Yakima Fairing Bike Rack

Yakima Fairing Bike Rack

Yakima Fairings help stopThe major whistling annoyance. Moves wind up and over rack, reducing noise Fits windshield angles and curvatures Compatible with every YakimaTower Safe positioning anywhere alongThe vehicles roof Lockable with SKS lock housing and cores (sold separately) Quick installation on round bars

[Sep 03, 2003]
Chris

Strength:

Sharp killer look, reduce noise quite a bid, feel faster.

None so far

I went for the styling and buy the fairing, but my friend who also uses Yakima rack suprised about how much the noise got reduced. It makes the rack system look way better than "bare boned", let alone the gas milage you might save over times. If compare its price to a wheel holder, a fairing will definately be a better investment.

I highly recommend it if you leave the rack on your car and commute with it.

trunk rack

[Jan 17, 2002]
Bryan

Strength:

Highly effective in reducing wind noise. It made a huge diffence inside the car.

You drive around with a yakima ad on your car.

The noise inside the car was just too much, it is a must have if you leave the rack on your ride.

[Apr 26, 2006]
mark

Strength:

it works

costly

i was really wondered if this thing would work. my car hummed when igot around 40 plus mph. drove me nuts! wondered why i bought a rack?"!! anyways, i asked a few dealer if it really worked, they gave me stupid blank stares. I took the plung... gues what! IT WORKS! it probably cuts about 90-95% of the noise for me. its not totally like it was without the rack, but its a dramatic difference, which makes driving less painful.
as far as gass milage improvement, i doubt it makes any real difference. but noise!! it works!!

[Apr 17, 2007]
JRock

Strength:

Completely eliminated VERY loud noise. Easy install....I installed it REI's parking lot in about 5 minutes

Pricey

Like all Yakima products it's expensive for what you're getting. But like all Yakima products it more than delivers what's promised. I have an Isuzu Trooper and the howl the roof rack caused was unbearable even at 30 mph. I tested it around 80 mph right after installation and I didn't hear a thing.

Yakima roof rack...

[Jun 17, 2002]
Jordan
Downhiller

Strength:

Good place to put sticker, makes the rack look cooler.

Created noise rather than eliminating it.

I didn't really have any wind noise before. I just bought it because it looked cool and I justified it by thinking the money it saves in fuel economy may some day pay for the fairing. It actually ended up creating A LOT of noise. I have only had it for a few days but I followed the instructions carefully and I don't know what I could have done wrong. Don't rule this product out. I've heard good things from other people and I haven't had a chance to contact Yakima yet, so there may be something that fixes it. If not I will definitely return the rack.

Yakima Rack, Steelhead bikemounts. Both great products.

[Jul 12, 2004]
Sam

Strength:

Reduces wind noise, looks good, low profile

A bit pricey

Pretty good at reducing wind noise. The noise was horrible with just the plain rack. I wrapped a piece of foam (barbell padding) and it seemed to reduce the noise by a fair amount. The fairing reduced it even more, though it's still noisier than w/ no rack. They're on sale at Sport Chalet for 20% off along w/ all other Yakima stuff. It's kind of worth it if it's on sale. Still pricey for a piece of plastic though.

Foam padding

[Jan 29, 2008]
Michael Stump

Strength:

Eliminated noise completely

Price

Had bare rack on my Silverado for a day. The noise from the rack made the whole car vibrate. I almost though about taking the rack back because it was so bad. I put the fairing on because I read other reviews that mentioned this would take care of the problem by 85%. I think it took care of it 100%. Sounds like there is nothing up there now.