Thule Spare Me Bike Rack

Thule Spare Me Spare Tire Bike Carrier (963XTR). Carry up to 2 bikes on this heavy duty bike locking rack that connects right to your rear mounted spare tire.

Sam   Weekend Warrior [Sep 09, 2012]
Strength:

Can be customized
Easy to install

Rusts out very quickly
warps if you do not use center mounting location

I purchased this a few weeks ago and I remove it whenever I am not planing on biking, however I did leave it on the back of the Jeep overnight once. Although it did not rain over night the vehicle was covered in dew in the morning. This was enough water to cause the rack to start to rust. I would not have expected something of this price to rust so easily. I went to lift up the arms and rust water poured out of the ends. Quick way to ruin a white shirt I might add. Anyway, I ended up removing the caps and spraying the inside of the tubes with rust protector and let it sit overnight. Hopefully this slows down the rusting process. After reading several reviews on other sites it sounds like this thing will not last me over a year. I am not about to spend $200.00 every year to haul my bike around. I guess it is time to start looking for other options.

SCVANABS   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2010]
Strength:

Fits nicely on back of a JEEP Liberty spare tire. Useful for carrying two bikes. Went on easy.

Rusted out, Contacted Thule and there was no response. Poor customer service. Heard nothing back after several attempts.

Had to saw it off the back of the JEEP.

Check out other bike racks.

dgreenberg   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2009]
Strength:

Strong, reliable, holds bikes securely

The rack sticks way out

Very good rack. Held 3 bikes very securely driving from Cairo to Dahab, roads not very good. Nice security feature, the knobs "lock" so that a thief cannot unscrew and ride away. And the rack locks in the same fashion. I'm very happy with this rack.

chriscolemanMTB   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2009]

clip that the bike mounts on broke on the first day that i had it. I kept it about a month before returning it. It already had a significant amount of rust on it and beat my bike up pretty bad. i bit the bullet and bought a yakima roof rack system. thank goodness for rei's great customer service.

this thing is easy, cheap, but is NOT awesome

Similar Products Used: yakima rail grabber
mward58   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2008]
Strength:

Reasonably Priced compared to Hitch rack or rack mounted

Somewhat difficult to put on the first time because I had to take off the tire and rack to get the plate through the center and remove the center piece of my spare.

Excelent durable rack for money. The pads slide when you have a bike on so I used electricians tape to prevent them from sliding because one time the bikes slid together and they banged together. I always use a bungee cord to prevent the front wheels from spinning and then one to strap each bike to rack. That works well for long trips and to prevent bikes from banging together.

Similar Products Used: none
mike   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2007]

After 3 months of use I just returned mine today. GARBAGE!!!!! This rack left several dents in the underside of my frame where the bike rests on the rack. Also, I had one of the straps break.

GARBAGE!!! DO NOT PURCHASE.

John Gill   [Sep 23, 2007]
Strength:

Easy to install, simple to maintain, compact design, no straps, sturdy.

Lowering the rack from the 45 degree angle can be difficult.

Would highly recommend this rack for anyone that has a rear mounted spare tire and wants to mount 2 bikes or less. Really like the compact nature of the rack and the fact that you do not have worry about straps dangling about. Once the rack is installed you can essentially forget about it b/c it is not bulky nor does it get in the way of closing the rear door. Also, it is solid in terms of mounting b/c it feels like it is an extension of your vehicle and does NOT move.