Saris Roof Rack Bike Rack

Saris Roof Rack

Dan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

Holds the bikes there. Easy on and off.

Fork mounts have been kind of weak. I've got both the old design which can have the angle adjusted as well as the new design which is set. The old design was nice because you had the convenience of rotating the fork down although I'll admit, when the wheel was actually in there it wouldn't stay in one place regardless of how tight you got it. Gave me more than a couple scares on the highway. Also, it doesn't hold paint worth anything and rusts very easily. The new design is far more rigid although it sticks too far up so I can't enter parking garages with it on. I wouldn't say my car is incredibly tall either, just a Subaru Outback. The design also has a problem with paint chipping easily. As far as the actual bike mounts go I'd say they're pretty strong although I have had consistent problems of the rear mount not staying tight and therefore moving around. It's not as rigid as systems like Thule but it does well enough.

Here's what it comes down to. In April my buddy and I were driving through Wyoming when he hit a patch of ice and slid off the road. Both of our bikes(one of them a 50 pound cruiser) were still there when we came to a stop in a ditch. Also I might add on that same trip we got my car up to 118 on a mountain in Utah and the bikes were perfectly stable. It's a nice rack although there are still some kinks to work out. Not bad but get a Thule instead.

Similar Products Used: Thule
Carlos   Weekend Warrior [Jun 04, 2003]
Strength:

Looks, strength, locking mechanism.

Wind whistling, but this can be fix with the fairing.

This is the easiest roof mount rack I have ever seen or used. I take it off after every use and it only takes me a couple of minutes. No one will be able to do that with other brands. make sure you buy the fairing as the rack (like all the others) makes a lot of noise.
I have never had a problem with securing my bikes, and I take the car to 80mph and everything stays there. The locks I only use to make sure the rack does not become loose. I use some other way to lock my bikes.

Similar Products Used: Trunk racks
Paul   Weekend Warrior [Mar 27, 2006]
Strength:

Very strong and secure. Nice design and low profile - found other racks to be bulky looking and sit too high off roof. Incredibly easy to put on/take off. Nice that there is one key for locking the rack to the car and the mount to the rack. The locking skewers are nice in that the inner bold has a notch that must be aligned with the notch in your fork. At first I found this annoying - then I realized that this enables you to close the clamp without breaking a few fingers, then turn it clockwise to tighten it to the perfect snugness without a ton of trial and error.

Whistles like a banshee - can quickly and easily be solved by placing electrical tape over the grooves on the bars. Got the faring for free from my LBS, but I don't like it. It is too short so its difficult to get it up high enough to divert the wind over the bar. I also found it a pain to adjust.
The fork mount kept loosening on me. I'd tighten the adjusting screws, but after a week or so of use they would loosen to the point that I could here them wobbling a bit over the smallest bumps. This is the only reason I give it 4 chili's instead of 5. I applied some lock-tite to the screws and reset them. Hoefully that will do the trick or I will have to contact Saris.

I am very happy with the rack. The crossbars are extremely tight and secure. IMO the rack is more attractive than any other I've seen. It is by far the easiest rack to install. You can easily do it yourself in about 2 minutes. I would definately recommend this rack for its security, easy of use, and overall design

Similar Products Used: Thule roof rack
Tom   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2006]
Strength:

Strong. Easy to set up. I've used it to carry and boxed up new recliner, an assembled Weber bbq grill, etc. I bought right angle braces at the hardware store, put the nuts and bolts so the bolt (round head) slid in the Saris slot and use them to hold lumber in place. This rack will hold anything.

Noise. But, I haven't purchased a fairing.

Buy it.

T C   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2003]
Strength:

great design. Entire rack on and off the car in less than 10 mins. We carry our tandem on this thing all over the state and it has never given us any problems. Integrated locks (we have the optional locks on the tandem mount as well) make sure the rack and bike stays put. Great not having to remove the front tire to mount the tandem.

after a few years the paint job isn't looking so hot. Also noise when not "tapped up". Noise problem is easily solved by a $2 roll of black duct tape. Just cover the grove on top of the rack, and the slits underneath by the towers.

Best rack out there. Look on ebay and mtbreview, you can usually get a good deal on a used one. Check the saris website for proper racks. Get the upright mounts which are lockable. Take the wheel straps off when not using them. Get a roll of black duct tape.

Best thing is that the rack comes off in 10 mins when not in use.

Similar Products Used: none, first roof rack. Much perfer to use trunk racks and hitch mounts, but the tandem is just too long
Jay   [Jul 31, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to switch between cars
Reasonably priced
Good aesthetics

Hard to use fork mounts with some forks
Fork mounts not tight enough in track
Not enough accessories

I've used this rack now for almost 3 years and have had very good luck with it. Saris has a great customer service department and if I lose a small part (such as the daisy wheels) they don't hesitate to send me new ones free of charge. One thing I'm not crazy about is the actual security of the bike when it's on the rack. I have the security cable but it doesn't instill much confidence in me. The cable is pretty thin and could easily be cut with a wire cutter. I really like the idea of Thule's fork mount where the mount actually locks the fork to the mount. I might buy it again, but when looking for new vehicles, it has caused some problems. Seems that the Saris rack isn't compatible with a lot of factory roof racks. Would like to see them find a way to rectify that. But overall, I have been happy with the system.

Similar Products Used: old generic rooftop carrier converted to use in the back of a pickup
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2001]
Strength:

Very sturdy, just about dead quiet with the fairing. Very easy to install.

Deafening noise w/o the fairing.

Holy moly! Without the fairing you will be driven (ha ha) f*cking crazy. Get the fairing if you value your sanity. Over all this is a great roof rack. It is very easy to install. It only took me 10 mins to install it on my Civic. Very strong, and stable.

Similar Products Used: Rhode Gear rear rack...no comparison.
Justin   cross-country rider [Nov 13, 1998]

Performance: The performance is great. (of course, except the wistle w/out a fairing or the equivalent) I bunch of us headed north to Flagstaff with 4 bikes on the top of a minivan. The driver was hitting 90 mph at times, and then we drove on ROUGH gravel roads, I was worried and could not believe we hadn't lost a bike, but after that trip I was sold on Saris and bought a Saris rack for my car.
Style: I will have to say I am sold on Saris. If you are putting racks on cars and still want to have it look nice, then go with a Saris. The lower profile and oval shaped rack look great.

Donovan   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2001]
Strength:

Looks, Easy to install

fork mounts

It was an expensive day, buying the racks, two fork mounts, and having it all installed. I made it about ten miles from the bike shop before turning around and going back to buy the fairing. The noise and wind drag were acceptable on maybe a CJ, but not on the maxima. It's held up well for the first season, looks pretty nice, and seems sturdy enough not to hold on to the bike through the sunroof (ok that was just the first trip).

Two beefs;
1) The fork mounts are okay, but could be so much better. Saris do you read these reviews? The thule mount has that neat adjustment wheel that makes sure you have a snug fit, and it's easy to do it one handed. The Saris fork mounts have regular ol' quick release skewers, and depending on your fork it's tough to clamp down and be confident nothing's coming loose.

2) I don't mind a Saris logo that's say 4" high, but one foot?! I'm flipping mine over until Saris starts sending me checks each month for advertising.

The ideal combo would be Saris racks with Thule trays. But I'm overall happy with the product, enough for four chilis anyway..