Blackburn MTN 2 Bike Rack

Blackburn MTN 2 Bike Rack

The most popular rack for mountain bikes. Also works/fits great on road bikes and hybrid bi ... more at the site...

[Mar 12, 2003]
Philip Davis

Strength:

So light you'd hardly know it was there.

As its aluminium, it can't be welded on tour.

I've used (and abused) this rack for two and a half years, and until it finally failed on me in Thailand last month, its been perfect. Its so light, you'd hardly know it was there when mountain biking. Its perfect for light travelling and commuting. Although its not designed for heavyweight touring I cycled c. 500 miles in the Middle East with it with a full touring weight (about 16 kg), then I did 1600 miles in SE Asia with a lighter load (but on much worse roads) of around 12 kg. It eventually cracked where the two vertical struts meet at a weld after some very rough handling on Cambodian Roads, but I managed to patch it up with superglue and zip ties. I'm not complaining about the crack - I've been carrying significantly heavier loads than its designed for.

For commuting, light touring, light off-road touring, its perfect. If you are going to do some serious loaded touring, then you may need something a bit more heavyweight, preferably made of steel so it can be re-welded.

OVERALL
[Mar 26, 2002]
A T

Strength:

Took a decade of beating. The bike it's mounted on has suffered 5 destroyed rims, 2 bent handlebars, 1 bent fork and various other damages from stupid-hard fast riding, jumping stairs etc. and despite some of the tubing suffering from a bit of griding on pavement and a few scratches it holds true and still carries a good load.

I had to drill two the stainless steel strips to fit my 20.5" mt. bike. The mounting bolts have come loose and they have stripped. (But it's mounted on a no-suspension bike and I have kept up with suspended bikes down very fast rocky trails)

If I hadn't stripped the nuts I'd mount it on my new bike.