Thule Gateway 3 Bike Rack

Gateway 3

The Thule Gateway 3 Bike is a robust rear mounted bike carrier featuring long dual arcing tubes which provide greater clearance over rear spoilers, this maximizes the amount of vehicles it will work with.

chikai   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2012]
Strength:

Relatively light weight

Bikes moves on tube at speed, not super confident of the attachment points

Bought this for my 2010 Prius. It was one of the few Thules that fit the car according to their configurator. The first time I installed it, I knew the attachment points were going to dig into the car's paint. Although they are coated in rubber, they left marks the first time I used them. I ended up buying clear vinyl to protect the attachment points.

The biggest downside is that the attachment modules slide on the tube frame of the rack. So just about every time I drive above 35MPH I see the bike start to inch backwards. Not the most comforting. Each time I get to my destination, the attachment modules have always been pushed at least 1.5 inches from where I started. I can just see one day the modules popping off the end.

It's relatively light and quick to install...but that's about all the positives I can say about this rack.

OVERALL