K&S BikeTransPorter Bike Rack

BikeTransPorter

Unique Bracket: Fully adjustable, swiveling bracket with 9mm skewer offers fast, easy mounting.

Multi Rail System: Extruded aluminum rails allow positioning of bikes in unlimited locations to acheive maximum cargo space usage.

Storage rack: When not carrying your bikes in your vehicle it can double as a garage storage rack.

George P   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2011]
Strength:

Versatile, secure inside vehicle bike carrier. I have used it in my 2000 Honda Odyssey since new and traveled all over N America numerous times, bikes always at the ready inside the vehicle and clean.

Great product!

The company seems no longer in business, and after 11 years I need the fittings for my new vehicle. Anyone know if parts are available? Why does no one else make a similar system?

Alex   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2002]
Strength:

It's versatile. To elaborate, it adjusts with ease requiring minimal exertion.

This product is too pricey.

I would recommend Rhode Gear's product over the bike transporter because of its price. The Rhode Gear product does not fail in comparisson to K&S' product in anyway. It is mucher more sturdy than the Bike Transporter and worth every penny.

Similar Products Used: Rhode Gear produces a product that is parallel to this one. It's price is ~$100 less. I purchased this product through www.performancebike.com for $90 excluding S&H.
Susan   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2002]
Strength:

Love the fact that my bike is tucked away inside the car, away from theives and without the possibility of falling off the rack on into oncoming highway traffic. Very easy to mount bikes.

None that i've found!

Great rack - not one problem. easy to install and use. arrived quickly from the manufacturers. worth every penny!

Similar Products Used: None
Dave Rogers   weekend warrior [Sep 24, 1998]

I gotta add my two cents here. I studied all the alternatives before buying the TransPORTER-and this is a GREAT rack. It assembles quickly (even for a wrench-challenged person like me), fits into my 97 4-Runner like a glove, and securely holds 3 bikes in less space than you imagine (leaving room for luggage and buddies). Bikes go in and out of the truck in seconds and hardly shake over the roughest roads--no vibration noise--and the rack stays securely in place. And I really like being able to leave the bikes in the car without worry when stopping to eat or even overnight at a hotel. (With tinted rear windows, the bikes are hardly visible.) Plus, Ken was a real pleasure to talk to on the phone when I ordered. A great product with great people behind it--business at its best. If you've got an SUV or a pickup, give Ken a call! Thumbs up all the way!

Steve   Cross Country Rider [Sep 05, 2000]
Strength:

Simple to assemble. Lightweight, but sturdy. Flexible in terms of adapting to your needs. Good product support by K&S Products.

Can not attach a front fork that has a low-rider pannier touring rack attached to it.

This is one of those products that make you wonder why you didn't think of it yourself. Very simple design, but very versatile. I use mine inside of a 2000 Honda Odyssey. I installed the tie-down hooks into the floor of my van.

I do not keep the rack in my van because it is so easy to install it when I need to use it. Now it is merely a matter of laying the rack in the back of my van, tightening the straps on the ends of the rack, and installing the bikes.
My previous rack experience is with the roof mounted version from Yakima. While the Yakima roof mount is a great product, it takes much less time and effort to use the Biketransporter. When loading the bikes on the roof mounted rack in cold weather, my fingers would invariably become extremely cold. It would always be a race to get the bikes mounted, and the security cable locked, before my fingers would become numb.

I have used it to carry up to four bikes (two mountain bikes and two road bikes) at the same time, and I could very easily get at least five bikes inside. I use the rack to carry my road bike to work, where I can ride at lunch. I also use it for those times where my wife and I need to drive to the start of a ride. I am a clean bike freak, and it always irritated me that the bikes would get trashed if you carried them on top of the car and it began to rain. Now when I carry them inside my van, I do not have to worry about trashing the bike when it begins to rain.

An obvious advantage to using the inside rack is that you don't have to worry about vandalism. A less obvious advantage is that when you load your bikes onto your roof mounted rack, your neighbors always know when you are going away. Now, by carrying the bikes inside the van, I can load the van inside the garage out of everyone's view. Thus, when we leave for vacation, or for the day, no one has any idea that we are taking our bikes and may be gone for an extended period of time.

If you have the room inside your vehicle, and you want flexibility in positioning your bikes, this is the way to go. My rating is 4.00 Flamin' Chilis, and not 5.00, because I think the price is a bit high.

Similar Products Used: Yakima roof mounted racks.
James O'Donnell   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2000]
Strength:

Solid. Good design. Flexible. Great instuctions that make sense and are easy to follow. Only tool required is included, a hex wrench which comes with hook and loop fastener so you will not lose it. Lightweight. Has the ability to expand the nubmer of bikes carried. Sized to fit the vehicle you specify. More than enough screws and nuts to assemble.

No real weakness noted. Instructions could include an explanation that the straps included with the transporter are merely to provide tie-down, and nothing exotic.

Excellent product. may seem pricy, but you will never need to by another one; it will not wear out. This is an excellent product for those with SUV's and vans. Being able to carry your bike inside provides security and protection from inclemnent weather.

Similar Products Used: Made one myself from red oak and Performance XPort fork mounts. No flexibility in homemade version.
Martin   Racer [May 11, 2000]
Strength:

Installs quickly and easily. Keeps your bike safe from weather, debris and theft.

If you change vehicles, you have to reengineer

I originally bought the bike porter for my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It worked wonderfully, I could load three bike all of the gear a case of beer and three people. Well I now have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and good old Chrysler changed the roofline. They redesigned the body and put the spare tire under the rear deck thus lowering the headroom in the cargo area. I now have to remove or lower my seat in order to place my bike on the rack. This is a minor inconvenience but K&S had nothing to do with it.
My other problem was that the rack was to short because the spare tire has been removed. However, the great customer service reps had a simple work around. They sent me two posts to mount on the end of the rack so I could center the rack on the straps. Free of charge of course. If you have a jeep and you don’t feel like climbing on the roof to take your bike along, if you’re short, I’m 5’8”, or if you like the drive through window at Burger King this is the product for you.

Similar Products Used: Roof rack
David   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2000]
Strength:

Light, fairly easy to install or remove. Keeps bikes inside vehicle.

Marginal fit. Annoying straps.

The first thing I did was call K&S and ask them if their unti would fit my RX 300 Lexus. They responded, yes, we have had other customers with the same truck. Well, based on THIS web site, I pulled the trigger. First, the unit came, finally, incomplete. It was missing all the hardware and the tie-down straps. I was doing a trip that weekend, but it didn't arrive on time. No sweat, these things happen.
So I get the thing together and fit it in my truck. Well it barely fits and my tie down hooks are too wide at the back! I'm not happy but it looks like it will do (barely) Then I hoist up a bike -- and it doesn't fit. I should have measured myself, but they assured me it would work fine. Not impressed. I guess I can use it with my pick-up -- its not worth it for me to send the thing back from Canada. My advice is buyer beware!

Similar Products Used: Saris Bones.
Dave   Weekend Warrior [Sep 08, 1999]
Strength:

Bikes are inside, safe, clean and dry.

A little pricey.

I've taken two road trips with three bikes attached (750 miles so far) and everything has stayed securely in place. I'm using a Ford E350 1 ton van, which isn't a cushy ride. The van has two large, raised platform brackets for the rear seat and with the seat out, the carrier rests on these and I hold it down with C-clamps. It sure beats bungee cords and blankets for padding.

Scott   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 07, 1999]
Strength:

Product is extremely easy to install and remove from vehicle. Keeps bikes rock solid in rear of vehicle.

Product is a little overpriced for what it is. Directions are a little vague about the actual installation into vehicle.

I was extremely skeptical about this product when I first saw it. But now, I have absolutely no problems with this rack. Even on the worst terrain, absoultely no movement from the bikes. Rack is mounted in a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I did need to call customer support to find how to install rack in the back due to the spare tire. Customer support is great, but installation instructions can use a little tweaking.