Yakima BedHead Bike Rack

Yakima BedHead Bike Rack

The Bedhead is a no-drill-required solution for attaching your bikeTo your pickupTruck rail. Installs quickly onThe inside lip of yourTruck bed rail 9mm long-throw skewer Resists corrosion Soft paddingTo protect your paintjob

[Feb 04, 2012]
Mike D

Strength:

Locks the bike well. Durable. No drilling.

Finish fades. Threads on skewer will rust if not protected. Tail of the bike slides and will warp the bed rail.

I have 2 on my 01 Silverado bed. If you get the Bedhead, then get the one that locks with the key. For me it is a good product. You have to make sure it is protected from the elements or the exposed metal will rust. If I move my bedhead, you can see where the bed rail is dented from the tail end of the bike moving causing the fork to twist and make the dent. I don't care for the dent anyways, since my truck bed is scratched and dented already. One of the Bedhead has faded to a light gray, while the other is still black. I don't know why.

[Mar 18, 2011]
aggie_ama

Strength:

No holes, cheap, simple

Durability

A week ago I would have sung the praises of this product, then Sunday night we swerved to avoid a deer and ended up off road in a field. All our three bikes attached to the Bed Heads dislodged. One bike the force of the mount dislodging catapulted and completely totaled the bike. One bike now looks like you took a ballpeen hammer to the frame since it was unsecured after the mount broke and bouncing in the bed of the truck. The worst is when I called Yakima the said "our products aren't intended for off road use". Since every race we do involves some amount of off road driving to get to the start line I wish I had known this, not every dirt road in Texas is particularly well maintained. If you are going to be driving on nice roads, never have an unfortunate incident of a wreck buy it. I thought this was safer for the bikes than a hitch rack but I don't think a hitch rack would have been able to act as a catapult for the bike. Too bad it is a bike you cannot replace, I can replace the mounts but probably will put my faith in a different brand.

[Jun 05, 2009]
hjbuys

Strength:

Easy to install

I could never get it very steady in my 2009 Silverado. The screw did not line up well with the upper hole so the allen wrench rubbed against the metal and did not seat well enough to tourque it down well. Once tightened all the way down, I loaded my bike on it. The bedhead moved all over the place when I moved my bike. Not sturdy at all. Very disappointing.

Gotta offload the bedhead and find something else. Any suggestions?

[Jul 02, 2001]
Freddie

Strength:

Although this section is for the Yakima Bedhead, I am submitting a review for the Yakima Beddy Jo truck rack (no section available yet). I was seriously debating which of the above products to purchase for my Ford Ranger truck. The reason I did not select the BedHead is because my bikes would have needed to be loaded in my truck bed from side to side instead of front to back. I felt that this design would have resulted in significant shifting of the backends of the bikes as my vehicle accelerated and decelerated. So, I selected the Beddy Jo. This product rocks! Inital setup will take you about 15 minutes at the very most and once the straps are adjusted, NO FURTHER ADJUSTMENTS WILL EVER BE NECESSARY. When you wish to use the rack, simply place the rack at the back of the bed, lay the two triangular heavy duty plastic strap ends into the space between the bed and your tailgtate and close the tailgate. That's it! Installation and removal takes just seconds! The whole unit is extremely sturdy and your bikes will be held securely with no swaying at all from the backends of your bikes. When you get to your riding destination, simply remove the rack and toss it inside your truck. When not in use, I leave my Beddy Jo in the back of my cab at all times because it is so compact. One interesting thing is that your bikes will be held backwards in your bed. This is cool because if you race, other motorists will see your number plate on your bike: guaranteed to help you pick up chicks! (This theory has not been substantiated, yet.)

Absolutely none for the Beddy Jo: a brilliant design!

If you have a pickup truck, you can't go wrong with the Beddy Jo. My friend tried my rack in his full-sized pickup truck and it worked just as well.

Tie down straps.

[Oct 28, 2002]
John

Strength:

Decent fit and finish. Clear instructions.

Clamp did-not generate the necessary holding power to firmily hold the Bedhead to the side rail. Also clearence hole for access to the button headed set bolt was some what off center so that when the bolt was getting tighter the allen key (supplied with Bedhead) was rubbing against the sides, gouging the hole.
Overpriced for what you get.

Good idea but poor lower clamp design. In my opinion the bottom clamp should have a larger bearing surface to generate more frition under the bedrail; I belive that Yakima could include a few different size rubber pads to fit the various bed rail desigs rather then the one-size fits all approach.
When I got the Bedhead firmily clamped down to my Toyota Tundra( I had to use my "T" handled allen key rather then the generic one thats included to get more torgue), I clamped the forks in and drove down the drivway and onto the street, went down to the end turned around and came back home. Well in a half mile journey the clamp had rolled down and was ready to fall of the rail! I tried three more times; tighting and reversing the pad(as suggested in the instructions), I also locked the rear brake to keep the bike from trying to roll. End result was the same.
BedHead is going back to REI.

[May 23, 2005]
Kevin

Strength:

Price, convenience, holds bikes solidly.

Lock is pretty crappy, anyone with some plyers could just unscrew the other side.

This has been a great solution for holding my bikes without having to pay gobs of money for a roof rack. My only real complaint is with the lock, but the lock is still worth the extra cost to keep someone from being able to just grab the bike and run. I haven't had any problems with the clamp not holding well, but maybe it has something to do with the bed design of my Silverado.

Annoying triler hitch racks.

[Aug 12, 2002]
Josh

Strength:

Heavy Duty construction, no drilling needed, locks bike and self to the truck......

Some might view the side to side mounting of your bike in the truckbed as a weakness, but I assure you it is not.

This is an awesome product, especially for the money. I got mine at http://www.backcountrystore.com for $50 and shipping was free.
The BedHead mounts to the side rail of your truck and looks like it should fit any truck just fine, I have a 2000 Silverado. Be sure to get the locking BedHead, it'll lock both your bike and the mount to the truck rail. I lock my bike to the bed also just to be double safe, but the lock on the mount is still very good.
Your bike will be going side to side across the truck bed, which looks weird and is uneasy on the eyes and nerves at first, but I assure you it is not a problem. If you want to make certain the rear end of the bike wouldn't move under hard breaking just run a bungee cord from the back of the bike to the other side of the bed for extra tension, that's what I do.
I also put the mount to the very front of my bed as well seeing as that is where the least amount of bouncing goes on in a truck bed.
This is the best truckbed mount I have ever bought for the money. It's easy to install and to remove. It's small and unobstructive so leaving it on the truck 24-7 is not an issue. Just another great product by Yakima!

[Oct 23, 2004]
Terry

Strength:

Holds bike securely

off center screw attachment

I'm very happy with this product. It holds my bike steady, even at 75 MPH. I have attached a bungee cord for extra security. I recommend this product highly.

[Jun 01, 2004]
James Gallagher

Everything

I bought the locking bedhead because I didn't want to have to drill holes in my truck box. First, it hardly fit my Tundra, but I was able to get it together. But once I put the bike on, it was weak. My bike twisted and rocked in it. I wasn't sure which would happen first: the bike was going to come out or the whole bedhead was going to pop off my truck rail. It was not a secure rack. There was no way I was going down the highway with my bike wobbling and shaking all over the place. Maybe it's just Tundras, but this thing is going back.

N/A