Bauer Revolution Swing-Away Receiver Hitch Bike Rack Bike Rack

Revolution Swing-Away Receiver Hitch Bike Rack

Bauer Revolution Swing-Away Receiver Hitch Bike Rack

MIki   Weekend Warrior [Nov 18, 2015]
Strength:

We like the rack.

can loose the top bracket....gosh...after a hard ride, your mind is fuzzy....

We need help!!! We left the top of the clamp on the bumper and now have a rack without a way to clamp the bike on....I have looked all over the internet...any idea where I can get replacement parts?

Minister   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2007]

Weak parts. BVG XE-2 has a locking mechanism that plain sucks and is NOT SAFE. Whoever allowed the use of the hat cap as a locking mechanism for the "Saftey Pin" should've been fired.

The hat cap can easily pop off with very little jolting. I lost the hat cap during a recent bike trip over minimal rough terrain and although I was lucky enough to get home safely, it could have been a bad situation for others on the road if the safety pin had been lost. After checking out the bike rack further, the same hat cap is used to secure a second bolt. If both are lost, you can kiss your rack and bikes good-bye since that second bolt connects the main rack to the hitch connector...

I hope BVG is no longer using this stupid hat cap for any of their other products. Go with a bolt and nut instead.

BVG XE-2 is not safe! replace the bolt and hat cap with a screw bolt and nut if you already own one.

Bob Adkins   Downhiller [Mar 07, 2004]
Strength:

Excellent quality rack. Love the swing away feature...helps me to get into my SUV with ease. Strong and lockable as well. Hitch receiver mounts fast.

None that I have found.

I highly recommend this rack. And the Bike Racks USA guys http://www.bike-racks.biz, offered free shipping and my product got to me the next day!!

Similar Products Used: Owned a Yakima hitch before. Good rack, but almost twice the price and less quality.
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2002]
Strength:

Beefy, Durable. Complete access to the rear of my pickup without unloading bikes. Bikes stay secure. Rack comes with locks. Very smart design. Did I say this thing is BEEFY!

none yet

THe guy before gave it a weak value rating b/c it bikes hot stolen? Come on man, these things aren't sold as bike vaults. This rack is the shiznit! I bought the extension that will carry 4 bikes. I just took a 2000 mile trip with 3 bikes on the back and it performed admirably. We had 3 dogs in the back so the flexibility of being able to swing out the rack and open the tailgate was awesome. Even with 3 bikes and the rack fully swung out the bikes didn't hit my truck. All you need are a couple extra bungees to keep the wheels from spinning and you are set. GREAT RACK. I researched the THULE and the BAUER is a much better value.

Similar Products Used: yakima roof rack
Quasi Rider   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2002]
Strength:

Good locking mechanism for non-FS bikes. Easily upgraded to 4 bike capability.

Horrible rack for interupted seat tube bikes. Heavy. Better designs available.

Two years ago I loved this rack. But since then I have gotten an a FS rig and the rack worked poorly. A top tube adaptor was needed for both me and my wifes bikes--which allowed the bikes to sway---alot. The top tube adaptor also made the great locks on this rack useless. My bike hung low with the top tube adaptor, low enough that my bike's rear tire hit the pavement as I pulled out of a gas station once-Ouch.
After two years of use, the rack really began to show some wear. Down by the pivots the paint had cracked away and was rusty. The additional security pin was kind of a pain, but that is only a minor complaint.

I had since sold the rack and bought a sportworks rack. Very nice and am much happier.

Similar Products Used: Sportworks
Lucy Goodwin   Cross Country Rider [Apr 23, 2004]
Strength:

Nice looking, locking spare tire rack (this is Bauer's BVG Spare tire rack, not the revolution, but I think it is important that anyone considering this rack to benefit from my unfortunate experience)

Relatively expensive considering that it is easily broken and may result in theft or loss of your bikes unless they are under constant immediate supervision. The precise weakness is the locking bolt that attaches the rack to the mounting plate on the spare tire.

Both bikes were locked to the rack, which was locked to my car which was parked in front of a busy restaurant in a busy parking lot for about 45 minutes. When we came back outside, both bikes and most of the rack were gone without a trace (excluding the mount-plate and the distal end of the locking bolt, which was sheared off). Why pay good money for a bike rack that locks but is easy to steal anyways? The bottom line is that this rack, although it locks and is relatively expensive, is not secure and won't prevent theft in a well lit (this occurred at 3 in the afternoon on a sunny day), busy parking lot. I don't know about the warranty; it doesn't seem that they are likely to cover this sort of thing based on the fine print, and the warranty folks at Bauer have been conveniently out of the office every time I call.

DON'T BUY THIS MODEL IF YOU WANT A SECURE RACK!

IF YOU ALREADY OWN ONE, CONSIDER ADDITIONAL LOCKING DEVICES TO SECURE YOUR BIKES TO THE FRAME OF YOUR VEHICLE!

Similar Products Used: some cheaper model with no locking device-different brand that I can't remember...but was equally effective in thwarting bike theives!
eltoro   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

The rack swings out of the away from the vehicle allowing access to my SUV. The rack is lockable out of the box and can carry up to four bikes with add on extention (sold separately).

No weakness, it is the only rack I would own.

The rack is a great product to own and the service I recieved at Sportsrack (www.sportsrack.com) was equally as great.

Similar Products Used: Previously owned the Bauer Evolution rack, its fold down feature was not as convenient as is the Revolution swing away.
Tony   [Feb 26, 2003]
Strength:

Well built, option of 2or4 bikes.

When you add the 3/4 bike tube it wobbles at that point. But when i bungie cord the bikes to the anti wobble stick its rock solid as any other. It would be nice if there was a loop weled to the post so that a bike cable can be run thru it, to be able to lock the wheels.

I got the tilt down because it's much lighter and easy to store in the garage specially without the extra bike (3&4th) bike extender tube on. BTW if you get the extra bike tube, get them to match both lock sets. Great product from a reliable dealer.

Similar Products Used: Performance (non tilt)
Ken   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 22, 1999]
Strength:

Great design, allows you to set-up for 2 or 4 bike carrying capacity. The swing away feature is the BEST...there is always something you need in the back of the vehicle that would not be easy to get to otherwise. The means of locking is very well thought out...all keys alike on the bike hold-downs. They offer a very kool 'anti-wobble' pin for the receiver hitch that tightens that section up (a normal problem without this). They also offer a key lock device (I recommend) for this pin that keeps this connection to your vehicle secure.
The way the bikes mount to the rack is non-scratching/marring and, again, well thought out.

None that I found or forsee. It is heavy...but it should be to make it strong and longlasting.

If you want the best hitch mounted rack...get this one. It gives you ease of attaching both rack to the vehicle and bikes to rack, plus option of set-up for 2 or 4 bikes and the GREAT swing away feature for access inside back of vehicle for 'stuff' always needed.

Similar Products Used: Various other hang on the back cheepies.
Andy   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2001]
Strength:

Good weight distribution, made heavy product easy to carry
Easy trigger mechanism for swing away
Multi-sport adaptable
Holds ANY bike (with adapter)
Very Sturdy

Pretty heavy (45lbs) and big.

This rack was incredible! Enough said, but I'll expound. I recently purchased the Revolution, by BVG, from a local Gear on the Go, awesome customer service and nice website. Anyway, I love the product and the help I got during my purchase. Not only can I use this rack for EVERY bike in my quiver, but I can use it for my snowboard and my girlfriend's skis, as well. While the rack is a bit heavy, the design makes it easy to handle. I LOVE the locking system, completely tamper proof. The bikes/gear swing away from my Jeep with ease through the use of a brilliant trigger system (much easier than pins, and integrated with the locking system). I can also use the arm as a step in lieu of having an adequate rear bumper. I am a big fan of the clamp style holder, rather than straps. If you are a multi-sport enthusiast, this product is a must.

Similar Products Used: Rhode Gear (trunk mount, old car), Thule 993 (Expressway Hitch Carrier)