Delta Mega Rack Bike Rack

Delta Mega Rack Bike Rack

Ultra-strong and rigid to carry the heaviest of loads. Weighs only 438 grams.

[Mar 21, 2009]
Mutantclover

Strength:

RIGID/STURDY, light, cheap, reasonably attractive looking, works well with the cargo net.

The rubber grippers on the top pop out and get lost (like half of them on the first ride, on a bike path!) If you really need the grippers, better take the time to glue them on right from the start!

Also it was tricky to install just due to my particular frame. Where the rack attaches, the seatstay welds are just ending. It was a bit of a struggle, if the welds were any bigger, only modification would have gotten it on there.

I had special needs for this rack. You see, this is my commuter yet I also ride this bike on the Boise Rock Garden because it has flatpedals and no fragile large chainring or derailleur. If I'm not going to make an obstacle I can jump off the pedals and drop the bike; that's the beauty of it. Most racks are made of little rods that can support 50 pounds but would get bent if the bike was dropped on a sharp rock. This rack has 1 cm aluminum tubing for structure and is welded without any little adjustment pieces or nonsense like that, so if any rack can take a lateral impact, its this one. I can continue to drop the bike onto sharp rocks but also have a place to put my backpack... so I no longer have to show up with a big patch of sweat on my back. Perfect. If this didn't exist I would have needed one of those ugly, weak, expensive things that clamp on the seatpost so I could remove it.

OVERALL
[Jan 08, 2002]
David

Strength:

lightweight, strong, cheap

hard to adjust

I bought one "Delta Mega Rack" from REI(recently) and one "Performance Transit Rear Rack" from Performance Bicycles(a few years ago) and they look identical to me...

This rack is good if you are a bicycle commuter. It is light, sturdy and works well as a rear fender. Performance also sells a CargoNet(for $5 or $6) so strap items to the rack. I have had no problems with it in the last 2 years, and I have put about 10 pounds of gear on it and ridden on the streets about 5,000 miles.

One problem is that the rack can be hard to adjust. The only degrees of freedom you have are to rotate the rack about the drop-out brazeons(near the rear axle) and to slide the upper attachments back and forth. This works ok on my bikes(the one above and a racing bike), but you might need to stop by a bike stop and buy a little spare-parts hardware to get it to fit properly on your bike. The "real" mountain-racks, Blackburn and such, that I have seen have this hardware.

---