Sportworks Transport T2 Bike Rack

The TranSport T2 builds upon our proven Quick-load concept, offering the ultimate in flexibility, durability and confidence. The streamlined, ride-ready design carries a wide range of bike styles and sizes from kid’s bikes with 20” wheels up to bikes with 29” wheels. Eliminate bike interference with tray-to-tray adjustability. Feel confident with our Ratcheting Quick-load system(RQL) and innovative rear wheel lockdown. Best of all, the T2 is designed and manufactured by the company who put over 50,000 bike racks on buses carrying over 12 million bikes each year. It's long on features, competitively priced and built with heart in the USA.
Features:

• No wheel removal, no frame contact
  • Eliminates bike interference
  • 4 bikes – 2" hitch, 2 bikes –11/4" hitch
  • Folds up for storage and down for access
  • Fits a wide range of bikes
  • Carries bikes up to 60 pounds
  • Handles wheels 20" – 29" and up to 3.0" wide
  • Ratcheting rear wheel lockdown
  • Bomber anti-wobble feature
  • Locking accessory available

Michael Geiger   Weekend Warrior [Feb 04, 2007]
Strength:

Well Built. Folds up smoothly and easily. Quick and easy to load. Secure.

It weighs more than two of my bikes combined.

This is just so well built and made in USA! Bronze sintered bushings and grade 8 bolts for the folding mechanism, just so above and beyond. No wobble, no histrionics, my bikes just stay put, as they should. I was a little put off by the price, but now that I have it and have used it, it was worth every dollar! Even the lock is well made, Stainless steel bolt with an o-ring to keep debris out of the lock. I purchased this rack as the Thule 917 T2 (1 1/4 hitch). I am rating it here as I read that it is made by Sportworks. I was concerned about its weight hanging off the back of my WRX, but no problem at all. It is even high enough to keep the tires out of the exhaust flow (a problem with the Roadgear which resulted in a tire being cooked till it ruptured. Anyone who wants a well made rack, this is the one.

Similar Products Used: Roadgear two bike rack.
John   [Jun 17, 2007]
Strength:

Extremely quick and easy to mount bikes, very secure. It's nice to not have bug splattered all over my frame (like with a roof rack). The entire rack locks securely to the hitch receiver with Thule's hitch-lock add-on.

Doesn't fold up against my Civic (hitch receiver is too far underneath the car), so I have to leave it down, but I new this might be the case before I got it, so no big deal. The "locks" on each arm are worthless! Just squeezing the release lever extra hard will defeat the lock mechanism (and possibly damage the lever, mine got stuck). Someone could also remove the bike from the front wheel (quick release) and take both parts that way. Luckily, I had cannibalized my locks from my old roof rack, so I hadn't spent any money on them, but Thule has no business marketing this rack as "lockable" with these two serious flaws. I e-mailed Thule about it and never got a reply, so I'm not pleased with their customer service, either.

I bought this rack to replace my roof rack. The roof rack functioned very well, I never had any problems with it except for the fact that it was hurting my Civic's gas mileage, even with the fairing. Despite its flaws, this is an excellent rack, and I prefer it to any other rack available on the market. Just plan on using a chain or cable lock to secure your bikes and don't invest in the locks.

Similar Products Used: Thule roof rack.
Spokenipple   Racer [Mar 14, 2007]
Strength:

Stable, super-quick to load, doubles as a decent workstand.

Changes made by Thule after purchasing Sportworks. Otherwise this is still the best rack on the planet.

Last summer I had to replace my newer-model Sportworks with the Thule version after someone rear-ended me. It's still the best thing going but I don't care for the minor changes made by Thule. Why do companies always have to screw up something that's perfect?

For starters, the brackets that hold the crossbars onto the main beam are made of a thinner metal than before, and they don't fit as well either. They switched to a bolt that uses a scrawny 5mm allen wrench and has a button head instead of the old 8mm cap head bolts that were better. I have no idea why they'd change this....seems stupid.

The ratchet straps were changed to a cam-type buckle that I don't like as much as the old ones, but it still works well. They need to make them out of beefier metal and perhaps with a longer cam lever -- one of mine has twisted because a friend tried to close it with too much tension. His fault, but the product should be built strong enough to take that with hand pressure.

They changed the way the main beam bolts up to the hitch, too. Again....still works, but.

I'd buy it again. I like the Sportworks rack a lot more than the similar Saris version -- much less user friendly and stable. The new Yakima looks great but I've yet to see that one in person.

The Sportworks is definitely worth the money and you won't be sorry. Easy for kids and women to quickly mount the bikes, no mud on your clothes when putting a dirty bike on the rack, and simple to use in the dark, too.

Similar Products Used: Hollywood, Saris
Dylan   [Jun 24, 2006]
Strength:

Overbuilt, simple to use

No lock

Love this rack, but gotta sell it. I need my hitch back. So I'm selling it on eBay today. But if you need a hitch rack, this one's highly recommended. I really appreciated the fact that I could fold this down while loaded and still get in my WRX wagon's back hatch. Minus one chili for no lock, though. Plus one for the recommendation from Chris at Speedgoat.

Similar Products Used: None
The Dude   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2005]
Strength:

Easy to load/unload. No scratches to car or bikes.

Does not fare well through automatic carwashes. Mine got mangled. Sales rep nor carwash warned me. Now that Thule owns them, it's taking time to get replacement parts. At least it is almost the end of the season so I can have it fixed by next season.

The finish is not as durable as your car. So don't use high pressure hoses on it.

The locking mechanism (extra add-on) can't be reached easily with my hitch since it is low and under the car. Made a locking point out of a large eye bolt and washers from home depot. I fastened it to one of the 3rd&4th bike expansion holes. Not the most secure, but a definate deterrant.

It is a pricey bike carrier. No regrets spending the extra money. Don't go in a car wash!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donald   Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2005]
Strength:

Super solid, no waobble or shaking while driving, easy to use, locks in up/down position very solidly.

Doesn't come with accessories like a locking bolt or cable. Most other racks at this price point include all the upgades.

This is far and away the best hitch mount bike rack available! It is super solid and sturdy, doesn't move at all once everything is mounted up. I have been using Yakima roofracks for years, so when I got a new vehicle, I figured I go with the high-end Yakima hitch rack, but the new racks from Yakima missed the mark! It says it will hold 4 bikes, yeah right! I only needed room for 3 and it was such a pain in the butt I took it back. So, I had the guy at the bike shop try to load 4 standard mountain bikes on the rack and after he scrathed the crap out of the 3rd bike, he gave up. They simply weren't very well thought out, bikes hit each other or worse yet ride against each other, causing serious damage to your finish, if you can fit them all on together, it just sucked! Granted this rack only holds 2 bikes, but the available add-ons racks increase that to 4 if you need it. This Sportworks T2 is so easy to use, my 9yr old daughter loads her own bike in about 15 seconds. The only thing easier would be to ride your bike wherever you're going. The only thing I would change is include the locking bolt to lock it to the vehicle. I've seen them for around $20-25, but for the price of the rack initially, it should have been part of the deal. Most other racks at this price point come with all the options included. But for the quality and ease of use, it's well worth the price!!! The only reason I gave it 4 chilis for value is the fact that the locking bolt is separate.

Similar Products Used: Yakima roofracks (various), Yakima Slicrock 4
Rob   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2005]
Strength:

Built like a tank, fast and easy to load and unload, tilts down with bikes mounted to access vehicle

Anti-wobble bolts are a cruel joke, sticks wwwaaayyy out the back of the vehicle

Although it was a bit of a nightmare to get my hands on this rack (Thule Canada doesn't stock them yet, and Sportworks doesn't sell them through Norco anymore, so I had to suffer through Supergo in the USA to get one), it was worth the wait. It is the only rack like it on the market that offers the must have tilt-down feature that allows you to access the back of your vehicle (trunk, SUV hatch, etc.) without taking off the bikes. Others like the Saris Cycle-On are actually nicer racks overall, but lack this one feature, making them almost useless for me. I thought that it would be hard to move the rack up and down with the bikes on it, but it was actually pretty easy. Pull the pin, yank the lever, let the rack drop down. To put it back, just lift the bikes until the rack locks into place, replace the pin, and you're off.

It seems that on almost any Nissan SUV hitch, the anti-wobble bolts are mostly useless. The top anti-wobble bolt is more than an inch too far away from end of the hitch reciever to actually be of any use. And if you want to use the locking hitch pin you already own, you have to do without the side anti-wobble bolt. With all of the engineering that went into this rack, I would have hoped they could solve such a simple problem.

Despite the shortcomings, this rack is well built, easy to use, and worth the trouble of getting one.

demo_slug   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2005]
Strength:

fast unloading

eats forks. drops bikes. product suport is finger pointing between sportworks and thule.

I got the hitch mount. I like the the old transport for roof applications. but I have seen bikes dangling off them.

this T2 bike rack is not compatible with large tires and big forks. beware if you have a sherman fork. Per sportworks the sherman tests the limit of teh rack's capability.

tried sorting out my issues with thule and sportworks. but they are usless.

supergo is giving me my money back without issues. but I'd need to sue thule to replace my fork.

1 flamin' chili becuase rule one for a rack is don't damage bikes.

Similar Products Used: sportworks transport.
Terry   [Apr 08, 2005]
Strength:

Solid product, holds bikes well.

Verticle "anti-wobble" pin does not work on 2005 4Runner factory receiver, feature is useless. It's too far away from the horizontal hitch-pin. Lockable hitch-pin was easily stripped out.

Good product, easy to load/unload bikes. I stripped out the bolt that came in the lock kit, and now Sportworks it telling me that I have to buy a new kit in order to replace the bolt. Kind of a rip-off, but I guess it was my fault. The verticle "anti-wobble" feature doesn't work on my factory receiver, rendering the feature useless. Seems that this feature is new for the T2. I kinda wish I would have bought the T1, as I bought this based on the great reviews of the T1 model. The only serious gripe I have is having to pay $20 for a 50 cent bolt.

Similar Products Used: Yakima roof rack.
ZAC   Downhiller [May 11, 2005]
Strength:

STRONG, EASY TO USE, RELIABLE, DOESN'T WOBLE LIKE MOST STANDS

NONE.... IT IS A LITTLE HEAVY TO PUT UP AND TAKE DOWN ALL DAY BUT THAT IS WHY IT FOLDS UP AND THATS THE PRICE YOU PAY TO HAVE SOMETHING THAT IS BULLIT PROOF

GET THIS RACK THIS RAACK BEATS ALL OTHERS EASYLEY...iT CAN CARRY A LARGE RANGE OF BIKES AND IT CAN CARRY UP TO 4 OF YOUR BEST BIKES WITHOUT A WORRY