Graber Bones Trunk Rack Bike Rack

Bones Trunk Rack

2 and 3 bike capacity

Sourav   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2001]
Strength:

Super strong, easy to mount, stable, anti-sway rings

The bars that hold your bikes sway just a tad in heavy wind, price

This bike rack is the best. I just got back from a trip from madison, WI to Tucson, AZ and i was pretty confident in it, i just checked it when filling on gas. The unit itself does not move at all on the car and was eazy to switch between two cars.
Only the bars that hold your bikes sway a tad in high wind. Even when "Screwed in" the bars can be jerked a bit, perhaps they can fix that later on..
All you have to do is pull the straps super tight (turn the top straps 1 turn to eliminate wind noise) and forget it.
Dont put your down tube too close to the arm or the plastic WILL sctrach the bike tube. Make sure you use bungees also.

Similar Products Used: none
AjCoUhRnA   Racer [Sep 23, 2000]
Strength:

>No Paint to chip/flake
>Composit/Aluminum Materials
>large contact feet
>Sturdy straps and buckles
>Extremely versiatle

>May have to buy extra parts for your application (i.e hatch hugger straps)
>May leave small contact mars on frame
>Little stickers to mark positions suck, come off

Ok,fist thing. You have to read the instructons for this thing. It is easy to get the plastic straps in the latches the incorrect way. Use some sence, and take your time to get things set up right to avoid damage to anything. The only real weakness I found is the rack itself has no way to secure the front wheel/handlebars. I use some velcro pump straps to secure it. Also if the "cradle" area sandwiches your bare brake cable between the frame and "cradle" Id put a washcloth betwen the cable and frame to prevent bike paint damage. Also Use a black sharpie to mark the settings on the aluminum cylnder, it dosent wash off or fade. Excellent product design! folds up niceley to store in trunk and small enough not to take up the entire space. I have a Civic hatchback, and it fits perfectly on the back of the car and inside of the trunk.
Highly recommended, not a single problem so far.
Use some common sence, read the instructons and your bike will not budge!

Similar Products Used: >My Hatchback
>Pick up truck fork mount

Joe   Racer [May 31, 2000]
Strength:

+Bikes never fell off
+Great construction
+Easy to put on/off

-Pricey

Basically the best trunk rack available! Other racks might be $40-$60 but guess what? They are simply metal poles that you're supposed to trust your $1000+ beauty on at 65mph? I don't think so. And the good straps to put on so your bike doesn't fall off are at least $20 PER bike. So buy a rack for $60, add 3 strap things (rhode gear calls them "lock blocks" or something) and you get $120! The same price as the 3 bike Saris. This one is supremely adjustable and made very well and won't rust. Also, in a pinch, you can strap your bike down to the strap farthest-out from the car, and adjust the derailleurs and stuff easily. That's all for now! 5 stars overall&value.

Similar Products Used: Bottom-of-the-line rhode gear (horrible)
David P   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 19, 1999]
Strength:

The only product that fits nicely on my car without
scratching my paint and it is also the only product that is a no-brainer to use, expecially the straps.

The plastic screw. I broke one of the 2 just by trying to tighten it according to the manual. Just 1 turn and it snapped!

The bottom line is, this rack always gets a lot of attention whenever I bring it out to bike event rides. They say, LOOK it's a Darth Vader rack! I can't get over people commenting how cool my bike rack looks and how well it was designed. I agree! The reason I got this bike was not because it looks cool, but because I got it only for $80 canadian on a out of business sale. It didn't come with a box and it was slightly used, probably a demo unit I guess. Otherwise, I used it many many times over the course of 2 years ownership and have blasted along the highway at up to 120 km/h with 3 bikes without loosing a single one! It is very stable and it doesn't sway back and forth at all as the other reviewers commented. The only beef I have with this rack is that, the straps are harder to unlock, though I've developed a technique that unlocks the straps easily now. If it wasn't the plastic screw that broke off too easily without much effort, I would give it 5 flaming chillies.

Similar Products Used: None. This is my 1st rack.
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Jul 20, 1999]
Strength:

This rack LOOKS like it would last a long time (I had it for only one week). Its adjustability is a big strength.

It isn't made for my truck! (1992 4Runner)

Even though my truck wasn't listed in the Saris Fit Guide, I tried my luck with this rack. It didn't work (shucks) so I returned it a week after buying it. I thought about fixing the rack so that it did fit my truck, but I've decided to just buy a hitch-mount rack (after I buy a hitch, that is).The cool thing about this rack is that you can adjust the rack's legs to easily fit different cars. I was able to mount the rack 4 different ways on my truck, none of which worked out. If it had fit correctly on my truck, I would have undoubtedly kept this rack.

TC   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 1999]
Strength:

adjustability, rigid, inexpensive

it's a trunk rack

Look, trunk racks are going to be a compromise whatever you do--but this one really works quite well. It is not for the mechanically challenged, but when you are patient enough to get it set for your vehicle, you don't have to futz with it much after that. Its adjustability is its strong point, not its weak one. There are some small things you can do to make life easier. Use some bike innertube rubber bands at the ends of your straps to keep order when you get everything adjusted to your liking. Tie wrap the bundle of straps where they go through the tubular housing--this will keep serious tangles away. Get some quality bungee cords or straps to snug the handlebars, wheels, crank, etc. to keep the bike from flopping. On odd shaped bikes, get one of the stem to seatpost bars to simplify carrying(worth the $20-$30).
If this rack does'nt fit your vehicle, you got one bizzaro ride, bro.
Remember, it's a trunk rack, but when you're riding with momma in her ride, it'll get the job done very well.

Similar Products Used: older Graber product, homemade receiver model(this is the bomb, made like I like it)
Chris   Downhiller [Apr 12, 2001]
Strength:

Sweet design, fits on my Accord with spoiler perfectly.
I have the 3 bike design, it easily holds my GT XCR 2000
and my girlfriends GT Aggressor 1.0 without any problems.
Was nervous about bike rack dumping my bikes on the highway
and then I drove around with the 'bones'. This thing is
solid, no more worries. Unless your driving behind a someone
without a 'bones' rack.

Nothing that I've noticed so far. The price is alittle high
but you get what you pay for. I was willing to trade cost
for peace of mind.

Sweet Rack .. I have to give it 5/5 chillis ..

Similar Products Used: Tried various racks and read reviews, nothing matched the
'bones'
Michael Haluska   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2000]
Strength:

This thing kicks ass. Super strong. Super efficient. Incredibly flexible design. Holds bikes extremely well.

Clips can mar trunk hood. Plastic bike clips are a weak point I think. No front wheel clip. Very easy to steal.

If you are in the market for a trunk rack look no further than this baby. You will not be sorry. Sure, you'd like to get the $400 roof rack, but you don't have $400. Buy this, save the extra $300 you would have plunked into the roof rack and pick up a decent set of XC wheels. You'll thank me.

Similar Products Used: the inside of my trunk
jason   Weekend Warrior [Sep 07, 2000]
Strength:

super stong and sturdy, easy on, easy off, $. Dosn't let those mutha's move a bit.

wasn't around when I first started riding

this is the best trunk mounted bike rack ever made, That's right - EVER! When I'm flying down the highway in my rocket-powered, monkey-navigated stud-mobile, I have the utmost confidence that my bike will never sway. The key is its thick plastic "arms" that rest on the bumpper. I havn't seen any other rack that is designed quite this way. This rack is SOLID!, even when I'm doing dounuts in my neighbors' yard, unlike my old one that spilled my friends' and mine bikes all over the highway doing 65! If your in the market for a good trunk rack, for god's sake please buy this one first. Don't be stupid like me.

Similar Products Used: I've had two other bike racks that could both suck the chrome off a trailer hitch - the brand names don't matter
joe   Weekend Warrior [Aug 13, 2000]
Strength:

no rusting, easy setup, and brakedown.
cheap, 99 bucks is a good price for the two bike rack!
varied vehicle fitting

my LTS frame sits kinda funky.
i can the straps wearing out quick.

it's easy, a few twists and turns, and clamping and your ready to load up your bike, or bikes. i had no slipping and everything stayed tight until unloaded. we drove over two hours on bumpy bad roads, and a lot of dirt. i checked it twice. ok.......... maybe three or four times then!! also, we had no chipping of paint or scratches.
my LTS frame fit kinda funky, but the seat tube strap fit really snug.
for what i'm going to use it for, it was well worth 99$.
for what it's worth, Calvin, the owner of my LBS, said Saris is really good about sending out new straps.

Similar Products Used: none