Thule Velo Vise Bike Rack

Velo Vise

Thule Velo Vise

hmanstylez   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2012]
Strength:

Easy install, quick mounting, easy adjusting for different sized bikes.

To short for longer wheel base bikes, clearance issues with some disc brake configurations, clamp broke.

The rack worked like a champ for a while, but as MANY others have said, this design has a fatal flaw in the fork mount. Mine started with one side not clamping correctly and then ended up in the other one failing as well. Thule has a lifetime warranty on the units and is currently sending me a replacement for the one that failed.

In my case the failure occurred when mounting the bike so thankfully there was no catastrophic failure.

AdamW   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2011]
Strength:

Was stable until the adjuster knob failed

The fork clamp

I've just got to say that I just got off the phone with Thule customer service, explained the same problem as many others have noted here and they are shipping me a replacement -- no charge. This is a recognized issue covered under warranty.

Team Shu   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2009]
Strength:

Good idea, worked well...

...for the less than five times I used it!

It's a good idea and convenient for someone that does not have the luxury of a pick-up truck but it seems I am in the majority as the nylon threaded insert that adjusts the width of the vise failed on mine as well. Luckily it was discovered while installing a bicycle and not the hard way, rolling down the road and seeing the carnage behind me. I researched spare parts and the replacement for the fork block alone is $50.00 but lo and behold, it’s been discontinued. I have yet to try and contact Thule to see if A) it’s been re-designed and B) if I can get a replacement without charge since it seems to be a poor design execution, so I’ll report back if I have any good luck. For now I have to give the Velo Vise only one chili until I see what customer service can do for me.

jarek   Weekend Warrior [Nov 02, 2008]
Strength:

Easy to install & use

Fork mount breaks

Older Velo Vise Pro, same as other reviews listed here, my head assembly began to fail when the roller seized up, and then cracking, causing the fork to be held only on one side. the only thing that saved the bike from falling was the rear wheel strap.

clarkejimw   Downhiller [Jun 15, 2008]
Strength:

easy to use, no worry of the bike flying off. Can't steal rack/bike

LOVE IT!!!! Never had any issues. I have #50 downhill bikes that don't budge going 75 down the freeway.

Similar Products Used: King Cobra,Sidearm
Tracy White   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2008]
Strength:

design, ease of installation and use

cheap, brittle component

AVOID THIS RACK!! Only used twice before the fork cam assembly shattered. It never properly attached. One side would be secure while the other side was loose. I tightened it, applied very moderate pressure and multiple components shattered.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Randy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

Ease of use, speed (set once and go), security

hard to release? maybe it needs to loosen up.

WAY WAY better than the uprights i had before. hold the bikes securely--no more looking out my sunroof to see if they're still there. no rocking. only real concern is that I see other people's velo vices that are all rusty on the fork clamps--hope this doesn't happen to mine. i'll keep them oiled (but not the part that contacts the fork!!)

Similar Products Used: thule upright racks
Scott   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2007]
Strength:

Ease of use, great design if the components of the product were engineered better, can fit both Yakima and Thule racks

Engagement mechanism is plastic and breaks OFTEN. I've been through 4 of them now in a little less than two years.

I'd have serious reservations about buying these again. On the one hand, my local bike shop (Bicycle Village) has been great about getting them replaced for me and now they have a limited lifetime warranty. On the other hand they seem to break at the worst times, one was in Fruita and we had get creative to figure out how to keep one bike up there.

Luckily, mine have only ever broken at the plastic mechanism and I can always tell when they break. If the head cracked in half and sent my bike through the roof like other reviews I think I'd be taking them all off the car and finding something else pronto.

Scott   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2007]

Gui   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2007]
Strength:

Easy to use, can lock the bikes on

Durability
Reliability

This review is for the Velo Vise system mounted in Thule Aero bars.
After three years of little use I have experienced just too much trouble with this rack system. I have seen that the problems are the same as the ones reported in this review board, which makes me believe that the Velo vise system has yet to improve a lot to be considered worthwhile.
1o - Breakage ! The head unit in secured in the bars with a single bolt and it just cant take the continuous side to side loading when driving in unpaved roads (this unit is designed for disk brakes, used in MOUNTAIN BIKES, which trails sometimes required driving in unpaved roads to get to, no surprise here Thule !).Even driving carefuly, my head unit has cracked TWICE and the third time it was the bolt itself that snapped. Almost had the bike flying on the highway...

2o - The plastic roller adjuster seizes, compromising proper securing of the fork. Mine actually failed and unexpectedly realeased the fork dropouts while driving, almost resulting in a catastrophic event.

After all this trouble, I just cant trust this sytem anymore. Nothing is worse than drive to trailhaed constantly worring if the rack is going to fail. Cant recomned this. I wish I could find Yakima here in Brazil...