Thule Hitching Post Bike Rack

Carry up to 4 bikes on this receiver-hitch rack--Thule's most popular model. Black powder-coated steel provides exceptional durability. Stable dual arms with adjustable, non-marring cradles fit most frame sizes and designs, including women's bikes, with no need for adapters. Convenient tilt-down design provides easy access to rear of vehicle. Anti-wobble design provides a snug fit for mount in receiver box. Locking Eye allows you to secure bikes to rack with any cable lock (sold separately). Lock hitch to receiver with Snug Tite™ lock accessory (sold separately); choose 1-1/4" or 2" receiver.

Ken Kuhlmann   [Aug 23, 2012]
Strength:

I have had my rack for 9 years and love it. This one is so simple to work with. I can have it fully loaded on my Durango, and still lower it down to get in the back of my truck. The vertical arms fold down easily when not hauling bikes, which allows you to keep it on the vehicle. Nothing sticks out in a parking lot when you are out riding. I would bet that every person who had issues with the two hitch pins, are most likely at fault for not installing correctly. The pin takes the weight issues, and the retaining strap just holds it in place. There is no sideways stress on the pins. A "bobby pin" could hold the pins in place.

The alignment of a bolt with the threaded insert can be a problem. It just takes a few moments of patience to get the bolt aligned. A little lubricant on the bolt once in a while works great. The rubber straps can surprise break on you, but they are not made to last forever.

I would recommend this one to anybody!!

Terri from N.J.   Weekend Warrior [Jun 29, 2008]
Strength:

holds several bikes

straps are weak & slide, in spite of sleeve for 2"inch hitch lots of vibration

rubber cradle slipped and bike slid down front of rack toward rv bumper & dragged along the ground. Tire gone rim filed down. worst part was it occured at 55mph approaching the on ramp for the George Washington Bridge on the N.y side. All bikes were bungied tightly to minimize vibration. Had to cut them while while parked on the narrowest shoulder as cars flew by. I thought Thule was a good brand until now. Our whole family could have been killed by this incident. Wish I knew about the need for hose clamps and tape before buying this piece of garbage. It should be recalled!

J Fitz   Weekend Warrior [Jan 13, 2004]
Strength:

Overall good construction

Needs to come with zip-stick

Good rack for the money. Spend the money and get the zipstick, couple of bungee cords and you are good to go. Don't be like these other people and complain about things that are an easy fix. It folds down, with bikes off, and able to lock it to your hitch. Not a bad rack at all. But get the stick with some bungees and everything will be fine. And if you ride enough you should already have some bungee cords anyway.

Similar Products Used: Hollywood Racks (suck)
Dave   [Apr 23, 2007]
Strength:

Product is garbage

Threaded hole to attach to receiving hitch is a pain in the a_ _. To boot I was driving along the road in windy conditions and my bike blew off the rack and it did about $200.00 worth of damage. Avoid this product at all costs

Save yourself the pain and do not buy this garbage.

Milwaukeehaze   Cross Country Rider [Sep 25, 2006]
Strength:

Holds bikes well, is sturdy, hasn't rusted, tilting features are convenient.

Threaded hole in the receiver for the bolt and Thule Lock

I have used this rack (2 bike version) for about 5 years now and it's worked well holding my bikes securely with the rubber straps. I also use 2 heavy rubber bungy cords to secure bikes to keep from swaying, moving, etc...

However, I agree with a few past reviewers about the stupid threaded hole that takes the threaded bolt they give you. Then you need to buy the $40 Thule Lock so thieves don't steal your rack.

However, I quickly rendered the situation as follows: IF YOU HAVE THIS RACK, INSTALL IT INTO YOUR HITCH RECEIVER AND THEN SLIDE IT JUST PAST THE THREADED HOLE. THEN TAKE A PEN/MARKER AND OUTLINE THE HOLES ON EACH SIDE OF YOUR RECEIVER. REMOVE THE RACK AND DRILL OUT BOTH SIDES SO YOU HAVE A HOLE ON EACH SIDE OF THE RACK RECEIVER. SINCE MANY OF US WITH HITCHES ALREADY HAVE A RECEIVER WITH A BALL AND A L0CKING HITCH PIN, YOU CAN JUST USE YOUR NORMAL HITCH PIN TO SECURE THIS RACK TO YOUR VEHICLE.

Similar Products Used: Graber Trunk Rack
Aaron   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2006]
Strength:

NONE. It worked for a while, then....

Besides dropping two bikes due to a faulty hitch pin set-up, it is difficult to put odd frames on this rack. (like a Stumpjumper), and holding on to bikes with rubber straps stresses me out

DO NOT BUY THIS RACK! This rack extends from the hitch post and has a hinge to hold it upright. This hinge is held up by a pin that goes through both portions (similar to a trailer hitch). This pin is not held in by a secondary cotter pin (like every trailer hitch pin I have ever seen). Instead, a metal latch prevents this pin from pulling out. This latch failed, allowing the pin to work its way out. My bikes dropped to the ground in motion and were dragged behing my truck for ....who knows, but the result was horrible. Over $1000 in damages, and 4 weeks of no biking (not to mention the trip I was on was ruined). Thule did acknowledge there is a problem with the rack, and they replaced the rack with a T2 hitch rack (much better product). They also paid for damages to my bike. If you have this rack, replace the pin that props the rack up with something more reliable (like a hitch pin/with secondary cotter pin). Better yet, get the T2 rack...

Similar Products Used: Roof racks from Thule
Robert   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2003]
Strength:

makes a nice coat hanger

bikes will sway
cradles move=scratches on bikes
had to spend an additional 25$ for a zipstick
overall a poor design

WTF??? I thought this rack would work well but I guess I thought wrong.
Set up is easy but as soon as you load the bikes thats when the fun begins.
I have the model 945 which holds four bikes. As soon as you hit 60-70 mph the bikes will move. I will sway dangerously and the cradles will move causing the bikes to bang against each other. I had to resort to putting hose clamps(pep boys sell them) in front of the cradles to stop it from moving. Why Thule did not include a stablizing bar(had to buy the zip stick) in the design is beyond me. I had to pull over a few times to make sure that the bikes are secure. Remember, only a rubber strap is holding down your $1500 bike. Oh well I've learned my lesson.

Saris bones
Patruck Morgan   Weekend Warrior [May 12, 2006]
Strength:

Minimum bounce on the highway, easy set-up, sleek look, and affordable

Sliding straps, slightly unstable on off-road (which it's not made for), and your paint is vulnurable to the staps that cause cable abrasion and other bike's forks may scratch the opposite end of another frame

Though I mentioned many weaknesses, I would recommend this rack because these problems are avoidable. I Drive slowly through backroads to minimize jolting, I wrapped the arms between the straps with hockey tape to keep them from sliding, and I tie old rags on the edge of each fork that would otherwise scratch the opposing frame to avoid scratching. All of these "problems" exist for all bike racks with the strap. If you revere your paint job, you might want to purchase either a roof rack or the hitch rack without the straps, but if you're more concerned with value, than this is the rack for you.

Similar Products Used: Thule trunk products and some nameless K-mart trunk rack
Jessy   [Nov 08, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap, pretty easy to use and easily removed.

Bounces around a little.

You must buy the stabilization stick with this rack. I have never used it with out the stick. Also get some hose clamps to hold the cradles in place. After that this thing works really good. Small frames can be hard to fit but I can get a 15.5 on it. I have been thinking about one of those racks that hold the bike buy the wheels but they seem like they would put too much leverage on a class 1 hitch. If you don't want to spend a ton of cash this one should work out.