North Shore Racks NSR 4 Bike Rack

North Shore Racks NSR 4 Bike Rack

Incredibly compact, this rack uses our patented technology to carry mountain bikes in a fantastically efficient way. When not in use the rack folds up and out of the way. Adjustable in height, layback and setback it will fit virtually any vehicle, right out of the box. Maximum weight is 200lbs and for 2” receiver hitches only (anti-slope device included to eliminate hitch play).

[Mar 29, 2018]
Funfam

Strength:

We're a family of 4 with a mix of bikes from 24" to 29" with some being high end carbon bikes. I bought this last summer for a road trip, what can I say, I love this thing! We've never had an easier rack to use. All of our bikes pop up there without fuss and in and order. With our previous rack I had to remember which order to put the bikes. It's been put away for the winter but I started using it again a few weeks ago to ride with some of the dads from school. Two others from my crew now have them. I would definitely buy this again.

They're often sold out.

Purchased:
New
[Apr 29, 2017]
Mtpowder
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Simple design and works with some bikes very well

My kids giant xtc 20" and 24" mtbs dont fit properly due to the fork design. Our trek fuel ex has interference at the head tube and rubs on the carbon frame. It also pinches and is very difficult for my wife who is short to remove. Our two larger bikes must be strapped so that there is not interference at the rear axle and chain stay area. Not a problem on paved roads but have had issues on rough ones.

For some bikes and riders this rack is perfect. Unfortunately we didnt try it before we bought and it doesnt work for our crew. It also has no dealer locations to see if your bike fits well. I wish northshore would create a variety of fork hooks that could be swapped to match up with varying bike designs.

Yakima tilt up

[Nov 04, 2016]
Adam
Downhiller

Strength:

Fastest rack to load and unload
Vertical design is great for spatial awareness behind your car
Wheel and bike size doesn't matter
Bomb proof durability (survived an unsavory car crash off a logging road in my case)

It does one thing and one thing really well, carrying mountain bikes, so no road bikes.
My girlfriend needs adult supervision loading the rack on my 4runner (which is raised) as she is vertically challenged at 5'2

This is the rack that sets the bar among our shuttle crew. At the end of a ride loading is a snap, which lets us get the folding chairs and the cooler out that much faster. Friends of ours with tray style racks (they know who they are) just punish themselves trying to load their rack, especially with DH rigs and their longer wheel base; its like it takes a neurosurgeon to figure out how to load it. Not to mention how much their tray rack bounces on the fire roads we often find ourselves on. I wasn't always a NS Rack user, but one by one our crew is getting converted.

Yakima Fullback 2

[Nov 02, 2016]
John D.
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Amazingly quick and easy to load. It's very well build and has lasted 6+ years with only minor scratches and wear and tear. No cheap plastic parts. It does not cover the brake lights like all of the others racks I've seen. Kids bikes fit, making them feel like they're real mountain bikers. Easy access to the back of my van with bikes on.

Apparently road bikes don't fit, but we've never tried. Everyone seems to mountain bike around here.

I love this rack. We essentially live in a rain forest being in North Vancouver and I've never taken it off. It seems to be the most popular rack at the trailheads and schools around here. I was on a ride last night in the pouring rain with a group of about 10, we had two vehicles, one with the 4-biker and the other with the 6-bike version, at the end we were loaded up and on our way in no time. No fiddling and no fuss!

Tray type racks. They all work in the same way and anything more than the 2-bike versions are way too big to live with day to day.

[Oct 23, 2016]
T White
Downhiller

Strength:

Relatively easy and fast to load - but only if your bike fits.
Space efficient carrying position with good balance of ground and overhead clearance.
Except for the deficiencies noted below, the build quality is good.

Very poor rust resistance. After one winter season (we ride year round here in Vancouver, where the rack is made) the amount of salt damage was extreme.
Works poorly with oversized headtubes. They get stuck in the prongs and take WAY too much force to unload (not all the time, and some bikes work better than others).
Oversized headtubes with dual crown forks barely fit - the one time we carried a couple of these we had to use accessory straps to hold them in. If you have a modern downhill bike do not buy without trying it first.
Loading is first in, last out.

Posting this here only because search results on Google point here, although this thread has been dormant for a while.

We bought two racks in 2015 and installed them on two different cars: one was the NSR 4-bike and the other a cheap SportRack out of China. While the two were used under the same conditions in the Sea to Sky corridor all winter, the SportRack continues to look new while the NSR looks like it is at least 5 or 6 years old. For a year-old rack, the NSR looks like a piece of cr@p. It has rust everywhere, from the powder coat failing in areas that were never hit or abraded to most of the hardware stained deep brown.

If you already own one, consider removing it for the winter if you live in an area with salted roads and don't use it regularly.

Beyond that, we very aware of how poorly the design works with certain headtube/fork combos, particularly modern DH bikes.

Sportrack

[May 23, 2013]
Cascade
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Easy to load all different styles of frames on this rack . The previous reviewer must work for the competition . Anyone who is capable of putting gas in their car can quickly & easily load their bikes on this rack . If the rope goes , it easily & cheaply replaced . If you can tie your own shoes , you can secure the tires to the rack .

Can't use it for road bikes .

If you are tired of fighting to cram various frame types onto a traditional style rack , give North Shore Racks a look . But if you can't pour your own gas , or tie your own shoes , you are out of luck .

[Jan 07, 2013]
Wolf

Strength:

Seriously this is almost like a joke. The other reviewers must work for the manufactures or are the manufacturers of this product. If it has ANY strengths it is that its light weight.

Everything. It takes a HUGH amount of time to load. The back tires are held on with only rope. Better hope you know your knots. Overtime rope will frey and the sun will weaken the rope.

If this was a less expensive option it might be worth consideration, in other words put it on the market for maybe $140 and it might be worth looking at. There are much better options out there for much less money.

[Feb 27, 2012]
dasnakenyc
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Easily carry four bikes.

I am selling my rack because I sold my truck. 400 + shipping. send me a message.

[Feb 26, 2012]
gblack

Strength:

Very Sturdy, well built
VERY quick load and unload. Easily load each bike in under 10 seconds
4 years down and not showing any wear (even on the heavy-duty foam used to cushion the fork crowns)
Easily folds up for tailgate access (bikes on or off)
Folds out of the way (in half) when not in use to allow for unobstructed rear view
easily handles 4 freeride bikes on logging roads
looks sick
comes with great anti-shake mechanism that eliminates hitch wobble
NO BIKE-TO-BIKE CONTACT!
allows for full visibility from behind of tail lights/turn signals on vehicle, even on my ever-so-narrow 97 4runner

Weight of the rack. At 50lbs it's a little awkward to carry, but if you're using it it's on the car all the time anyways! Either way, it's about the same weight as the competition.
no securing mechanism for front wheel (spins freely). I just bought some clips and strapping from Fabricana and rigged some clips for under $10. A bungy works just as well

Amazing rack. I have recommended it to everyone I know. Traveling around B.C and Utah, I am always getting questions about it (a great conversation starter!) and I have nothing but good things to say. I have done a bunch of rough roads with this rack and I must say how well it keeps the bikes apart. Never have I had an incidence where the bikes scratch each other during transport (a problem all too common with my old racks).
and at around $500 for 4 bikes, it really is the best value out there.

Yakima King Cobra
Maxxrax hitch mount rack

[Sep 22, 2011]
Balfaguy

Strength:

Fits with my pickup no problem. I can flip the tailgate down w/o having to adjust anything.
Super fast bike loading (like super)

Parallel parking is harder cause the bikes stick off the back (same with any hitch mount
No locking feature, but after getting the rack, I prefer to use my own system anyway.

In looking for a hitch mounted rack for my truck. I had some requirements.
1) Access to truck bed with zero effort
2) Ability to fully open tailgate with bikes installed with minimal effort (read: I don't mind flipping the rack down if bikes are on there)
3) Ability to put bikes on bike rack in less than 15 seconds. Why do I want it to take longer?
4) Burly
5) Cost effective

I put my name on the waiting list for this badboy. Got an email that they were ready and placed my order. Took about a week for them to ship it, but it arrived the day after it was sent (Seattle from Vancouver).
First impressions: The packaging was good and nothing was damaged during the trip - good. Powder coat looked very thick and durable. Rack feels very quality with not a bit of plastic on it (other than one cover to close the end of a tube). Some assembly required but it was 10 bolts I think. Took me <30 minutes. Need grease for the installation (FYI)

With the rack installed, but no bike, I can fully open the canopy glass and tailgate w/o having to flip a lever or toggle any buttons or pull any pins or wiggle any thing. Nothing. Just open it all like normal. With bike installed, the canopy glass won't fully open, but I can open it enough to open the tailgate. The rack also flips backwards very far by pulling one pin. Easy. I was not able to find another rack that worked with my pickup (GMC Sierra) like I wanted.

Bike literally loads in less than 15 seconds. Just pick it up by the one fork leg and the downtube, lift into place, pull rope around rim and put the pre-tied knot into its place. done. So fast. There is no lock with this rack, but I installed a cable using one of the bolts as an anchor and lock it that way. A lock would be cool, but I would almost rather use my own system as I see fit.

Price: Seems expensive up front, but the price was for a 4 bike rack. Any of the other ones are just as much, if not more. And not nearly as quality (from what I have seen).

Get this rack. It is dialed.
Doesn't work with road bikes and some other bikes(check their site for applications.)

n/a