Thule Big Mouth Bike Rack

Big Mouth

TheThule 599XTR Big Mouth Upright Bike Carrier isThe upright carrierThat setThe standard for bike carrying flexibility and ease of use. Self-adjusting jaws optimize clamping pressure regardless of downTube size Fits downtubes upTo 3.125" (80mm) diameter Clamp lever is just above load bar for easy reach Dual locking design - locks bikeTo carrier and carrierTo load bar Locks not included MaximumTire Width: 2.3 ins

Matt Tamasco   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2007]
Strength:

Super fast to mount and dismount bike; survived 30mph impact.

no security device - though I use my bike cable through the factory rack which works fine.

This rack is bullet proof. I hit an underpass at over 30mph. The way it is designed - the bike slipped out of the padded jaw and only suffered one broken wheel strap (and a bent tray which I mashed back into shape). Only cost $16 to fix the rack afterwards (no damage to bike) - and only 3 days to get the new strap from Thule. The breakout design avoided the bike coming through the rear window of the car or damaging the car's body. It was smartly designed to be strong - but give when all hope is lost. Good move, Thule!

Hint on the "wobble" issue. Mount it so the wind hits the bike square. If on an angle - the wind strength (and frequency) will cause the bike to wobble slightly due to weakness of factory bars and/or weight of bike. Nothing that would cause the bike to fall however.

Similar Products Used: Yakima; various trunk racks; Thule hitch rack
Andrew P   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2006]
Strength:

Study, holds every bike I've ever put up there, easily adjustable, allows you to place the whole bike on the rack no disasselbly required.

Locking feature seems kinds weak, I lost a part.. oops

This rack does what a rack should... It holds two bikes on top of your automobile with little effort in a quick mannor. I've never had a problem with any part of this rack. One time I forgot to clamp down the downtube clamp when I was going around a sharp corner the bike fell down sideways but remained on the rack as a result of the great rim straps... This was completely my fault I think it speaks to the quality of construction that the bike didn't fall off.

It will hold any bike W/ the exception of a sling shot or something completely missing a down tube... I've put my 26ers up there my 29ers up there everything and it holds them well..

Similar Products Used: Saris Bones... its a rack but not a top mount rack
keefe   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2002]
Strength:

Load bikes in seconds

Wind howl, trays not wide enough for 2.6 tires

Had to bend/spread tray out to fit DH 2.6 tire. Otherwise, bikes have been fine.

Brian   Weekend Warrior [Dec 26, 2001]
Strength:

Simple design - makes mounting my bike simple and quick. Even better b/c it converts to handle road bikes as well. Very high quality materials - everything fits together like it should and is a cinch to assemble. Plus, I don't have to screw around with removing a wheel like you do with fork mount carriers.

Haven't found any yet - I'm looking though!

Just got if for Xmas so haven't used it a whole lot yet (only had it a day). Amazingly simple - holds the bike securely and makes loading and unloading a snap! I'm biased though. I've used Thule racks for my skiing gear for several years and I simply think their stuff is beyond compare!

Similar Products Used: I've only used other Thule carriers for my skiing equipment. This is my first mtb carrier.
Cruzader   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2006]
Strength:

Ease of mounting and dismounting.

Weak pivot points at base of clamping arms. Easy theft item.

This is a decent bike rack for the money, but it does have its faults. The bike will sway back and forth some, but not to worry about that . . until the weak rivets & holes that connect the arms to the base get worn. Then the rack is much looser, although I havent had the bike fall off yet. Thule should really redesign that joint and make it stronger. Even when you buy these brand new, some will have play at that joint, and some won't- so make sure you check it before buying. Otherwise, I would probably recommend the Criterium for a little more money. I also had to make a couple of modifications in order to make the rack secure and thft-proof. At the very least, don't use the thumb screws that came with the kit- even just replacing them with nylock nuts will help . . the longer it takes for a thief to remove it, the less he/she will be apt to commit the crime.

Dominic   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2003]
Strength:

Good looking, hold bike really good, easy to install, easy to load and unload

Easy to steal, wheel strap too short, and flimsy, high wind noise

Mine was stolen at the night :( I wish Thule could have invented some kind of locking devices, so I don't have to remove it everytime. Besides that I am fairly happy with it.

Joe Mamma   [Jul 24, 2003]
Strength:

easy to load, don't have to take off front wheel.

Very shaky on top of car. When driving behind me while a bike is loaded, it looks like the bike is about to fall off! Cannot accomadate larger tubes, i.e. DH bikes and some free ride bikes.

I wouldnt recomend this product because of how much it allows the bike to move back and forth on top of the car. There are upright bike carriers on the market that work much better!

Rick Mescallado   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2002]
Strength:

Easy to install. Secures bike relatively well.

Easy to steal. Could use some kind of locking device so that it doesn't have to be removed every time. Wheel straps are a little flimsy.

Overall, I relatively happy with it. The convenience of the quick load/unload is what prompted me to purchase it.

So far, so good.

Michael   Cross Country Rider [Oct 07, 2004]
Strength:

easy to use, stable, holds my road bike and my jekyll

factory cam locks-broke one trying to tighten it, then got washers and nuts to hold it to rack. now more secure than before

i bought one big mouth carrier for my road bike and one super g for my jekyll. well upon subsequent trips with my jekyll in the super g and my girlfriends hardtail in the big mouth, we both noticed that her bike was more secure and didn't sway. to make long story short, the super g's ratchet mechanism is prone to slippage and i have since returned it to thule along with two others purcahsed by LBS employees who were able to duplicate the slippage after i showed them my super g. so now i have two big mouths, only problem might be for tallet mtb frames(mine is a medium) the clamp arm might not reach the frame. mine barely fits but once on, it doesn't let go. i give it a 5 for value, but only 4 overall b/c it should be able to fit my frame a little better. my road bike and any other of the six bikes i've tried all fit excellent.