Sportworks Transport Bike Rack

Sportworks Transport Bike Rack

The TransSport 2-Bike attaches to either your 2" or 1 1/4" trailer hitch. If you are using a 2" hitch, the TransSport 2-Bike can be expanded to hold four bikes with the addition of the TransSport Add-on.

[Jun 26, 2003]
John

Strength:

This is a well designed unit that is built our of quality materials. Lift and look at it and you will agree.

Is seems that the "anti-wobble" bolt should be threaded all the way through, just to relieve some of the stress on one side. However, it doesn't seem to affect the wobble.

Great unit. I just got so tired of having to take the wheel on and off. I want to pop off the bike and get going. This works very, very well for that. Picked up the anti-wobble locking bolt and the one bike extension. Solid as a rock, doesn't flop all over like the T'le and Y'ma. I am going to rig a strap across the top tubes to hold them complety upright, so all oscillations are removed. Get over the price, you will forget it by the third weekend. Had to get some extra parts from Cust Ser, they sent them right away. PS: the reviews here really helped in the selection.

Draftmaster, want to buy it cheap?(johncmcd@ix.netcom.com)

[Jun 20, 2003]
Nick

Strength:

High quality, rugged...VERY EASY/QUICK LOADING! I was looking seriously at Hollywood Team Rider and a Thule Rack-N-Lock before to talking to SportWorks. Some how I didn't get a warm fuzzy from Hollywood or Thule. After buying the SportWorks using it, and seeing the other racks in person at a bike race I have no regrets. My wife who has no upper body strength can easily load her own bike. (finally!) The fold up mechanism is precise and has clean action.
The ratchet arms have detents in their hinges to hold them in place.
Don't be surprised if you're quoted $325. I stumbled in to REI to pick it up as I had purchased over the phone and had it "shipped to store". Would't you know it, they were having a 20% off one single item purchased. Although I had to ask, they willingly gave me the discount.

Heavy and Expensive although...you get what you pay for. Sportworks should look in to threading both sides of the draw bar if only to be comensurate with the beefy-ness of the rest of the rack.
I have an SUV and I think both bikes could be sheilded from the wind and road dirt completely if their placement on the rack is moved toward the center of the vehicle. I think there is room on rack to do this but it would be a design change for SportWorks. Present per the assembly instructions the front wheels extend about 3-4 inches beyond the car.
Don't mount this on the back of a Corolla, between it and the hitch I've added about #80. With the rack down and both bikes loaded my rear wheel wells are about an 1" lower.

Buy it if you ride more than 4 times a month where you have to drive to your location and don't mind the added weight on your vehicle.

Don't buy it if you don't care about: the paint on your bike or your car, removing the front wheel of your bike, lifting your bike on to your roof, having your bike swing back and forth as it dangles from a top tube abrading trunk mount.

THERE IS NOTHING ELSE LIKE THIS RACK EXCEPT MAYBE ANOTHER SPORTWORKS PRODUCT

[May 25, 2003]
Ernest Cortez

Strength:

Biggest strength is the ease and quickness in loading/unloading your bike no matter the bike's frame style. Another strength is the ability to leave the front tire mounted at all times.

A bit pricey.

The rack's price may seem high at the time of purchase but after a few times of loading your bike following a grueling day of riding, it'll all seem worth it.

Fork mounted rack in truck bed.

[Feb 10, 2006]
Rex Skidmore

Strength:

Ease of use. Solid construction. Range of motion.

None found. It is what it is.

Worth it. Totally worth it.

See if there are any available on the secondary market (used) to save some $$$.

Also, the locking bolt and cable is a MUST HAVE.

None on hitch mount. Roof racks only, before this.

[Feb 07, 2006]
Jerry

Strength:

Durability, Ease of loading and unloading!!

NONE What so Ever

I bought this rack based solely on the reviews I read on this website. This rack is awesome and should be the last rack I ever own. It takes 5 seconds to either load or unload a bike. I have the 2" rack, and it has stayed attached to my Toyota Landcruiser for the 15 months I have owned it. I have also since purchased the 3rd and 4th bike attachments. Hauling 4 bikes with this rack is a breeze. You can't go wrong with this rack.

1st Bike Rack

[Mar 04, 2002]
Buhania

Strength:

Great design makes this thing tops.. It really secures the bikes well. I've hit a couple big bumps or rollers and the bikes don't move, no wobble, no bike chipping each other. Loading the bike is too easy, my wife can load hers in 5 seconds.

I like the setup for locking or securing the bikes too. I bought a 3 or 4 ft cable lock to lock the rack to my hitch ( keep it on all the time). And got a 20ft cable and lock that easily threads through both bikes.

None really. If I had to say something it would be that I have to lightly wedge my seat under my wife's bars to get them loaded. This is a freak of bike set-up issue really. All other combinations of bikes I'v put on the rack work fine. Maybe I should cut my wifes bars down an inch.

Buy the rack. You'll quickly forget how much it costs because you're so happy with it.

Yakima, Rhodes Gear

[Feb 19, 2002]
Craig

Strength:

Well built. Very easy to load/unload bikes. Very easy assembly.

None known

I just received this and mounted it on my truck. Have not used it yet, but I wanted to let everyone know that the best price that I found was at RackYourWorld.com. Visit the website and give them a call...they were friendly, great to work with, and great prices for this rack.

I will submit another review after using the product!

Graber trunk mount

[Dec 03, 2001]
P-Bone

Strength:

Ease of use.

Expensive. No locking devices.

You will like this rack. I get questions about it all the time and people like it.

I researched this purchase for a few weeks. Couldn't find a dealer in Atlanta that had this product. It was either on order or you had to order it and wait a few weeks. Finally found it at a southside bike shop after calling all the bike shops listed on sportworks website. Sportworks needs a better dealer network.

The rack is expensive and then you have to buy a lock. There are metal loops on the rack to run a cable lock through. The rack does wabble. You have to tighten the threaded bolt every so often. I would like to know if others have the same problem and does a anti-wabble kit help. Also, I've noticed I'm not using the liftgate on my SUV because I have the rack. It doesn't block access to the back of your vehicle but it does make it more difficult.

It is expensive but Well Constructed. This is a solid rack. There is a conflict between the seat and handlebars when you get two bikes on it, but I read where one guy said you can move the wheel hoop to resolve this. It is EASY to load. Overall I really like this rack and my cheap buddies like this rack too because they have full-suspension bikes, like an always dirty FSR, and this rack will allow me to take them and then they don't give me any gas money.

yakima lockjaw, steelhead

[Feb 04, 2002]
ERIK
Downhiller

Strength:

Ease of use. Its so simple even us Downhiller can use it. Doesnt scratch up your car. Folds up when not in use. Easiest way to Shuttle bikes.

If anything its heavy to take on and off.

I cant say much more than whats been posted already. Its by far the best rack out there, Eso fro Downhillers who dont want to take off there wheels to transport.

IF you live in the San Diego Area, You can purchase these $300 racks for only $150 right now at BIKE USA stores. They were just bought out by Performance bike and they are blowing out all there inventory.. All there racks are 50% off. Hurry up it only goes till 2-26-02.

Good luck.

All the yakimas, thules and the sorts.

[Oct 28, 2001]
Pete

Strength:

This is undoubtedly the most ingeneously designed, well-built rack I have ever used. Two bikes are mounted in about 30 seconds WITHOUT having to remove the front wheel and raise the bike over one's head (roof-rack) nor re-adjusting and tightening six straps and playing with bungie cords (trunk rack). Don't get me wrong - I like my Thule racks and still use the trunk rack on my 4-door on occasion. The Transport is a marvel of engineering. I haven't yet bought the 3rd and 4th bike add-ons, but am seriously considering it. It's hard to get much info on these add-ons; the Sportworks website is nearly useless, but the assembly sheet for the 2-bike base unit explains it quite well. Once again, a great design worthy of consideration - other than a roof-rack, I haven't found many supposed 3- and 4-bike racks that actually fit all the bikes they claim to.

1. Price - lots (most?) to spend on a hitch-mount for 2 bikes. 2. Requires a hitch receiver on the car if don't already have one. 3. Heavy, but you know it won't go where you don't want it to.

A wonderfully conceived and executed rack for 2-4 bikes (though I only have the 2-bike base unit... so far). Bikes mount in no time flat almost effortlessly. The construction is rugged and apparently bomb-proof. This is an outstanding example of great American engineering and manufacturing!!! Gear on the Go was great to deal with; they know racks. (And no, I don't work for Sportswork nor Gear on the Go)

Thule Velo-Vise roof-rack, Thule Easy-Rider trunk rack