Saris Backpacker 4000 Series Bike Rack

Backpacker 4000 Series

• Holds two bikes and is expandable to four bikes with the 4000 add on kit.
  • Accessory rear light (model 985) and locking cable (model 981) available.

• User Reviews (3)

Dan   Racer [May 21, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy to take on/off. Cheap. Easy trunk access.

This product is NOT designed for a bike w/aerobars or road bars. If I mount my tri bike, the aerobars stick out beyond the sides of the car (beyond the side view mirror). I have to turn my handle bars in to make sure they don't stick out.

It also sticks out really far from the back of the car. I have an old 94 honda, and it sticks out several feet beyond the bumper.

Finally, it wobbles.

Not a bad rack for the money, but far from perfect.

stan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2002]
    Strength:

Its quick and easy to install,reasonable priced. The bikes fit vrry well. My disc brakes fit with my large frame, but if you have a smaller bike a forkup is needed.

The instructions wre horrible, and I could not figure out how to install the reflector on the end. I ended up using silicone. No locking device.

It's a good quality rack for the money. It needs a loop welded to the tray to lock your lock on. Also check out your reciever hitch to make sure your not overloaded.

Similar Products Used: Rhode Gear, Saris
    Chris   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 2005]
    Strength:

Simple, Simple, Simple.
    No plastic.
    Very reliable

starting to rust a bit after two years.

This has been the best rack I've had (out of quite a few). Simple engineering results in an effective, reliable product. We use ours quite a few times a week. Don't know why saris has discontinued it! I'll probably buy another to stash in the basement to use when this one wears out.