Thule Expressway Bike Rack

Thule Expressway Bike Rack

The granddaddy of the Thule rear hitch racks--with all accessories included!. Carry up to four bikes on this high-quality, 2" receiver-hitch rack; bike arms conveniently fold down when not in use. Integrated cable lock secures bikes to rack while Snug Tite™ lock eliminates wobble and locks rack to receiver. Convenient tilt-down design provides easy access to rear of vehicle. Stable dual arms with adjustable, non-marring bike cradles fit most frame sizes and designs, including women's bikes, with no need for adapters. Anti-wobble design provides a snug fit for mount in receiver box. Black powder-coated high-strength steel provides exceptional durability. Not recommended for off-road driving; not for use with tandems or recumbent bikes.

[May 06, 2011]
Blackbeerthepirate

Strength:

Built like a brick ****house. Stable at speed. The bikes don't move.

Weight

All the bells and whistles. Built in bike lock, zipstick, folding arms, tilts, anti wobble hitch pin. Holds three bikes without a problem, four is a little tight. Arms are spaced close enough for small frame bikes. Thick rubber holdy things never scratch paint. The rack does not move when loaded and you secure your bikes properly. It's an older model but works better than the new ones.

Curt 2 bike POS

[May 19, 2008]
Scott

Strength:

Solid construction. Fits 4 bikes of various shapes and sizes with a little practice. I use for a mens and womens mtb and a child mtb and a trail a bike. Doesn't sway excessively. When rack is folded down you can use the internal cable lock to provide additional security from someone removing part of it with a wrench.

Doesn't swing away and you cannot lower the rack to get into the back with the bikes attached according to the manual.

Good bike rack

[Sep 19, 2005]
Joe

Strength:

Easy to assemble and attach to hitch receiver. Rack comes with hitch lock and integrated security cable.

Bikes sway and bang together. Cradles shift during travel even on the smoothest of surfaces. Bikes bounce out of cradles and straps unsnap. The no-sway attachments don't work with full suspension bikes. Too many design flaws for the $$$$.

I would not recommend this rack if your transporting mtbs. Because I know the bikes are not safely secured in the rack I'm constantly monitoring the rearview & pulling off the road to check for shifting. This is unsafe and unacceptable. Recently, we stopped for gas on a trip home and noticed that one bike had jumped out of the cradle & was dangerously close to sliding off the one side of the rack. I even installed 1" pvc spacers between the cradles to prevent shifting and saw very little improvement.
I'm working with my local bike shop and the Thule rep. to resolve the matter. Perhaps the rack design is more suitable for road bikes.

[Aug 09, 2003]
William

Strength:

Quality of design, Ease of use. Does just about everything I could ask of it.

Price

Great rack. Superior to my friends rack that "clipped" on to the back of his truck.
Fairly light weight (I can carry with one hand--but that could just be because on my manly build), very easily folds to open my rear hatch or when not carrying a bike.
Very easily removed from the vehicle when I know I wont be using it for an extended period of time.
Rack was as advertised. The locks are a great feature and it was cheaper to buy everything together (996 model) then to add the locks at a later date. If you wait and they steal either the bike or the rack, its a little late to be thinking of adding the locks.
Took me about 5 minutes to assemble and put on the back of my Pathfinder.
Only downside for me was the price--$200 for the rack (and I got a great deal) compared to $39.95 for my friends strap on rack. Plus I didnt have a hitch, so that was another $175. But I like to do things right the frist time so I don't have problems later on and end up spending more money.
If you have a hitch and plan on riding alot its worth the money.
4 chilis because its pricey--almost as much as some low end bikes ($260 MSRP)
5 Overall because it does everything it says it does and works just as easy as advertised.

Racks that strap onto back of Truck

[Jul 05, 2004]
loonyOne

Strength:

Brute strength.
Lock included.
No-sway, lockable, integrated mounting system.
Rack tilts down to allow access to rear area of minivan/SUV.
Bike cradles hold bikes securely...see below.

Cradles like to move around in non-happy ways. Had to use some extra DirtRag stickers to keep them from moving around...and still need more attention.

The price paid for this rack was completely worth every penny. Clay, at the LBS was completely helpful with switching the 1.25" hitch mount to the 2.0" hitch mount that I needed. I have hauled four bikes on this rack and would guess the weight to be somewhere near 120#...The family's other bikes are not as svelte as Bonny. There is nearly no sway while going down the highway at speed with this much weight on the rack.
I don't really use the anti-sway bar mount as it was intended for...I just slap on a tie-down and snug everything to their happy place. The cradles like to move every which way while bikes are mounted. I used some DirtRag stickers to help with this, but may have to use some 3M adhesive spray to help them stay put.
I am very happy with this rack and would definitely buy another one if/when the 5 year warranty is needed.

Moto-styled pick-up box...complete with tie downs. ElCheapo trunk rack that was given to me.