Yakima HitchFork Bike Mount Bike Rack

HitchFork Bike Mount

Yakima's new HitchFork bike mount, for the rear-of-the-car, represents the most versatile fork mount hitch carrier on the market. Marrying two proven Yakima technologies -- the fork-style and hitch mount convenience -- the HitchFork makes loading and unloading bikes extremely easy. The HitchFork can carry two bikes right out of the box and easily upgrades to carry four. The HitchFork also has the unique feature of folding up tightly, when not in use, for a super low-profile look. And thanks to a brilliant design, the HitchFork allows immediate access to the back of the vehicle through the tailgate, back door, back window, etc.

Brandon Groleau   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

Bikes are secure. Easy to load/unload. expandable to 4 bikes (although you couldn't use wheel forks if you did.) Holds bikes by the forks.

I can't open the rear of my viehicle with the rack attached.

This rack solved a HUGE problem for me. I had bought a new Jeep TJ Wrangler and had no room to carry bikes inside and couldn't use a roof-rack because of the soft-top. I also wanted to have a system that held the bikes by their forks, not one that leaves both wheels on and attaches to the frame or seatpost. I also definitely did not want a rack that the bikes would hang from. This rack answered all my problems. The only drawback is that it does hamper access to the rear of my Jeep. I have to completly remove the rack from the reciever hitch to be able to get in the rear...oh well...one more reason to take the top off and leave it off!!! 4 chilis for value...I think all racks are overpriced, and 5 chilis for overall as I am very happy with the product.

Similar Products Used: Roof-mount systems and truck-bed style racks.
J D   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

great product. the bikes lock to the hitchfork, a big reason i wanted this product.

can't open the back hatch on my 4runner with out lowering the rack or taking the bikes off the rack. very minor though, i can roll down the back window.

this rack is awesome. very solid on the roughest roads. this was the obvious choice for me because of the locking skewers on the boa mounts, and also, for everybody who is trying to decide between the roof mount and the hitchfork, ask yourself this: where do i park? what does that hove to do with anything you may ask. i live in an apartment with a garage. so, if i had decided on the roof mount, i would have to dismount the bikes before i could pull into the garage, and up to the floor my apartment is on. i would imagine the same is true if you own a house and would like to park in your garage instead of the driveway. this rack fits my needs perfectly. 5 and 5 for the hitchfork. couldn't be better in my mind.

Similar Products Used: yakima roc II
Chris Hartman   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2003]
Strength:

Good solid frame. I like this bike rack over most of the more common bike racks because it is fairly easy to load and unload the bikes. I would recommend this bike rack to any one.

The main thing that I don’t like about the BOA’s that are attached to the bike rack is that it is a little harder to attach the bike rack rather thank having a tray which I installed. Other than that it is a great bike rack.

Bottom line is the Hitch Fork is an excellent bike rack. I would’t trade it even if I would not have been able to get the tray. The BOA’s are nice just takes a few more sends to secure the bike.

Dave   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2002]
Strength:

Ease of use. Extermely sturdy and rugged. Easy to install/setup. Folds up nicely when not in use. Very secure

Doesn't fold down after bikes are mounted.(a minor flaw)

Highly recommended product. I'm using it on a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder w/ a 2" hitch. After a month of researching different options including mounting inside the Pathfinder and on the roof, the hitch option was the best alternative. Compared to the Thule trunk rack, the HitchFork is much better. It's easy to assemble and simple to mount the bikes. (less time mounting bikes, means more time on the trails:-)
For me, money well spent. Great value.
Only drawback, if you need to open the liftgate after the bikes are mounted, the rack doesn't fold down. Maybe a future enhancement.
Thanks to all on this site for the advise and reviews.

Similar Products Used: Thule trunk mount on a Nissan Maxima. Compared Hitchfork to SportWorks rack and Twister(found on eTrailer.com)