Bard Wyers Spare Logic Bike Rack

Spare Logic

• Two-bike spare tire mounting system.
  • Mounts using coated steel cable
  • Can be used on vinyl covered tires

• User Reviews (3)

Darrell   Racer [Mar 25, 2002]
    Strength:

Easy to mount bikes

Too many to list

This rack just does not hold up. The large center bolt easily cross threads, the hardware rusts overnight and the rubber on the cradle arms began to peel off the first time that I used this thing. I have never really been one to trash a product if it was half way decent, but after using (and paying $90) for this clearly inferior product, I feel as if I've been bent over and stuck where the sun don't shine. Do me a favor--save your money.

Jill   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2001]
    Strength:

Easy to attach to spare tire.

We bought this rack for a trip from AZ to CO. By the time we got to CO, the rubber coating (guarding the metal of the bike from the metal of the rack) had completely fallen apart. The bikes jostled constantly (even on the highway). Despite our best attempts at duct taping, repairing, and making adjustments of the bikes/rack, our bikes were severely scratched (as well as permanent damage to the rear window of our Wrangler from the motion of the bike handles). The main problem is that the arms are extremely flimsy and lack a quality rubber coating. We contacted the company after returning from the trip, and got no response.

We ordered this product after reading an online recommendation from an independent site. It is quite flimsy and its use will result in damage to your bikes and possibly your vehicle. Go ahead and spend the extra bucks and get something of higher quality.

R Fair   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2002]
    Strength:

The Spare Tire model is the version I bought. At least the price I paid was better than some others reported here. Looked good on the box cover. It did secure to the spare tire in a 'solid' fashion.

Product (at the "T") was rusted in the plastic bag at the weld, with rust dust. The main bolt was a 'bear' to work with, even with the supplied wrench. The bike holders rattled before I even put the bikes on (alomst any other bike rack has this problem solved). The two red bungie cords seemed a little lame to hold two bikes. You still needed a Crescent wrench, as the nuts that married to the springs were of a different size than the supplied wrench could handle. Mine was missing two (2) of the 1" plastic end pieces that fit the square frame. I never used it long enough to test the vialbility of the rubber coating. However, if that was my only concern Home Depot has rubber dipping material for tools, which should work fine here as a 'fix'.

I have been looking for a rack for the spare on my 4x4 Jeep CJ7. Its not as easy as it seems to find one, even at bike stores and RV stores.

Similar Products Used: Yakama and others....