Yakima Mighty Joe Bike Rack

Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe represents the top-of-the-line in Yakima's Joe Collection, offering the best fit and quality of any trunk-mounted bike rack on the market. The Mighty Joe provides a super solid ride for bikes with Yakima's integrated two piece Stable Cradle. Equally important is Mighty Joe's superior fit to your car along with a complete fit guide in the package. Mighty Joe also protects your car and bikes from scratches with its padded spring loaded metal buckles. Hands down, MightyJoe is the champion of stability in trunk mounted bike racks.

ChrisL   Weekend Warrior [Feb 06, 2011]
Strength:

Not too expensive, but NOT worth one cent

Carried one bike okay; but with two, the rear bike flew off the car, causing a three car crash, sending four people to the hospital, fortunately with non-life threatening injuries. The rubber straps wiggled loose, after they were secured tightly and double checked by two of us. The straps are defective! DO NOT buy this product----If you have one, add your own straps; don't trust this product

Thumbs totally DOWN.

switchbacked   Racer [Aug 07, 2010]
Strength:

support arm first slides in before locking in. so likelyhood of unlocking and sliding upwards is not possible.

support arm in 2004 mighty joe is loose that can frighten you loading your expensive bike on it.

Mighty joe 2 and 3 have swinging support arms that rotate within the molded hub. Mighty joe 2004's support arms slide inwards and out before locking in. The angle at which support arms are does not allow them to slide out if unlocked by a bump on the road.I suspect there 'll be any problems with it if you are carrying not more than two bikes.Don't buy it if you are carrying your favorite mountain bike just to be on the safe side.It is a good carrier mechanically sound for carrying one road bike.

Similar Products Used: cheap walmart bike carriers.
treveis   Weekend Warrior [Nov 28, 2009]
Strength:

I have the Mighty Joe 3, 2004 model, so arm locks stay locked. The 2005 models are the ones with the arm locking problems that Yakima has recalled. 2004 model is very easy to install, just follow the directions. The 2004 is not rated for my car, a 2000 TransAm, but I have never had a problem with this unit and I carry 2 and sometimes 3 bikes on this carrier, I make sure that I have followed all of Yakima's instructions and I drive I-75, I-4, I-95 & the Florida Turnpike all the time at 80 to 90 mph and have never had any problems. Bikes always stay secure and I've never after hundreds of uses had a strap come loose or off. Use some common sense and read and follow the directions people.

This is a great carrier at the suggested retail price or especially at the price I paid, $30. Ease of mounting the unit and the bikes is unparalleled. I rate this best without even trying any other units because I don't think I could ever find a easier or safer unit to use. I've seen other units on vehicles and cannot believe what I see people do. Either they are not following instructions or if they are it is a far more complicated unit than I would want. If you ever get a chance to purchase a Mighty Joe 2004 model do so. I got all instructions and ratings online.

Similar Products Used: None
Anthony   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Easy to starp the bike in

Scratches the paint on my car and the straps always come off

Do not buy this rack !!! Whoever designed this obviously did not think about how the trunk strap hooks would fit in between then the trunk and fender without chipping all the paint off of the car !! It has chipped the paint off my car about 2" X 1/2 " .

Similar Products Used: Hollywood rack I got at a garage sale for $ 5 is 5 x better than this piece of S**T
Chris Gould   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

Great rack in genral easy to install and set up or take down .This rack is great for any one who owns a honda civic or any small hatchback or trunk mount car.Easy to put bikes on and off ,great at high speed's even on highways no shaking or vibrations.All in all a great rack

Well if there was one would be the rubber straps ,but can easily fixed with a cheap velcro strap or old toeclip strap for extra support

It's a great rack don't listen to those poeple who say it flew off there car and killed there bike or scrached the paint.I have not had any of these things happen to me and i ride daily. I guess they don't know how to install it properly or just don't take the time to make sure that it is all tight and ready to go.
Just make sure you have the extra starps and nothing will go wrong if you install it right.

Spencer   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

Light. Solid mounting.

Very awkward to mount on some cars. Does not fit some bikes

Bought this rack and tried it out, and had to return it. It could not be set up to fit one of our two cars, even according to Yakima (a '97 Honda Odyssey, not exactly rare). The support tubes were 1/2" too far apart to fit one of our bikes (a Lemonde Alpe d'Huez, not exactly rare). And mounting it on our other car required holding the hatchback partway open to attach the clips; when the hatch accidentally slammed shut, my wife was seriously and very painfully pinched.

Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2003]
Strength:

Easy to use and durable
Support straps make setup easy

Rack does not accomodate GT's triangle on the seat post very well

Great rack for the money. Very easy to use and very stable. Mounts can be moved to keep bikes farther apart if only accomodating two bikes. Highway speeds of 70mph were not a problem and bikes remained secure and did not even shift. The strap setup is easy and the bars are sturdy so you don't have to worry about losing your bike. Great bike for the money. This is the first bike rack I have owned and it was very easy to use. I put the rack on without using the measurements and just going by looks and it works perfectly. The rack seemed to work best with only 2 bikes. I tried getting a 3rd bike on but it was difficult to keep the other bikes pedals out of the spokes and make the handlebars fit. The stabilizer bar that runs along the seatpost is great for keeping the bike away from the cars bumper and at an angle.

steve   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2005]
Strength:

unknown

limited FS bike compatibility

I'm glad I bought this at Guthries since they're the best and I know they'll accept it's return tomorrow. I should have read up on this thing here before I bought it.....anyway, I'm scared as heck to trust my beloved bikes on this, much less the paint on my car. Bottom line is I can't put my Rocky Mountain on this rack since the rear shock sits under the top tube. Those with RM Elements and Slayers will have this problem. My wifes Kikapu looks like it ought to fit because the shock is down low on the seat tube. GF Cakes might fit but I'd bet most of their other FS bikes won't since you need a clean angle where the seat tube and top tube meet. BOTTOM LINE: If you want to risk your bike and your car, at least take your bike with you to the shop and see if it fits this rack before you buy it and deal with the hassle of setting it up only to find that you gotta break it down and return it!!

gary   Cross Country Rider [Nov 18, 2006]
Strength:

Easy to get on and off. Hold 2 bikes securely as long as rubber frame loops are stretched tight.

No problems for me.

I can mount the rack and bike in less than 3 minutes on our Prius. Have used it several dozen times with one or 2 bikes. Even at speeds over 70mph the bikes remain stable. The first time I used it one of the straps came loose but that was because I didn't have it tight enough. I don't use any other tie downs other than the 3 provided for each bike.

Obviously there is a desigh problem with the hub but I haven't seen it.