Hollywood Team Rider Bike Rack

Hoolywoodracks Hollywood Team Rider

jlitvak   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2008]
Strength:

This bike rack has held up very well over time. No problems other than the rubber strap holding down the tires wearing out. I replaced them with nylon straps which adjust and hold tighter. Several years after I bought the team rider which held two bikes, I bought the extender to hold another two bikes, Very good to travel with on long trips. This rack holds the bikes very steady and all other components are well made and have needed no replacement. I've had this system for 8 or 9 years now.

The only downside is the weight. With the extender on, the rack is cumbersome to put on and take off. If you have a bad back, this is a rack to stay away from. Otherwise, you probably can't find a sturdier product.

Especially good for long distance transport. Ease of use moderate with two bikes, awkward with four (using the extender). If you don't mind the weight, it is the only bike rack you'll ever need.

Larry   Weekend Warrior [Dec 01, 2003]
Strength:

Ease of Use, my girlfriend loads the bikes frequently.
bikw stays put togther, you unclamp the bikes and ride.

Heavy to mount to car, my Sebring sits low to the ground as is.

The rack is a little pricy, but is works great.
I travel up and down the east coast and never worry about the bikes on the back of the car at 70mph.

I'm 45 and just ride for fun, it would be nice if it were lighter. If you have a bad back, think again. Getting the rack on the car is the only downside.

I did loose one of the pins that secure the upright posts.
Customer Service had me on in 3 days from Califonia. good service.

Similar Products Used: Department store strap rack on trunk
eelpie   Cross Country Rider [Feb 05, 2002]
Strength:

Follow-up to my previous review below.

Emailed Hollywood and described the situation with the strap wear. Within 24 hours, Rick from Hollywood emailed me back and said that the new, improved straps are on the way along with instructions....free!

That's what truly sets a great company apart from the losers...excellent customer service, a great product, and a strong commitment to back up that product. Thanks again to Rick @ Hollywood!

Similar Products Used: see below
eelpie   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2002]
Strength:

STRONG, unbreakable, very secure, made in the US, bikes don't touch, can be loaded up very quickly, very adjustable, tilt-down feature allows hatch access, everlasting, works on every type of frame, doesn't wobble, doesn't block tail lights, won't let you forget your bikes are there as you enter the garage (and even if you do, no problem)

HEAVY (but that's why it's STRONG), prone to surface rust, rubber wheel straps have short lives, a bit pricey but worth it

Overall, a bombproof rack that survived a slight rear-end collision (rack punched a hole in the perps hood without developing so much as a millimeter of play). You will feel very secure about your bikes staying on this thing. Doesn't wobble at all, even over rough terrain and speedbumps.

I put a small padlock through the hole in the hitch pin to lock it to my truck; that and some Kryptonite cables from the hitch itself through the bike frames and to the rack makes for a very theft resistant set-up: bikes are locke to the rack, rack in locked to the hitch, no fuss, no muss. You can load a single bike on it in about 30 seconds or less (not counting locking it up).

The rack will develop cosmetic rust over time if you don't remove and stow it after use (which, given its weight, is not a realistic option), but you can always touch it up with some spraypaint.

My only (slight) gripe is that the rubber wheel straps are starting to crack and will soon break. I've emailed HW for some replacement straps as an earlier poster did and will comment on HW's customer service as the situation progresses.

Real bottom line: if you want security, durability, longevity, and functionality, buy it!

Similar Products Used: Yakima Roc 3
El Mongo   [Nov 09, 2001]
Strength:

Fairly quick and easy to load. Customer support.

Overall design. First of all the thing is rusting. It is heavy and bulky. The locking mechanisms on the pins that stabilize the "masts" are breaking. The rubber straps are breaking.

I miss my Performance Export. When I bought my FSR, I had to get a rack that would accomodate the frame. I wish now that I had gone with a less expensive and simpler fork mount model. I spent alot of money on the bulky, heavy, rusting Hollywood rack to avoid having to remove the front wheel. What a mistake.

Similar Products Used: Performace Export
Rob (The Notorious R.O.B.)   Cross Country Rider [Nov 30, 2001]
Strength:

Dynamic design, totally adjustable; able to carry all sorts and shapes and sizes of bikes. No front wheel removal. (Lefty!) Bikes are quick in, quick out. Oh, and you can also jack up the seatpost clamp and use it as an emergency repair stand at the trailhead!

It's EXPENSIVE...I don't like the cheesy little velcro strap that is a "fail safe" for the seatpost clamp. I'll have to think of something cooler; but it DOES work. The rack is heavy, but I leave it folded up on the back of my car all the time.

I bought this to alleviate the whole Lefty-fork adapter, takin' the freekin' wheel off every time thing. Plain and simple, it works, and I am VERY confident with 2 expensive bikes on it back there that cost more than the Hyundai they're attached to. So I give it 4 flamin' sphincter twinkies for the price, and a solid 5 for overall-----Buy it! It's Great!-------Rob

Similar Products Used: I have a museum of crappy racks in my shed. I've tried 'em all!
Neil   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2001]
Strength:

see below

see below

I sent THIS IS A FOLLOWUP TO MY LAST REVIEW:

I e-mailed Hollywood with my complaint, didn't hear back via e-mail but 3 days later (we're talking 72 hours) I had a package delivered to my door with 8 brand new straps. They are nylon webbing with heavy duty quick release snaps and a metal loop that can be crimped to the wheel trays. A little clumsy to work with at first but strong. There is no doubt that the bike is not going to move, and it's quick to get off so you are on the trail faster. Obviously Hollywood had a problem part and is doing the right thing. Replacing it quickly and with a better design. Kudo's to their customer service. Definitely five chili's.

Similar Products Used: see below
Neil   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2001]
Strength:

Accomodates all sizes and shapes of bicycles, can keep the front wheel on, SOLID construction, fairly simple to use once it is set up properly. Hitch tightening mechanism is excellent, very little sway so I feel the bikes are safe on it. Easy to get the bikes on and off. The tilt works very well.

Rubber straps are fairly useless, of 8 (I have the 2 bike plus the extention)one has broken each time I've used the rack. Website said the rack comes with a hitch lock, mine didn't. Two LBS's I've spoken to said Hollywood is aware of the straps situation and if I make a request they will send better straps. I've e-mailed Hollywood to ask, I'll post a followup to comfirm that they did, and rate their customer service. With the 2 bike add on it is VERY heavy and cumbersome. Clamps for the seatpost are a pain to set up.

The rack works as advertised. I have a 2001 Yukon Denali and the 2" hitch rack fits perfectly with ample clearance for tilting in any direction. Bikes fit on with not a whole lot of effort once it's set up properly. It is solid, read HEAVY and probably over built but that's why I feel that my bikes aren't in danger when I'm on bumpy twisting canyon roads or the freeway and one of the reasons I bought it. Were it not for the straps I would give it a five rating but with straps breaking so quickly I down grade it to a 4. Price is high at a MSRP of close to $500.00 for the four bikes ($299 for the 2 bike basic and $199 for the 2 bike add-on)but it's not too much higher than the competition, and doesn't need adapters like their others so I rate it's price/value as a 5, at least as good as any other rack.

Similar Products Used: Thule, Yakima.
Whit   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 02, 2000]
Strength:

easy to load all types of bikes, I have a hard tail and a full susp. and it easily adjusts to both. Large and small frames are easily accepted. Very simple to attach to the car. It is a heavy rack to take on and off but once on it is the easiest and most secure I have seen.

I would recommend this over any other trailer hitch mount rack currently available.

Similar Products Used: Yakima
Nate Estep   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2000]
Strength:

Solid Construction
Leave Wheel On During Transport
Very Easy On/Off for Bikes
Works With FS & Y Frames

Extensive Fit Problems (w/my Rack/Car)
Questionable Straps & Clamps
Heavy

First things first, the fit problem: I mounted this to a Subaru Legacy with an aftermarket hitch from Draw Tite. The receiver is recessed a few inches in relation to the edge of the bumper. When I tried to rotate the rack into the upright (stowed) position, a piece of the rack would interfere with the bumper. This piece is one of the supports that holds the seatpost clamps in the vertical position.

I emailed and phoned Hollywood. It took them almost two weeks to figure out that they could get me an longer tongue, to extend the rack away from the bumper. But it would cost me, plus it wouldn't have the anti-sway wedge as the stock tongue does.

My solution was to go to a welding shop and modify the offending piece, which ended up costing me $45. I'm happy with the end result, and it was cheaper than the new part from Hollywood.

Synopsis: check to make sure that your hitch is no more than 2" recessed from the outside edge of your bumper.

A nice feature is the ability to lower the rack about 30 degrees from vertical to gain access to a liftgate. The process is easy with one bike mounted, a little clumsey with two. But the mounted bikes can be used for leverage, so it is not an impossible task for one person to take on.

Seatpost clamp mechanisim is clumsy, takes some getting used to, is prone to interference from the seatpost clamp, rear chainstay, or cantilever cables, and any tail lights or reflectors clamped to the post. This is not a recurring issue once you've used it a few times.

Wheel straps are velcro (or rubber on some?), and are not confidence inspiring. SOLUTION: get a set of Yakima Rattlers for $22/pr. These are plastic ratcheting straps, similar to straps on ski boots, and they work well on this rack. They require very slight modification to install, namely shaving off a small molded piece of plastic about the size of a match head, which is easily done with an Exacto knife. These will hold your wheels much more securely, especially if you bounce around any dirt roads or do a bunch of highway driving.

Deduct one chili for Hollywood charging me for extension, deduct one chili for crummy clamps and straps. I would recommend the buyer of this rack also look at the SportWorks version, which offers faster setup and removal at a lighter weight. Overall, a very good rack which works well, and should last a long time.