Specialized Roval Fusee SL wheelsets - clincher

3.39/5 (18 Reviews)

• E5 alloy low-profile aero seamless, machined rim
  • Front hub: carbon center tube with alloy flanges
  • Rear hub: CNC-machined alloy body
  • DT Aerolite butted spokes
  • 20/24 spoke pattern, DoubleDrive rear pattern

Submitted by Harold Graebe

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2014

Strengths:    Light Wheels

Weaknesses:    No durability at all. I am on my third warranty set, and had a spoke break at the nipple after only 150 miles. First set developed cracks in the rims. Second set only lasted 1500 miles before spoke broke. LBS could not fix the last set, due to the nipples striping on the replacement spokes. I am a large rider, 6' 2", 200+ lbs. But had a set of Bontreger wheels with over 14,000 miles on them before they gave out. Not impressed.

Bottom Line:
I would not waste my money on these wheels.

Submitted by Michael Johnson

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2013

Strengths:    This wheels climb and handle cross winds very well, excellent descending.

Weaknesses:    I am on my third set in 12 months, cracks keep developing o the rear wheel near the spokes. Specialized in very good at honoring warranty and replacing quickly. I will replace these eventually and save a set for racing long hilly courses.

Bottom Line:
If it were not for the excellent performance, and specialized warranty, I would hesitate to buy these new.

Submitted by brendan mahar

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    Good hubs.

Weaknesses:    Spoke and rim issue.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these wheels with a specialised Tarmac pro SL4.10 months ago. The rear wheel has had two spoke replacements. The LBS had to wait in total 7 weeks to get spair spokes. This tells me that the wheels are braking spokes left right and centre. So much so that specialised cannot keep up with the warranty replacement. On first inspection and ride you would rate them highly but after 2000klms the durability issue detracts from roval and specialized. Would never recommend.

Submitted by Kevin Rolt

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    Look like they are built well and have a quality feel about them.

Weaknesses:    Spokes break way too often for a top line wheelset and my carbon front hub has just burst open with a split the width of the carbon hub. These wheels are crap, and to make it worse I've got two pairs of them.

Bottom Line:
Avoid, and unless you can show proof of purchase Specialized won't help you out.

Submitted by cfblakeman a Racer from Denver

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2012

Strengths:    Great performance when they're not broken.

Weaknesses:    Broken and dangerous way too often.

Bottom Line:
Came standard on the SL2 Pro. After 10 months of use there were hairline cracks in the rim around 50% of the spoke holes. Specialized replaced them. After 12 months on the replacements I broke a spoke today and noticed hairline cracks around a majority of the spoke holes. I've had Kysriums for 10 years and never experienced engineering failures like this. Clearly Roval was pushing against the laws of physics putting these together. As a result they are dangerous and way to delicate for even the lightest use. I noticed a number of other reviewers here with the same issues. Surprised that Specialized would continue to replace with the same dangerous wheel. We'll see what they offer me this time. Will likely sell them as new and get something that doesn't endanger my life.

Favorite Trail:   Road

Purchased At:   Specialized

Similar Products Used:   Kysrium SL

Bike Setup:   Tarmac SL2 Pro

Submitted by Michael a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Super strong and great bearings! They keep rolling and rolling! Light for the hills and fast on the flats.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
These wheels came with my Cervelo and I love them.

Duration Product Used:   Cercelo S3

Purchased At:   Helens

Submitted by vancouvergoat a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    light, stiff, fast

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels when I broke a spoke on the Fulcrum 5 wheelset which came with my Tarmac. I was already loooking at upgrading to a lighter wheelset, but hadn't completed my research when I pulled the pin.

I have been pleasently surprised. They are light, stiff and fast. Very low drag and climb like a moutain goat. They decend well, with very low drag, even in a cross wind. Still as true as the day I bought them.

Duration Product Used:   Tarmac

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 202s

Submitted by AllezXpert a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2010

Strengths:    Light! Stiff on climbs and out of the saddle. Very aero spokes and spoke count. Simple design that looks understated. Smoooth hubs.

Weaknesses:    None that've I've seen. Being a second hand owner, I'm waiting to see what their past life has done to them. So far, nothing apparent.

Bottom Line:
I have the Roval E5 Fusee SL 25. I found these on eBay for a great price and they answered my need for a race wheelset for this past season. I'm thoroughly impressed. I was hoping to find some Ksyriums for a reasonable price as these seem to be the goto set. But the Fusee SLs are great. Super light and stiff. They made a big difference on the climbs in some of my races this year. Bladed spokes slice through the wind and even minimize crosswind effects. I've had no issues with durability but they've seen limited action. I just sold my training wheelset and will now use these as my primary set until I find another spare. All in all, they're great. Durability will be tested in the coming weeks as we roll into fall. But I find these to be very strong and very solid.

Duration Product Used:   Upper Valley, eastern New Hampshire

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Easton Circuit.

Bike Setup:   07 Allez Expert. Ultegra/Dura ace drivetrain. Maxxis Zenith HC tires.

Submitted by grn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2010

Strengths:    light, zippy

Weaknesses:    durability!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
These wheels came on my 2008 Specialized Tarmac SL2 Pro. after about 4000 miles and 1 year, both rims had multiple cracks at the spoke nipple. Specialized waranteed them and sent me another pair of the same ones. My lbs said these were engineered better...well, after about 7000 miles on the second pair - same problem. I am hoping Specialized warrantys this pair too. Then I can sell them as new wheels and get a pair that will actually last. I am 6' 195lbs and mostly a recreational rider on the flats and hills of Central California. A pair of wheels at this price should last more than a year!

Duration Product Used:   any

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Campy

Bike Setup:   Tarmac SL2 Pro, Dura Ace, Specialized cranks (which have also had durability issues), Look KEO carbon

Submitted by zach.scofield a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Strengths:    Strength, stiffness, efficient.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
Have used these wheels on my friends Roubaix pro and have to say that I am thoroughly impressed. I am a larger rider at 235lbs and find these wheels to be stiff and still compliant. I was hesitant at first because of the weight of them but they rode exceptionally well. Well enough that I am getting a set for my Felt. They roll fast and Im a big fan of DT's star ratchet system.

Purchased At:   Mountain Riders

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyriums, American Classics

Bike Setup:   2011 Felt F5.

Submitted by farva a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Reasonably light, quality parts, solid construction. Easy to handle in crosswinds. Makes a good quiver of one wheelset

Weaknesses:    Wheel truing requires tire/rimstrip removal. Retail price is a little steep.

Bottom Line:
I dig these wheels. Hubs are very smooth (DT Swiss 240 internals). Top of the line DT Aerolite stainless steel spokes ride really nice. Clever nipple design (see video on specialized website) makes alot of sense. Actual weight of my wheels w/rim tape and w/o skewers - 1435g

Purchased At:   local

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium Equipe and SL, dura ace wheelsets, zipp carbon tubs

Bike Setup:   2006 Scott CR1 SL

Submitted by David a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    Light, small bladed spokes and stiff.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I probably ride about 50 mile every weekend doing various climbs, flats and just all sorts of general riding. I've also gone through about a dozen high-end bikes. Most have had Mavic Kysrium's, particularly the SL. I'll rate these compared to the Mavic Kysrium SL's as that's the other wheelset that I have now. Firstly, these wheels are great. The bladed spokes on these are smaller than on the Kysrium SL's so the cross-wind affect is minimal compared to other wheelsets. Also, this is light as heck. My front hub is carbon and fast. Where I really notice the difference is in 2 places... windy rides and hills. These wheels will go where you want. Sometimes I have to fight the crosswind with my Kysrium SL's. With the Roval Fusee E5 SL's, it's no problem. Actually, I don't even notice it. And the hills... Wow, light as heck. So light that I don't think of the wheelset as slowing me down. Whereas with some other wheelsets, I'm wishing I had a different set when I'm huffing and puffing up the steeps.

Duration Product Used:   '06 Scott CR-1

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Kysrium SL clincher, Mavic Open Pro clincher & tubs, Campagnolo Athena tubs...

Bike Setup:   '06 Scott Team CR-1 with carbon Campy Chorus grouppo and Roval Fusee E5 SL and Time RXS Carbon pedals...

Submitted by sdcyclist a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Fast, Durable, Smooth

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
Noticeably lighter and smoother. Very durable and absolutely no problems. Stays true and rides like butter. These wheels want to go fast.

Purchased At:   online