Volkswagen Carrier Bar Set & Upright Bike Holder Attachment Bike Rack

Volkswagen Carrier Bar Set & Upright Bike Holder Attachment Bike Rack

Volkswagen Carrier Bar Set & Upright Bike Holder Attachment

[Jul 10, 2003]
vw vw

I am looking into buying the VW bike rack attachment for the base carrier rack for my 2002 Golf. I am not sure if I should get the fork mounted type, or the other type. What are the pros and cons of both? I would rather not have to take off my front wheel when I want to put the bike up. Do the fork mounted carriers come with a holder for the wheel, or do you need to put it in the trunk?

[Jul 08, 2003]
ty schmidt

Strength:

NONE

poor design,poor clamping

do not buy this rack, have had 2 bikes fall of going 65mph. dealership is no help. again do not buy this rack

[Jun 04, 2003]
Patrick

Strength:

Looks and feels sturdy. Does not sit on the roof, instead clamps inside the rubber molding.

Have to buy extra parts from Thule to work with Thule products. ( havent tried Yakima accessories yet )

I bought the bars after testing the Thule setup mentioned. (Similar product used section). I didn't like the Thule since it sat on top of the roof which would potentialy leave a mark (maybe some clear stickies would help). That was my first concern.

The VW OEM bike rack didnt suite my need either; I wasnt comfortable with the amount of slipping and sliding the tail end of the bike rack after following the instructions on how to install it of course. So I went with the V2. The hardware that came with the V2 is not sufficient to install on the VW 2000 carrier bars. So I made my own. I also I called Thule and they said that I needed a bag kit 753-3082 which contains the peices need to install on these "euro" bars ( i havent gotten it yet. But I suspect, after looking at the Velo install instructions at Thule.com site (not thuleracks.com) that the front end of the V2 will be held by one bolt. This does not look good, but Ill wait for the parts. Until then its held together well by some bent carriage bolts dipped in plastic dip, all from home depot.

No extra parts needed to install the fairing. But its angle is steep due to the height of the bars. Im trying to find a way to lower them.

So if you've got the time to make custom attachments (extra $8) this rack is well worth it, for your cars roof and wallet.

Thule Areo foot 400 w/ 2047 Fit Kit and 48" load bars

[Jul 13, 2002]
Kurry

Strength:

I really like the way this rack set up looks and handles. It is very very easy to put on and very very sturdy. I compared the looks and strenth to Yakima and other Thulle racks, and this one is far more bang for the buck.

The only thing that bothers me is the locking end caps to the base bars. They seem very cheap and every time I open and close them, I am afraid of breaking them. These parts would be very hard to replace if I did break them.

This rack is not the cheap piece of foreign crap that other entries have made it out to be. If you want something that looks classy, this is the right rack for your VW. I for one am not into all the other racks that made my car look like a moving ad. promotion for Yakima or Thulle. This rack makes my 2002 Jetta and Gt bike look wonderful together(awwwww). I have had my bike on the car in the hardest of storms with serious winds and had no problems!!! I think it is how you install it that matters everyone. As for price, I was lucky and found what I needed on E-bay for just about $200.00 for the base bars and one tray. However, if you buy this rack from VW, you will still save about 70-100 bucks than if you would buy the towers,racks, locks,straps, etc. for the other styles. Oh .....and did I mention the scratch factor? All of my freinds that have the black metal racks from Yakima and Thulle have rust build up from were they get scratched. The Alluminum VW model has no rust and always seems to look clean even when it is dirty. That is all.

I have not used anything else.

[Mar 13, 2002]
Mike

Strength:

You know it's gonna fit.
VW accepted my return.

*The rack sits higher than Thule or Yakima base carriers. *It's brushed aluminum, which to me sticks out on a car with no chrome.
*You are forced to use all VW racks and attatchments for bikes, canoe, etc, or use an adaptor that might work.

DO NOT buy this rack. Believe me, at my work parking lot, I am able to compare mine and other's cars to those with the VW oem parts.

Thule and Yakima both make better base carriers that will ride and look better. VW claims it's made by Thule, but it's Thule Europe, which in this case is very different. The carrier attatchments are different, and must be VW OEM to fit, and if a friend has, for example, a bike rack, he/she cannot attatch it to your base carrier w/o a non-typical adaptor. Nor can you borrow somebody else's Thule/Yakima/RockyMounts gear, which is the norm out there.

I run a Thule base carrier and (Red)RockyMounts trays.

[Feb 13, 2002]
Mike

Strength:

My mountain bike, a 1997 Giant Sedona, does not fit on the rack. The grab arm appears to be too short. Whether the dealership installed it correctly or not, nobody has any answers. Directions don't help and they failed to give me the tools. Does anybody have any hints or similar problems?

I've put this bike on this rack every which way possible. I'm pissed, and VW is no help. Please email suggestions or hints to azcat@rocketmail.com. Thanks.

[Oct 28, 2001]
railtrailbiker

Strength:

Appearance, ease of use.

Part breakage.

The best fitting and looking rack for Volkswagen owners but the wheel straps suck. Thule's ratcheting system is much better. However, the Thule and Yakima bars don't fit right or look the best on VW's. Go with the VW system and carry some bungee cords just in case one of your wheel straps breaks on the road.

Thule upright bike carrier and roof rack system.

[Apr 23, 2001]
robert sobol

Strength:

ease of setup with volkswagen car.
bright aluminum finish.
loads and locks quickly

a vise-claw tightening mechanism broke. There is no way to disassemble the A-bracket and repair it.
Don't misplace the odd size allen wrench that come with it.
The manufacturer should provide extras of the unusual
square-head bolts and hex nuts.

There is no excuse for a vise-claw tightenimg mechanism to break!
This could have really screwed me if I was a way on vacation.
There is NO way to temp a c-clamp or a bungee around it and keep going.
Now I have to take time off work because the vw dealer parts dept isn't open on saturday! I'm hoping vw makes good on a replacement but I feel I need to keep a spare in the car.
I can't rate this product. It should have been a 5.

[Feb 26, 2001]
bob wilson

Strength:

looks cool on my car

hard to fit my existing Thule products

I think the other reviewer had his rack set up incorrectly. I had a bike fall off when I FIRST tried a roof rack many years ago. it was definitely MY error. after I figured out what I did wrong, it NEVER happened again. I would suggest he buy the thule fork mount and not worry about his bike again since it is the safest! my only markdown is the price which is about 10% higher than the thule product available at my favorite bike shop, but the finish looks great on my car!

have been using Thule for 15 years

[Jul 05, 2000]
wade wallace

this bike rack ripped right off the roof of my car when going against a fairly strong crosswind. This happened in the exact same place where a friend of mine had the same incident with the same type of rack.

Don't even think of buying this rack. Buy Thule or Yakima. It's not something you want to cheap out on!

Thule, Yakima