Yakima DoubleDown 5 Bike Rack

DoubleDown 5

You'll be the shuttle hero with the massive Yakima DoubleDown 5 Bike Rack attached to the back of your rig. No more train of cars to the trailhead. Just load up this rack and go. This stout rack holds five bikes ranging from lightweight cross country rides to big downhill rigs. Need to get gear out of the back of your SUV Just fold the DoubleDown 5 Bike Rack away from the hatch to access your helmets, gloves, and pads. Yakima also designed the support bars to fold out of the way when you don't h

DanK_NoCo   Weekend Warrior [Dec 27, 2011]

won't hold 5 bikes

I did mean to call it a four bike rack (even though Yak calls it 5).
It was really easy to put together and use. The rack is very stable on the car, and the bikes are very stable in the rack. The folding features work quite well, but I still take it on/off the car pretty regularly. The features that make the rack stable in the hitch mean that I use a cordless drill to make the on/off procedure efficient.
It's super easy to use for 1-3 bikes (my most common usage) and might be easy for 4-5 standard frame bikes, but that's not the application I bought the rack to perform.
I have one std mtn bike frame, an odd adult mtn bike frame that requires a toptube device, and two kids mtn bikes with odd/small frames.
I only use the hw for mounting 4 bikes, and it's pretty tough to get all four of them on, in a way that won't damage the bikes as they rub together while driving. I learned this the hard way, as one of the bikes rubbed thru the finish on one of the legs of the front shock of my bike. This causes more complicated, time consuming behaviors to reduce the likelihood of damage (a pain).
I advise folks to assume that rack companies are too optimistic about the numbers of bikes that will typically fit on the rack (this is a knock on all the rack companies, not just Yak).