Performance XPORT Flatbed Bike Hitch Rack Bike Rack

XPORT Flatbed Bike Hitch Rack

• The design makes it easy to mount the bikes – no overhead lifting or front wheel removal required
  • Rack folds up out of the way when not in use
  • Tilting base allows easy access to the rear of your vehicle
  • Powdercoated steel construction
  • Fits wheelbases from 17" to 58"

• User Reviews (19)

Chris   [Jul 06, 2013]
    Strength:

Easy on and off, both the bikes and from the car.

Stupid people who think they do not need to secure their bike to the rack. Do not blame the equipment if you did not lock your bike to the rack.

Have had this for over 7 years, rock solid. Drove from Chicago to L.A. and back with two bikes on the back. Never an issue, this is one piece that you buy once and never look back. Never have to worry about it hitting the garage on the way in/out or any other overhang. Pick one up, enjoy it and spend the money that you save on some more gear!!

boodaroo   All Mountain Rider [Jun 20, 2013]
    Strength:

Cheap
    holds all styles/sizes of bikes
    dependable

basic/ not real cool to talk about

Ive had this rack for almost five years now. It has stayed on the back of either my truck 2" or my wife's car 11/4" most of that time. While the rubber is a lil rough from the elements and it is slightly bent from hitting a tree while hunting, we still pile several thousand dollar bikes on it weekly. I always use a locking cable as a backup as I have had a few times a bike work lose from the clamp. We never use the wheel straps and on my truck I went to harbor freight and got a metal hitch adapter (11/4" to2") for $15 In my riding group we have four of these and evryone seems to love them. Would definetly buy another.

You can buy the lock pin for the hitch if needed. I did not and simply run a bike lock cable through the safety chain loop on the hitch.

Similar Products Used: Hollywood, Thule
    Josh   [Apr 09, 2013]
    Strength:

Cheap, light, small.

The way that you have to tighten down all the parts. The bolts are insanely weak and the way that they are designed (with a square inset head) you cant get a grade 8 bolt that wont strip. They last maybe 5-6 uses before they strip and the bike WILL come loose. I keep a bag of spare bolts in my glovebox just for the occasion of when it will happen.

Also, the way the rack secures the arms with just a simple pin makes it really prone to rocking back and forth. The first drive will scare the poop out of you.

Overall, I've had it almost two years. Its a decent rack for the price and if you really need one at an insanely cheap price this is it.

GT0neX   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2012]
    Strength:

Great value for your money. Don't understand the need to purchase a more expensive rack only because of the name or because it looks better. For five years it has done everything I need it to do and never once failed me.

Doesn't look fancy.

Best bang for your buck. Doesn't look pretty, but I ride mountain bikes, not sissy road bikes.

Similar Products Used: none
    Roller   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2011]
    Strength:

- Quick and easy. I can load my bike, secure it, and be on the road in about a minute. Offloading is even faster, taking perhaps 10 seconds per bike.
    - The frame fits a 1¼" hitch receiver, and comes with an adapter sleeve (made of a hard rubber to eliminate any rattle) for 2" receivers. Bolted installation into the hitch receiver makes for a very solid attachment to the car.
    - Put the rack on the car (and taking it off) is very simple--about the same as putting a trailer hitch into the receiver.

- Rubber hitch sleeve has deteriorated, and I cannot find a source for replacement.

Highly recommend. I'm sure this rack will outlive me, but if I ever have need of a second one, I won't hesitate to get another. I just wish the price was a little bit lower.

Similar Products Used: Thule 971 XT (hitch mounted)
    various trunk-lid mounts
    Wayne Biker   Weekend Warrior [Jan 05, 2011]
    Strength:

- Quick and easy to install/remove unit (I put depth marks on adapter and bike rack)
    - Quick and easy to load bikes
    - Folds down in every direction for vehicle access. I have an Isuzu Rodeo with glass that goes up and a door that opens out. The vertical bar drops flat and I can get in my vehicle without removing the rack.
    - Durable enough to go mild 4x4ing in the East Grand Canyon/Indian Land area with bikes on back and not damage the vehicle or bikes.
    - Keeps bikes in rear view mirror, slip-streams behind vehicle.

- Rack doesn't lock to hitch. Has a cotter pin into the mounting bolt to keep it from backing out.
    - Nylon/velcro straps that hold bikes to the wheel stops will deteriorate in a year or so. I replaced with webbing.

Great, easy, flexible, inexpensive rack that lets you access the rear of any vehicle, no matter how it opens up.

After 3 years, I have had no issues with years highway travel or light 4x4 use, except the hard-plastic adapter from 1.25" to 2" receiver adapter is starting to wear from offroad shaking.

Black blends in. I put bright yellow reflective tape on it to make it more visible.

Appears to be a Performance, Inc brand.
    Model: 40-3559 Xport Flatbed 2-bike
    Owners manual at:

Similar Products Used: Many racks from bike club friends, rear-vehicle trunk or tailgate mounts.
    SingleTrackDude   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2010]
    Strength:

None unless you want to lose your bike on the freeway

Built poorly. Bike is unstable on rack. Poor welds. Hardware is junk. Prone to metal fatigue.

Do not buy this rack trying to save money. You will pay i the long run. The clamp loosened and my Intense Tracer bounced off on the freeway. BEWARE OF A CRAPPY RACK!!!

Similar Products Used: Saris, Thule, Yakima
    CCRiderKY   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2010]
    Strength:

Inexpensive for a hitch mount rack, lightweight, easy to set up, no wobbles if you use the included threaded hitch pin

None that I have noticed. Take care of your rack and it will take care of you.

After owning several Hollywood Rack products, I simply needed an inexpensive rack to replace a poor quality Price Point experiment. I needed something that could go between 1 1/4" and 2" mounts. Looked at the Performance product, and realized it was the same item as other known name brands (probably all manufactured in the same off shore plant).

Have used the rack on various cars and bikes, from my wife's touring bike to my kids 20" wheel bike. No problem with any.

I would buy the 4-bike version if I needed to go up to that size (I currently have the 2 bike version).

I would recommend this hitch.

Similar Products Used: Various Hollwood Racks (my favorite manufacturer), Price Point hitch rack (I think it was a Sette brand......bad experience!)
    Huts   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2010]
    Strength:

Easy to use, lightweight but strong, easily adjustable, works for all our bike regardless of size.

Can't lock to hitch

I would strongly recommend this product. We have it on our Subaru Forester. No wind resistance, nothing extends beyond the sides of the car, can keep an eye on the bikes through the rear view mirror. We drive over some pretty poor roads, including some bad rail crossings and the bikes stay solid. On other racks where the bikes hang they would swing wildly. Other racks have problems with top tubes that slope. None of that is a problem with this rack. The only way to break this rack would be to use it as a ladder. Exceptional bang for the buck.