Kuat Trio Bike Rack

Trio

Finally, the Kuat Trio Roof Carrier is a fork mount roof rack all cyclists can agree on. Featuring the 3 Way fork mount system, the TRIO can handle any bike you own. Top that off with a slim line design, security system, and rugged good looks and you have

Lee J   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2016]
Strength:

Easy to install, simple to use, looks good, low wind noise

9mm skewer not intuitive to use, tool needed to switch fork mount sizes

I've got a new 2016 Kuat Trio, and I'm happy with it. The front secures with a unique 5 sized "hex" key, so unless you have that specific tool, you won't be able to remove it. You now have to use a regular hex key to switch the fork mount from 9mm to 15mm to 20mm thru axles. Apparently this is more stable than the previous design, but it does take more time to switch than before. Not a big deal. I do like the cable lock coming out of the rear of the rack to secure both the frame and rear wheel. It's a thicker cable than included with the Yakima carrier I have, so it should be harder to cut thru. I've been using it for several months, and haven't had any problems. I'd certainly recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Thule Thru-ride (marrs axle), Yakima front loader
Duke   Racer [Jun 12, 2014]
Strength:

Looks; Fits cars' factory crossbars; 1 rack for 3 bike axle sizes (Trio).

Does not fit a Subaru Outback (current generation).

Kuat designed a bike carrier intended for cars with factory cross bars, and forgot to measure how long they could make a rack for a Subaru Outback. When installed properly, the Kuat Trio will damage an Outback's rear hatch door when opened as it ia about 2" too long...The SUBARU OUTBACK. If random cyclists were asked to name a car that comes standard with factory cross bars, yet low enough that you'd prefer a roof rack instead of a hitch rack, I would bet the Outback would be on everyone's short list. Kuat designed a cool looking nicely featured rack, that will damage an Outback if you use it. ALMOST funny minus the $200 on the rack and damage to my car.

Similar Products Used: Thule Big Mouth (Excellent); Yakima Forklift (good)
Jake   [May 20, 2014]
Strength:

It looks cool. The rear strap is super easy to reverse. Once everything is installed, it feels pretty solid.

Misleading marketing. It's easy to think you're buying a rack with a single skewer that will accept any fork. The truth is, the stock skewer is a "duo" that works with 9mm and 15mm forks. Kuat includes a black skewer for 20mm forks. You have to swap the skewer for use with 20mm. It's not super difficult to swap the skewers, but there is always the risk of lost skewers, and you need a hex wrench to get the job done.

I had been drooling over the Kuat hitch racks because they look so clean and burly. All of that anodized stuff looks pretty cool.

I own a bunch of different road/mountain bikes and I don't have a hitch, so I thought this would be a great solution. For simplicity, I wish I had gone with another type of rack (especially for the price). We have used Thule sidearms for 5 years with no failures or thefts.

This thing could be stolen in less than one minute if you didn't use the cable to lock it to your roof rack. There are only two wing nuts on the back, four hex nuts on the front that hold it down. I suppose if you were worried about that happening you could cable lock it to your roof rack.