Home | Reviews | Wheelset | WTB

WTB Stryker TCS 29er Wheelset

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Searching for a strong, light, high performanceTubeless wheelset for your big rig? Featuring;TCS (Tubeless Compatible System), Sanvik bladed spokes, and WT69 alloy (the lightest strongest WTB could find).The Stryker XC 29’ are ready forThe racecourse orThe backcountry.Front (QR or 15mm) Hubs: Stryker 32 hole or Stryker 15mm 32 hole Spokes: black steelTriple butted bladed; alloy nipples; laced 3-cross Rims: StrykerTCS XC 29" Weight: 733g QR; 753g 15mm Rear Hubs: Stryker QR 32 ho

Submitted by EOS_ a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2016

Strengths:    my review for: WTB Stryker TCS Cross Country Race 29? 2012 model, superb quality regarding their fantastic low weight. Smooth rolling - good bearings

Weaknesses:    slow hub engagement (not a big issue for me), no 12x142 conversion option (big issue for me) but when they were introduced, it was not so common.

Bottom Line:
I have the WTB Stryker TCS Cross Country Race 29? 2012 model. Fantastic wheel set. My rear hub is WTB Stryker 135mm QR, same as American Classic disc. Front is WTB Laser disc 15mm through axle. Spokes are Sapim cx-rae (at least I think), which adds to their strength and low weight. Rims are superb, never had to true them. Their I-beam technology works. They are only 19mm inner width, but they are designed for XC. The white color does peal of as others mentioned so it can be an issue for those who like white color. I used these wheels tubeless with WTB Nineline tires and with tubes Specialized and Continental tires. All no problems. Hubs have good quality bearings. They roll really smooth and long. Not as long as wheels on my previous bike which had SunRingle Black Flag Expert wheels with Sunringle dirty flea hubs that have high quality Japanese bearings, but their performance is close to them. I like how the rear hub is made with the 2 screws for adjustment. They tend to loosen over time and the hub slides laterally on its axle carrying the whole wheel, but can be tightened without any problem, so not an issue. It has a.b.g. and is the most silent free hub I ever heard. At races I sneak up from behind on my opponents and over take them when they do not expect it. The only down side is slow hub engagement. That is something I personally do not mind, but for most racers it would be an issue I guess. Built quality of this wheel set is fantastic. Every time I was changing tires and had them in my hands, felt how light they are and solid built. I used them for about 3 years and made over 10 000 km I am sure. Of course they are not 100% true after that time and distance covered, but it is negligible. I do not ride too hard, mainly XC and weigh „only“ 76kg, but regarding their weight (mine are 1600g) this is outstanding performance, surely one of the best out there. Now I changed my frame and have the 12x142 rear axle option. Of course I will convert to that to take full advantage of my bike. I am really sad to have to leave these wheels behind since the rear hub is not 12x142 convertible. I got them on a super second hand deal, so can not rate their value. Bottom line, if you have 9mm QR frame and looking for a light and durable wheel set upgrade, this is a good option (if they are still available).

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   local internet bazar

Similar Products Used:   SunRingle Black Flag Expert 29" 2011, Bontrager Mustang 29"

Bike Setup:   custom TREK Superfly 5 2014 18,5

Submitted by Noclutch

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable TCS, light and inexpensive for basically UST bead sockets, low maintenance hub, steel hub shell inserts

Weaknesses:    Decals bubbly, and water transfer graphics flake- pick yer poison; 19mm inner- wider would be nice; hub engagement not the quickest

Bottom Line:
Mine weighed in at 1640 with tape no valves, 15mm front. I have about 1200 miles on mine now. They are of the first run of these wheels that had water transfer graphics that flaked and chipped some. Newer ones have decals that have been bubbly ( I sent one decal-ed front back as initially received a mixed set- opted for two water transfers. Front hasn't lost any paint- only the rear in a few spots). Other than those gripes, I think that these are awesome wheels. I ride sorta clumsily ie don't necessarily pick smooth lines on a FS. in pretty rocky quarry is and rooty XC. Occasional biff. My front has yet to need any truing, the rear once ( by me - no biggie) after a hundred miles, and not again for a thousand miles with minor tweaking needed. Barely burped once and it was just a spittle of Stans while running low 20's psi ( I weigh 150#) I have absolute confidence in the bead retention while using TLR Schwalbes- haven't used anything else though.