakima SteelHead Body Assembly.

[Feb 24, 2011]
Scalped

Strength:

Works great when new and holds bike firmly.

Doesn't really lock and isn't truly secure. The biggest weaknesses I have been frustrated with are the design of the skewer which oxidizes and becomes difficult to adjust to different bikes, and worse yet, the red plastic locking tabs are complete junk. I have six of these racks and three are broken, three I don't dare remove from the crossbars as they are about to fail. Yakima support will gladly send me replacements for a mere $54 per rack. NO THANKS YAKIMA. Your choice of such a cheap plastic and unwillingness to replace at a reasonable cost has me shopping for Thule.

They cut corners on a few critical parts. No problem if they would only stand behind them and at least sell parts somewhere in this stratosphere. One of the bike shops I used to frequent closed a couple years back, and the shop I use now didn't seem to be able to work things out with Yakima. Here's a quote from the e-mail response from Yakima regarding this issue after I told them I got nowhere with my LBS:

"We have replacements that can be order 8820041 - $54 each. But if you are looking for a warranty we should work through the dealer."

Maybe I'm expecting too much? I want to stick with a US product but this doesn't help.

I've always been a loyal Yakima user...

[Jun 23, 2008]
kdq84

Strength:

Holds on to the bike very well, much better than upright bike mounts. It is the only rack that is able to clear the back hatch of my car while the rack is mounted the correct way (not backwards where I have to mount upright ones to be able to open the back hatch with rack on) When the bike is locked (properly) there is no chance the bike will come off the car without the key.

This rack cannot be used with bikes that have disc brakes. You need to find storage space for the front tire of the bike or buy the roof mount tire storage. The pin in the front part oxidized and forced me to replace the front part of the rack. (Needles to say this was after 3 years of use…Including one winter on the car…Need I say salt?) Improper closing of the front mechanism caused the bike to release while driving.

I would defiantly buy this rack again if I were not switching to disc brakes on my bike. Make sure to take the rack off and periodically check the front pin to check structural integrity of it. If the rack if a few years old make sure that the front locking mechanism is sliding freely, mine stop sliding freely (for reasons I am not able to determine) which caused my bike to release. When this did happen Yakima customer service was extremely good offered me a new rack since it did some damage to my car. Thanks to their customer service I am going to go out and get another Viper rack.

MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE RACK OFTEN TO MAKE SURE IT IS LOCKING THE BIKE IN PROPERLY

Upright Yakima racks, Hitch Yakima Racks, RockyMounts Noose

[Jul 02, 2003]
madboy

Strength:

Sturdy rack, good clamping system, low profile rack.

Doesn't fit all MTB forks

In need of a bike rack, I was going to purchase the SteelHeads off a friend, whom had to get a new rack when he bought a new car. I tested the rack with my bikes before buying it, as I had read & heard that the Steelheads didn't work with some forks and/or disc brake bikes.

Turns out it worked fine on one of my bikes with a Fox F80X.

The clamp wouldn't open large enough to lock onto my Manitou Scarab fork. While the fork would fit into the clamp, the clam wouldn't close.

I'm rather disappointed with Yakima on this design as it seems like a very trivial problem to correct, in having the clamp long enough to work with most MTB forks. Yakima uses the following marketing quote to describe the rack:

"Long throw 9 mm quick-release skewer grasps any size moutain or road bike fork".

Not really. Didn't work on my Scarab fork.
Bottom line ... seems like a good rack, but make sure it fits the fork on your bike.

[Jun 19, 2003]
Adrian

Strength:

Good design.
Easy set-up.
Holds bike secure, even off-road.

Won't fit some weird-design forks.

If your usual rides do not require you driving though dirt trails, the Steelhead will probably seem "overqualified" for you. For paved road driving, go with a less expensive copperhead, boas, or even their upright mount-style racks.
I often have to drive off-road to get to the trails I ride, so I need the extra stiffness of the Steelhead. I've seen bikes fall off from other mounts, but I've had no problems with the Steelhead, even at moderate speed though bumpy dirt roads.

Other Yakima racks.

[Feb 14, 2002]
sony

Strength:

holds on to the bike great. when my fork is locked down, i can grab the fork and rock my entire car back and forth. it's very sturdy. i've taken road trips driving at 80 in windy conditions and never felt my bike was compromised. Secure and easy to load (on top of my subaru). Once adjusted to your fork, loading and locking is quick.

price

I think this is the best tray rack, it's secure, strong and easy to use. I would recommend this rack tray to anyone. It seems expensive to me, so my secondary tray will probably be a copperhead which was just a little cheaper.

Yakima boa

[Oct 28, 2003]
Alan

Strength:

Quality construction, easy to mount on yakima crossbar and also easy for the bike to mount on the rack. The bike is very secure on the rack. Never had any doubt.

i) Some surface on the skewer developed some surface rust within a week I put it on my car, but I guess it is only cosmetic since the mechanism is still working great after two years. ( I got it brand new off ebay ),
ii) The skewer is not long enough for some fork, but I have found a easy solution for it ( read below ).
iii) My version comes with a separate road bike tire adapter, making the rear rim thicker for the strap to hold on to. Of course I losted it like everyone else and there is no replacement. ( Called yakima and they say they don't ship those adapters anymore ).

Overall I am very pleased with the steelhead, especially I got it brand new at a low price. The only problem I had so far is the skewer is not long enough for the Manitou Black Comp fork I had on my Jamis. I had done some reseach and found a few possible solutions.

i) If you also had a clearance problem, which I don't have, and $40, hurriance components made a product called forkup. You won't be able to lock your bike on the rack anymore though. However I heard that it is difficult to locate this product. Seems it is out of stock in many places.

ii) A cheaper solution is to replace the yakima locking skewer with a regular 9mm skewer, for around $10. You won't be able to lock the bike either. Customer service in Yakima also carries something like this, the product number is #8820123. It is not on the web but the guy over the phone told me about it.

iii) This is the work around I go with. You can still lock your bike on the rack. On the yakima skewer, screw the nut on the other end ( not the one with the latching and locking mechanism ) all the way in. You will see a lock ring there. This lock ring prevents someone removing the nut from the skewer. Removing this lock ring will give you a lot of extra turns when backing off the nut for a longer skewer. You can still lock your bike without the lock ring, but when your rack is empty, people can now unscrew the nut and remove the skewer.

Anyways, other than the little rust developed on the skewer, and the short skewer, this product is up to my expectation in every ways. I will definitely go again with yakima's products from my experience with them. Customer service is great too.

Some kind of a trunk mounted bike rack, forgot the name. Never used it anymore once I had the steelhead.

[Jun 21, 2006]
Greggar

Strength:

Lots. I don't think anybody would argue that Yakima makes good quality products and backs them up.

Incompatible with some front shocks. Easily stolen.

All it takes to remove this bike mount from the system rack is to open the red lever and unscrew the rear wheel holder. Granted, any thief would wind up with a stolen bike attached to a Yakima roof rack accessory, but still, you're bike is not really locked to the rack at all. Even worse is the "lock" itself. It's so big and so close to the rack bars that some front shocks leave nowhere to close the skewer because the lever to throw is so big. I found one fix to this issue and that's to get the $25 Yakima skewer which has a centimeter or two of offset. As near as I can figure, that makes a Steelhead a Copperhead, so I recommend buying that, instead. Don't get me wrong, this is still a better setup than Thule. That's not saying much, though.

Various and sundry Thule and Yakima products.

[Sep 22, 2003]
HANS S

Strength:

good security...no modifications needed on bike rack

never used any other rack system untill i purchased yakima...great product...i have no regrets...easy to install..didnt need to use any tools...i have used it every weekend and i cant wait to use it the next weekend...the steelhead can be move on the cross bars without removing it from the cross bars...make sure to get a fairing it really helps to eliminate wind noise and drag...i drove 1200 miles in 30mph+ cross winds with 2 bikes on top at speeds of 90mph+ with no worrys whether our bikes would be there...so i recommend this product to beginner or advanced bikers...

[Feb 02, 2004]
Eric

Strength:

Strong, holds bikes well, easy to install, lock cores available.

Skewer action can be somewhat sticky.

I've been using this rack for 5 years, on two different vehicles, and for thousands of miles of carrying bikes (including several cross country trips). I've not had skewer length problems with RS or Marzocchi forks, the bikes don't get scratched up (aren't trunk racks wonderful?), and the racks are stiff enough for any terrain - albeit I have never carried a DH rig. The only complaint I might have is some corrosion on the skewers - this creates some rough action when trying to clamp down on the fork. Of course, the rack has never been garaged, so I think this is acceptable for the number of years of environmental exposure. Sure, they are expensive, but so are the bikes... Nothing like the peace of mind knowing your bikes will still be there at the end of a trip.

Various trunk racks, old style Thule.

[Jun 13, 2005]
Todd

Strength:

easy to install, holds bikes well at high speed & windy/rainy condition

The adjustment knob on the skewer is hard to turn somtimes so you have to use pliers. I've also had a problem with stripping this knob that threads onto the end of the skewers. It could be that I'm over tighting these things and causing it to fail, but there's only about 1cm of threads inside these nuts so it's not too hard to pull them out. Luckily I've never had these fail on the road and lose a bike and Yakima has been nice enough to send me 2 replacements for free. I'd just caution anyone using the Steelhead that the skewers don't need to be super tight to hold the bike.

It's a little pricey, but a good product. I think they should do a little redesigning to the skewer.

thule trunk mount