Yakima Raptor Bike Rack

Raptor

Dont let a limited budget cause youTo suffer from Rack Envy -ThanksToThe Raptor, you can get a sweet rooftop bike mount without depleting your piggy bank. Fits 1To 3" diameter downtubes (most shapes and frame materials) Secures wheels with ratcheting wheel straps Fits round and square crossbars Factory rack-compatible with MightMounts

brcjacks   Racer [May 03, 2012]
Strength:

Hold many different bikes securely.
Easy to use (if you're tall enough)
Lockable (sort of).
Adding lock cylinders was very easy.
Easily adjustable for bikes of varying wheel bases and tire sizes.

Not completely lockable. (pointed this out to Yakima and they told me I could use a cable lock on conjunction with the Yakima lock) lame. I have no problem leaving the bike on the rack and going into a restaurant. Unless you encounter a thief who happens to be where you are and he is familiar with the setup it's not obvious how to get the bike off when locked.
Takes a number of turns on the clamp to sung it down good.

My complete setup uses standard cross bars with Q30 clips to attach it to the hard cover on my Avalanche.
I'm not going to get into reviewing the base crossbars and clamp system here. This is just for the Raptor bike mounts.
I should start by saying that I'm 6'1" and have no problem reaching everything I need to but my shorter friends struggle putting up their bikes. Any roof rack that allows you to leave both wheels on is going to have a tall clamp location. Like other reviewers said, the Raptor is not a good choice for SUV owners. I wouldn't want it any higher than the bed cover of my 4x4 Avalanche.
I don't what happened to the guy who says his bike fell off his roof while using this rack. I take mine off road frequently with no problem. Of course, when I do I drive like I have a bike mounted up there. The owners docs specifically say not to go off roading but some folks will do it anyway.
I would like to see a hold down clamp for the down tube bracket for when the rack is not in use so it can't bounce up and down on the wheel tray but it's really not a big deal and I can't even hear it happening if it is.
Assembly/Installation was pretty easy. In fact it was easier than the instructions make it seam.
Like most of the Yakima racks and accessories, the seem to be expensive but once you look at the engineering and design that goes into the stuff you should have an appreciation for the gear and and understanding of the cost.
Overall I like the setup. It allows me to mount my bikes with both wheels attached, within reach and still have full access to the bed of my truck and all the gear in there.
I have confidence in my Yakima Raptor bike mounts.

Similar Products Used: Yakima front wheel off mounts.
Hitch Receiver Thule rack
scott   Weekend Warrior [May 07, 2010]
Strength:

no front tire removal

bolt takes a while to clamp down on a fat down tube forcing you to hold your bike upright for a while. not easy on an suv. very stealable unless you upgrade to the rear wingnut lock. the plastic wingnuts that support the front plate to mounting tabs look like a hacksaw would take 10 seconds to take care of and the whole rack will come off. i would have appreciated a bit more security out of the box, at least the thief would have to be familiar with the copperhead or really poke around and have the right allen tool to take it off quickly.

its an ok rack, probably better suited for a car due to the reaching and balancing youll have to do with an suv. i wish id gone with the king cobra for 40 bucks more. also im concerned about long term lateral stability. my wahoo has fishers g2 geometry, front tire is about center on the front lip of the tray. the ross road bike fits pretty well.

Similar Products Used: copperhead
chester   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2008]
Strength:

factory rack attachments included

did not work for my 6" travel bike,(giant reign) clamp does not reach bottom tube, or if it does the angle of the clamp is way wrong and barely reaches bottom bracket. doubt it would work on any 6" travel bike, the triangle arms are just not long enough to reach the bottom tubeand am suspicious that it wouldnt work with anything with a higher bottom bracket (4" travel bike or bigger)
from now on im just gonna take off front wheel as this is the best rack set up.

yakima should tell you that it wont work for high travel bikes, since they didnt and i gotta return it(hassel) im giving them 2 chilis

Similar Products Used: yakima copperhead.
Robb   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2008]
Strength:

Don't have to take front wheel off

Not very stable

This rack blows. It's not very stable-- I'd never go off road, or even on a bumpy road with it. I've had it actually fall off the car in a strong cross wind and on a sharp turn. If you buy it, don't drive over 55. To its credit, even when the rack came off the car the bike stayed in the jaws.

William   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2007]
Strength:

Easy to intall, full bike mount so you don't have to remove wheels, price and Yakima is a pretty well respected brand

You gotta get way up there to lock the bike in. Various mounting options make the instructions a little strange.

I have a Subaru Outback and you have to be pretty tall to get to the lock down knob. But it sure beats taking the front wheel off every time you want to throw the bike on the car. Even standing inside the door my six foot body had a little trouble securing things. I'm sure I will get better with time but that is the only draw back so far. I used the mighty mount adapters and that made things a little lower. Mighty mounts are nice too.