Saris Thelma Rack Bike Rack

Saris Thelma Rack Bike Rack

TheThelma securely cradlesThe bikeToThe rack usingThe wheels. NoneedTo worry about full suspension or ladies frames fitting, as long asit hasTwo wheels(26", 700c, 29") it will fit. Works with 29erToo! Hitch rack - Work with 1 1/4" and 2" Folds up when not in use Never contactsThe bike frame Unique wheelTrays accommodate road slicks right upTo DH knobbies and now 29" mtb wheels! Weight limit - 35lbs per bike Works with 700c road and crossTires, 29" & 26" mtbTires

[Jul 01, 2014]
argibson

Strength:

The fatal flaws outweigh any strengths. If it didnt bouce the bikes around and into each other, and didnt bend under normal and in spec conditions, I would like it for its folding, no frame touch and fit to 1.25 and 2" hitches. But it is flimsy and cheap.

Flimsy

I bought this rack for its ability to work with both 1.25 and 2" hitches, ability to carry up to three bikes varying in wheel size, folds up when not in use, and doesn't touch the frame. Unfortunately, it is mostly plastic and lightweight tubing, and the bikes are not stable...they bounce around a lot and get into each other. The "stinger" part (the part that goes into the hitch) on my rack also bent after a couple uses with much less weight than it is marketed as being able to handle and on normal driving conditions. Saris customer service wasnt helpful.

[Oct 28, 2013]
dan romans

Strength:

We have the 2 bike Thelma on our 2001 Jeep Cherokee and it holds the bikes very well without moving around. The rack is easy to use.

One huge weakness. The nut that holds the rack tightly in the 1-1/4" trailer hitch on my Jeep is retained by a flimsy plastic retainer. When I needed to remove the rtack, the plastic retainer broke, the nut just turned with no way to hold it. Now, how do I get the rack off? Chris at Saris said to push a screwdriver in from the front and jam it against the dut to keep it from turning. What? The front is welded solid. It will take a cutting torch to make an opening there. Right next to the gas tank too...

Wondering why they don't use a welded nut plate like everybody else does.

[Aug 31, 2013]
Steve

Strength:

Convient

Warranty

My Saris Bones was such a simple answer to a big problem that when I bought my Smart for Two I turned to them for a bike transport solution. I selected the Saris Thelma II, installed a Curt hitch and was off to the intersection of Happiness & Fun. THEN IT ALL CAME TUMBLING DOWN!

While off loading my carbon fiber road bike I noted that the rear wheel tray had cracked and indeed one side had completely snapped off......NO PROBLEM, I THOUGHT, MY SARIA THELMA II HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY. So off to REI to have them handle the replacement of the defective part. Now to be clear, REI DID THEIR PART BUT SARIS MADE IT A MISERABLE EXPERIENCE THAT I WILL NOT PUT MYSELF IN LINE TO BE DUPLICATED IN THE FUTURE......THULE OR YAKIMA FOR ME IN THE FUTURE.

WHY? The REI manager inspected the damage, took a picture in the parking lot and escorted me back in to the store where he immediately notified Saris Customer Service of the problem and requested the part be warrantied and forwarded to his store for installation ASAP. Love that REI customer service support , BUT, upon completing his request, we hear the SARIS REP SAY, AND I QUOTE "WE DO NOT WARRANTY OUR CARRIERS AGAINIST ROUGH DRIVING!" LET ME REMIND YOU THAT SARIS PROMOTES A LIFETIME WARRANTY (THAT MEANS NOTHING) AND, AND THIS IS KEY, I DRIVE A SMART CAR .........HOW DAMNED ROUGH DO YOU GET WITH A 3, COUNT EM' 3 CYLINDER CAR THAT'S LESS THAN 8 FEET LONG. ADD TO THIS THE FACE THAT THE CARRIER WAS ONLY SUPPORTING A CARBON FIBER ROAD BIKE!

SO THE LESSON LEARNED IS REI GOOD, SARIS BAD, DO NOT BUY SARIS PRODUCTS OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF BEING SCREWED!

[Apr 04, 2013]
jm

Strength:

If you have a 26 inch wheel mountain bike- shallow box style rims- the wheel cradle and supplied ratchet style straps (albeit too short for any tubeless or higher profile rim), this rack could work. You would think a company like Saris, employing engineers would realize that a 3-5mm longer strap would vesting improve their design. Selling mine and looking at other brands. I have 29er and road bikes with 50mm wheels and the Thelma just falls short in design.

Doesn't carry most bike designs

Wanted to like it. Just didn't work.

[Oct 08, 2012]
stygz1

Strength:

Easy to use. Holds bike securely. Rides will behind vehicle

Could be alittle wider framed to for longer wheel based bikes. But my bike fits fine.

I bought this rack because of the light weight and value. It rides nicely behind my mid size crossover. My bike fits securely and does not move while traveling. I run a 2.1 kenda slant 6 and the wheel straps fit fine. I could see if you had wider tires you would want to call Saris to get a second set of straps and link them together (probably at no charge). I researched alot of racks and this one seems to have lots of value. If you are looking at the Thelma 3 I believe that rack holds the most bikes of most all hitch racks ( non frame clamping type ) using the 1.25" hitch. Most other racks that can expand from 2 to 4 bikes require a 2" hitch to use the expansion rack. At this time I have lots of confidence in the Thelma to carry my Trek Fuel EX8 without issue. Great warranty also.

swagman

[Jun 23, 2011]
subspd

Strength:

Light weight, strong, fits 29" wheels! Fits 1 1/14 & 2" hitches with INCLUDED adapter.

none...

To me its been the best rack ever it works great on my little civic and on my lifted Tacoma. I can easily swap between and since it only weighs about 24lb it doesn't cause the civic to drag its tail around. Also it fits both 29ers easily never had a problem even when running 2.3 tires.

first hitch rack

[May 23, 2011]
Zoke2

Strength:

Light weight and easy to load the bikes on or off. Great fit for smaller cars and Excellent customer service from Saris

The straps may be a little short for larger tires but in 2 years I have only had one problem with this rack. One of the stops cracked after 2 years but it was probably more due to my jamming a 650b wheel into the rack set for a 26" wheel. I have found that over time the the piece the holds the front wheel will bend slightly, it doesnt affect the security of the bike but it just seems a little flimsy

I have gotten a lot of use out of this rack over the years and when I needed extra straps for larger tires Saris sent them to me for free and when I cracked one the the lock stops Saris again sent me all the parts to replace it for free. Excellent rack and an Excellent company. If this rack was under $200 I would say its the best deal out there ... at $250 its a little over priced for what it is.

Saris Bones

[Mar 19, 2011]
Robert Rose

Strength:

Great rack. Light weight bike, does not touch car, nothing to scratch carbon frames.

Straps short for Zipp 404's on the road bike

I have the rack mounted on a hitch on a Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet. The Cycle-on was a little heavy but at 26 pounds the Thelma is perfect. Easy to install rack and easy to put bikes on it. The bike does not contact the car and with this rack I can travel to races with the top down. One of a very small group of hitch mount racks that will carry a full suspension mountain bike.

Saris Cycle-on pro, numerous roof racks

[Mar 13, 2011]
tahoebum

Strength:

No contact with frame, easy to use. Can load 2 bikes in less than 1 minute. Will easily accommodate 26", 29er, or road bike with no adjustments. Compact and lightweight, folds up easily.

70 lb weight limit, so if you have 2 downhill bikes, look elsewhere.

Best rack I've owned. Super easy to use just a 2 second adjustment needed for my buddies with 29ers. Super secure with no frame contact.

Thule.

[Oct 01, 2010]
stormpeakco

Strength:

NO need to remove front wheels and find a place to store 'em on a trip nor worry about repeatedly dinging the disc rotors (no issues about road bike front brake rub), don't need to worry about driving into garages and inadvertently removing the 5+K bike from the roof (like a friend x 2), light weight, durable (driven over 15K miles without issues to endurance rides in CO, CA and OR), hitch mounted-still can use hatch with bikes loaded, can see all with rear view mirror that all is OK on long sojourns, quiet, swings easily out of the way, less expensive, holds both mtbs and road bikes without issue or additional adjustment, no fear incurring damage to frames or cables, lockable to the hitch and bikes with Yakima cable lock keyed with same key by ORS Racks, takes 20-30 secs to load or unload each bike (if not cable locked), incredible customer support/personnel at Saris

the ratchet wheel straps are too short for friend's deeper dish CF road wheels and wheel holders are too narrow for buddies wide knobby mtb tires over 2.35"s (rarely if ever need such rubber here in SS and my Hutchinsons pythons 2.0" and wife's 2.1" Maxxis are no problem)

What a sweet all season long set up for bikes (only wish I had a 3 bike thelma rather than a 2). With a hitch mounted Thelma rack I needn't worry about entering garages, removing the wheels/lifting someones heavy p.o.s. onto the roof, damage to frames/cables, bugs, wind noise (minimal loss of mpg with our hybrid escape). Most def, have recommended to many friends/strangers who have asked about it. Personnel/customer support from the folks in WI couldn't be better (for the folks living on the west coast, equivalent to the guys at Les Schwab Tires).

tailgate/bike frame mounted p.o.s'. by Yakima and many friends bike racks/roof rack mounted with skewers.