Saris Bones Bike Rack

Bones

Saris BonesTrunk/Rear Mount Bike Racks is an easy wayToTransport your bike with your car. Comes assembled Includes bike hold-down straps and anti-sway straps AdjustsTo fit most vehicles Fits 2 bikes

LannaRider   [Dec 29, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight, easy to install and set up.

Under-engineered, razor thin margins of safety.

I got this rack for my SUV after reading these reviews. I wasn't overly concerned about the paint issues because my SUV is 12 years old and already has lots of scratches. The rack had performed well over the last 3 months or so but yesterday when loaded with 3 bikes, I hit a dip in the road and one of the top straps that attach the rack to the car snapped. Luckily I was going slowly and a near disaster turned out to be only an inconvenience. After unloading the bikes, tying a knot in the strap and then reloading, I backed up the system with a rope from my roof top luggage carrier so it wasn't really a problem but the situation should have never occurred in the first place. I certainly can not recommend this product until Saris beefs up the straps, especially the top ones.

born2fly75   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2012]
Strength:

Good price and easy to assemble / load bikes. Seems to be sturdy at all speeds although the bike does move around some.

Unfortunately, I must agree that this product marred/scratched the clear coat on my trunk after only about 10 uses. That's a major design flaw and unacceptable.

I would not buy this product again due to the damage it caused to the paint on my car.

SanDiegoDirt   Weekend Warrior [May 05, 2012]
Strength:

Very easy to set up.
Holds the bike securely.
Saris customer service is excellent.

None. Has not failed me in any way.

I drive a Ford Mustang with a spoiler, so my options for a trunk mount rack were pretty limited. I have made numerous trips between San Diego and Las Vegas (some with extremely high winds) and a 2400mi trip to Texas and back with absolutely no issues. So far no problems with the plastic screws that came with the rack. The key I think is to realize that they are not the primary way the legs secure to the center tube - the grooves do almost all of that work. just tighten them down enough so the legs don't slide. As for the feet marring the surface of the car, just wipe them and the contact areas clean before putting the rack on. Three years of heavy use has shown me the quality of this product. Highly recommended.

pitbull30   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2012]
Strength:

Easy to setup
Easy to figure out
Great Bike Support

None so far, but I am skeptical of some of those plastic twist screws

I give 5 chilis based off of the fact I got this from a local seller used for 60 bucks. I never owned a bike rack, but this one took me about 10 minutes to set up my first time. After I took it out/tested it the first time to get my bike somewhere I had it setup in 2-3 minutes after for the return ride home.

Similar Products Used: None
Misssha   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2011]
Strength:

Loved, loved, loved my Saris Bones 3. I traveled from Detroit, MI to New York and 2 months later did Detroit to Las Vegas to California and back with no problems at all. I will be buying another one soon.

The only drawback is the nylon straps that proved to be quite easy for some idiot to cut and steal the rack

I will always have a Saris Bones but will put it in the trunk when not in use.

Similar Products Used: None
therblig   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 2011]
Strength:

strong, lightweight, stays put

none really

worked great on my saturn wagon and didn't skip a beat when moved to a malibu. straps are well marked and easy to cinch. when it's attached and i grab it, the whole car rocks. this baby doesn't move.

Similar Products Used: cheap big box rack
Shane   Weekend Warrior [Jul 05, 2011]
Strength:

This is the only trunk rack out of a half dozen I tried that fit my 2006 Honda Civic. It is solidly built even give the only two design flaws I can see (easily overcome), when installed properly you might think it was an included accessory with the car itself. My bike does not move when it's on this rack, I've taken it over 1000 miles on highways as well as rutted roads with a single bike or two and it's performed fine. For what it's worth, it hasn't scratched MY paint.

The plastic screws, of course. Out of the box, one of my screws was stripped, and the replacement stripped immediately as well. I think I'll take the advice of a previous reviewer and just replace with metal lugs the outer screws which never really need adjusting once set to fit your car unless you REALLY need to fold it up completely. Even with a stripped screw, however, if you tension the straps correctly, this thing is mega solid - the arms lock onto the grooved shaft and the feet are solid against your car.

If you are an avid sportsman, a roof rack might be better; if you have an SUV or a truck with a tow ball socket, that could also be better... but if you're on a budget, doing only bikes, and want something light, solid, and absolutely functional - this is definitely a rack I would recommend.

Similar Products Used: Half dozen various Thule, Yakima, Bell trunk racks
RDTigger   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2011]
Strength:

Fully adjustable to fit all types of vehicles. I have a sedan and can easily carry my 29er and a 26er MTB. I have the Bones3 for added space. The bike latches in fairly well and the straps are great to tie down wheels and such. I also have a few small bungees to hold moving components in place. Light and versatile enough for the smallest of cars.

Not as permanent as a hitch, but not all vehicles have one so this makes the Saris versatile enough for the smallest of cars. Wish the foot holds had better cushioning to protect a paint job but no marks as of yet.

Great piece of equipment built from rugged plastics and just enough aluminum. Folds down for storage and extremely light considering you can carry up to 2/3 bikes at one time. They don't come any more versatile for the family with different types of vehicles with the turn of a few screws.

I would suggest this to anyone who does not have a trailer hitch.

piperdardo   Weekend Warrior [Mar 04, 2011]
Strength:

Easy to setup, excellent construction. Very easy to mount.

Metal clams do not have at least a thin rubber protection to avoid scratching the edges of your trunk.

Excellent product. Exactly what I needed to carrry my bikes in a secure and efficient manner with my Peugeot 206.
I cannot think of ANY car or SUV where this rack would not work...Overall? Excellent!

Kase   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2011]
Strength:

Good price, stable

not idiot-proof

I'm happy with my Bones 3. There you go. It only took about ten minutes total to set up the first time right out of the box. Setup was easy and the rack functioned well. I've had my bike on it at 70 mph on the highway with 25 mph gusting crosswinds and the bike never so much was twitched. This is a good, solid rack and easy to use provided you take time to actually read the instructions and don't go all Hulk Smash on the tightening screws. Also, I can't see how this would hurt a car if employed properly. I have it on a Toyota Yaris hatchback and it works wonderfully.

The few reviews I've read here lead me to believe that people screw this rack up because they either don't read the instructions, get stupid over-tightening things or plain old don't use the rack properly. I love mine and plan on using it for as long as it holds out.