Home | Reviews | Wheelset | WTB

WTB LaserDisc XC Wheelset

2.87/5 (30 Reviews)
Weight : Front wheel: 775 grams Rear wheel: 1025 grams MSRP : $99.49

You need a front wheel for you favorite whip. Sure, you could settle for some half-ass, get-the-job-done front wheel, or you could go straight for the goods with the WTB LaserDisc XC 28-hole Front Wheel. Built using WTB's lightest rim, the LaserDisc XC Front Wheel reduces rotating weight for faster cornering and increased acceleration. But the LaserDisc XC Front wheel is not only light, it's also super-tough so purchasing a new front wheel doesn't become a seasonal activity.

Submitted by XCSUR4 a Cross Country Rider from Onatrio, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2012

Strengths:    reliable and light

Weaknesses:    can't find them @ LBSs

Bottom Line:
I've been mnt.biking since '86, since '94 on nothing but Mavics. I was a bit worried at first when I saw these wheels OEM on my new bike, but these things ROCK !
I'm 185 lbs, I ride hard, and I ride predominately at 3stage, Blue Mountain/Collingwood. Anyone who has ridden here will tell you it's ROCKY and rough. If these wheels work under me, they'll work under anyone. I've ridden almost 5 full seasons on these wheels with very little grief. Currently I have what is my 3rd broken spoke, so I am looking for a replacement for the rear. But I have ridden about 70KM on this wheel WITH a broke spoke !...
and it's still fairly straight. This had proven to be the most reliable wheel I have ever had on the rear of a bike.
Go get some !

Purchased At:   OEM, '07 Giant Anthe

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517s, 321s, 230s, Araya, and so on.

Bike Setup:   07 Giant Anthem1, XT drivetrain, WTB wheels on DT hubs, Hayes 9 xc brakes, Fox shox F100R + rear, RaceFace XC crank, Specialized Team Control and Team Master rubber, Kore (easton) flat bar with Concept barends(94)

Submitted by scrambledawg a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2011

Strengths:    Inexpensivd

Weaknesses:    Everything else

Bottom Line:
On my very first ride on these wheels I bent the rear on a benign rock hit on a section of trail I've ridden 100s of times without incident. These things suck.....if you're going to ride a paved bike path, these are for you. This was NOT a gnarly trail (LOTB if you're familiar)....about as buff as it gets and the rim failed on the first ride. Unreal.

Favorite Trail:   Kessel Run

Purchased At:   GBS

Submitted by cigar_fiend a Cross Country Rider from Norman, OK USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    None that I can find

Weaknesses:    I was at a MTB Race in Ardmore Oklahoma this past weekend and hit a patch of sand that sent me head first into a tree. These rims bent like wet paper. I was able to finish the race because they were rubbing the inside of my shock, but still rolling. I am very disappointed in these rims. I was hoping they would last longer so I could save up for some nice Easton or Mavics, but I guess I will be getting upgrades before I planned to!

Bottom Line:
These rims are not strong at all. I was not going fast when I hit the sand & tree. This is evident by the total lack of any injury to myself. This front rim is weaker than warm butter. I have called BikeOne and they are going to see if they can be trued or if they have to be replaced. Hopefully, if they have to be replaced BikeOne will work with me some.

Favorite Trail:   Clear Bay & Draper

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   Came on my bike as purchased from BikeOne in Norman.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Kunshan, Jiangsu, China

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, look good

Weaknesses:    With less than 200 km on them, the rear wheel is no longer straight enough to ride.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the bike here in Kunshan. Although the mountain biking is limited in here, the short travel and light weight are perfect for riding the rough roads or city riding. I love this bike. I'm a big guy, 6'-1" and 190 lbs. After only 200 km of riding (bunny hopped a couple of speed bumps and ridden off a curb here and there) the rear wheel wiggled more than a hooker's ass on Friday night. It needs some serious straightening. I had no problems with the hubs but the build of this wheelset sucks! I know it's a racing wheelset, but I'm not even riding off road! WTB wouldn't even respond to my emails. The LBS had to completely rebuild the wheels. They were OK until a crash taco-ed the front wheel. No replacement for 28 hole rims. I bought an xt/mavic 317 set.

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Duros, custom built wheels.

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem, full Shimano XT, 3.5" Fox suspension front and rear.

Submitted by danielle a Weekend Warrior from lowell

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Strengths:    inexpensive, holds up fine for what i do

Weaknesses:    could be lighter but its entry levelish so thats to be expected

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that this wheelset came off of a bike that i purchased at rei, a novara ponderosa fsl, which was at the time the most expensive bike that rei puts out. the bikes price was $1799 retail. i worked for them, so i didnt pay that much. i switched out the frame and used most of their parts on an enduro frame.

for they money this a great set of wheels. they are really supposed to be for cross country, i belive my wheelsize it 26 x 2.1 and i havent had any pinch flats. i'm not doing any huge drops with the bike and i only weigh 120lbs, so the hubs have held up fine for me with no problems. i think for sure that when you purchase a wheelset in the $200 range, you need to expect it to perform like a $200 wheelset, and not the best wheelset on the market. i;m sure that this would not be a good wheelset for downhill or heavy duty freeride. but for cross country and more light use trairide its fine.

Bike Setup:   specialized enduro frame, crank brothers candy ti pedals, chris king threadless headset, shimano lx shifters, shimano xt front/rear derailleurs, fox float front and rear suspention, truvativ stylo crank, laser disc lite hubs, wtb laser disc xc rims, wtb epic wolf race tires, ect ect

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight and cost, mine were 2003 LaserDisc Lite and weighed just over 1715g. I have since rebuilt these hubs and use Stan's Olympic ZTR rims.

Weaknesses:    NONE! I only rebuilt the hubs with new rims to shave more weight.

Bottom Line:
The LaserDisc Lite Hubs are licensed from Bill Shook of American Classic. The design is licensed by MANY other major wheel builders. The reason they are licensed is because of simplicity of design, lite weight and durability. The hubs I used to build my stan's wheelset are my orginal WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs from 3 years ago. I have rebuilt them once a year after xc race season. I have never had a problem with these hubs. I have owned my Ritchey Protocol Road Wheelset for over a year which uses the same WTB design in the rear hub and I love them. I put in at least 120 miles a week on Road and another 40-50 miles on my MTB wheelset.

These are THE MOST POPULAR MTB RACE HUBS used! Period!

Why a few people have had problems is beyond me. I maintain my hubs once a year. I have another set of Ritchey OCR Pro Disc wheelset used for training and on my girlfriends bike. They use the same WTB LaserDisc Lite Hubs...only difference is a Ritchey Logo!

Favorite Trail:   Epics

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, WTB, Syncros, American Classic. (They all use the same hubs!)This is a short list of who uses these hubs.

Bike Setup:   Extralite V.4 X-Link, SRAM X.O., Stans Olympic ZTR rims with WTB LaserDisc Lite Hubs, Formula Puro Brakes. Eggbeater Triple Ti. Mostly Extralite components.

Submitted by scott oakley a Cross Country Rider from cornelius

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight

Bottom Line:
The wheels are stock for the 904. This is an XC bike that I ride 40+mi a week. I have had absolutely no problems what's so ever. I just had to get the wheels trued because I took a branch and it bent a spoke. I ran into a tree head on and blew the tire, but did not hurt the wheel. I've gotten pinched flats, but did not hurt the wheel. I go through a creek crossing every week and still no issues. They are a good value and a good upgrade. I only wish they were lighter. The 904 is KHS' top of the line XC bike, so it's disappointing that they went with a value set instead of CrossMax SL's.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Norman

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   KHS 904xr SID World Cup, Fox AVA, Truvativ Stylo Team, XTR Rear, XT Front, Avid 7's, Panaracer XC Pro's

Submitted by Tim from C.Springs--Colorado

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    LaserDisc lite::Low weight, strong rims stay true under tough conditions, quit-ish rear hub, look good

Weaknesses:    I've got a wobble in the rear hub, maybe,...I'm trying to figure out what needs a little tighten. But I like my set-up...a lot.

Bottom Line:
Wow, lots of anger, lots of bad stories below. I'm sorry those guys had bad experiences. I've got the LaserDisc lite set on my bike, not sure what the difference is between mine and the XC, but here are my thoughts...

...the disc only LaserDisc Lite wheelset is a blast and I've had no maintainance issues. They spin and spin, while I bounce a lot. I drop a little, rock garden a little, down hill a bit, and basically wanted a strong rim that was also low on the scales. I got it. I like the non-tingy sound of the rear end and I've had no probs. with the hub (lite version). After a few hundred miles of consistant graceful abuse, I have not found a reason to true this set. A testimony to WTB's build and full suspension sweetness of my 5.5.
As I mentioned, there is a wobble in the rear, but I haven't sorted it out yet, it's super subtle and I need to find the loose linkage nut, or tighten the hub a tiny bit. Anyway, they track true, seem to have a damp property of absorbing lateral energy(maybe a tad flexy, but they steer great).

I'm very happy with my all WTB wheelset...the LaserDisc Lite set has been excellent and tough. I work part-time at a bike shop, can get whatever I want, and I'd go for another set based on my experience so far!! I will give away a chili out of respect for the bummer reviews on the XC rear hub, but my LD-Lite set is excellent.

Thanks WTB for all the stickers that I give to the High School kids I ride with. I asked for a few and got about 20, more than I expected...that was cool.

Bike Setup:   Review for Laser Disc lite wheelset with motoraptor tires on an Intense 5.5, HFX mag+, blah, blah...sweet all mountian weapon!!

Submitted by Anthony a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, nice looks, very sturdy and strong, both v-brake and disc compatible

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
My wheels came with an XT hub, NOT the faulty WTB hub. I can see why theY decided to switch to a more dependable rear hub. All in all I've had zero problems with them; they are responsive, light, good looking, and relatively cheap if u can still find a pair! Im strictly an XC rider and tthey have served me well! IF U FIND A PAIR DONT HESITATE TO BUY IT, THOUGH MAKE SURE THE REAR HUB IS AN XT!

Similar Products Used:   Road multiple Mavics etc.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with the WTB wheels, panaracer fire xc pro tires, kore bar and stem, judy c fork, cane creek headset

Submitted by greenteam a Cross Country Rider from North Andover MA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
Normally, I research before I buy and now I remember why. I bought these on a whim and 3 rides later the freehub broke. Sent them back and the first ride back freehub broke again. The is the worse product I've ever bought in 15 years of biking. DO NOT BUY THESE. CC is taking these back. I'm getting Chris King.

Favorite Trail:   fells, HP

Purchased At:   CC

Similar Products Used:   shimano XR, XTR, ringle

Bike Setup:   blur, XT, avid, pyslo

Submitted by Walt a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Strengths:    None seen...

Weaknesses:    Weak, unreliable hub

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike less than two weeks ago at Supergo Bike. Great components for the price, though I was unfamiliar with the WTB wheelset. I am now... On the THIRD ride (on moderate stuff), the rear hub/free wheel failed completely ("shattered" was the tech's term) and I had to hike out 2 miles. Supergo replaced it at no charge, though WTB would NOT warrant the part. On the third ride after that (again, on moderate stuff, 6th ride total), the rear hub failed again, in Sedona, this time, and I had to hike out 3.5 miles. I brought it back to Supergo and told them to replace the wheelset with a non-WTB product, or give me a refund. After some "discussion," Supergo agreed to replace the WTB wheelset with a Shimano XT hub/Mavic 223 rim wheelset. That is what I have on my other (much less expensive) bike and it has been bomber for 1 1/2 years. No issues. I will keep using WTB tires, but I will NEVER purchase another WTB wheelset or component.

Favorite Trail:   All South Mtn. (Phoenix) Trails

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT/Mavic 223 wheelset

Bike Setup:   Weyless XP Pro, Easton RAD triangle, Fox TALAS shocks, 5" travel, Avid Juicy hydraulics, SRAM attack shifters, WTB Laser Disc hub with Speed Disc rim, WTB Weirwolf 2.3 tires

Submitted by john a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    last awhile

Weaknesses:    freehubs suck A*S

Bottom Line:
Deffinetly not made for what i do but held up to a 12 foot drop behind my house. they've been trued 3 times and have had a long life. my freehub is blown but the rims and spoke and everything are still good. ive owned these wheels for 3 years and there awsome. Im a 15 year old who weighs 130, im a freerider, urban and trial rider and these RIMS are qaulity sh*t. hubs suck, they come loose.

Favorite Trail:   nine levels of hell, banana, south of hell.

Purchased At:   took from brothers bike

Bike Setup:   kona stinky, 04' Z1 drop off 2, maxxis mobsters, deore, avid disc

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, MI

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight and strong rim

Weaknesses:    Rim is really narrow if you like to ride 2.1+ width tires. The hubs could be stronger.

Bottom Line:
When I first got these I thought they were trash my issues are as follows.
1. The narrow rims gave me a lot of pinch flats on wider tires.
2. The wheels would never stay trued, even for disk wheels they would get out of wack really noticeable reel quick.
3. The hubs always got lose I constantly had to cut rides short cuz front or rear hubs were loose. The hub never went bad but I can see how they can loosen themselves then go bad really quick.

This is what I did I rebuilt them I didn't replace anything just totally striped them and rebuilt them. After I did this they have been ok for me. I still wish I had different wheels but all in all they have not failed me yet and I rebuilt them over a year ago. If the trail is really bad I will switch to my other wheels that are a lot stronger and heaver. I kind of baby them in that way I guess but I'm still 6-5 250lb and hard on stuff just from my size and normal riding.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, strong and they stay straight

Weaknesses:    Initial WTB buildup

Bottom Line:
This review is for the LaserDisc Lite wheelset!

I was initially worried about buying a wheelset from WTB, due to the mixed reviews. However, most people that have had bad experiences with WTB wheelsets had problems with the hubs. Since these are new hubs(which are also used on the DH wheelset)designed by American Classic, I decided to give them a shot. Boy, am I glad I did!

The wheels were not initially straight from WTB, but after a few rides I had them trued, and they have been perfect since. I am a heavy rider, 210lbs.+, and I like drops and big rock gardens, and this wheelset has not missed a beat.

I would recommend this wheelset to anyone from light XC to moderate freeride, because they are light where they can be, and strong where they need to be.

Favorite Trail:   Any with big rocks

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Heavy stuff from France.

Bike Setup:   03 Heckler, Fox fork, carbon this, titanium that, bla-bla-bla.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2003

Strengths:    Price, Durable and Silent Running!

Bottom Line:
I read in Mtn. Bike Magazine this wheelset won there award for budget wheelset. The technology was bought from American Classic Wheels and better designed by WTB. I ride 2 rides per week and my weekend ride is usually long. I have NONE of the problems mentioned. Sounds like a LONE poster is reposting because he got a little angry. Sorry, but I have done everything to find a weakness, not cleaned or lubricating my bike after weeks of rides. Heavy hits, rock gardens, 2-3ft drops, staircases, someone tell me how to cause these wheels to fail without having to jump off my roof or take a blowtorch to them?

I will admit after not cleaning the hubs they did make noise after stream crossings and dusty trails. This was after multiple rides and what do you expect? These are not Chris King Freehubs and they cost much less.

Great wheels for the price and would defintely recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Epics

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Ritchey, Chris King.

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight

WTB Laserdisc XC or Another Set for Son?

Trying to build up a light hardtail bike for my 11 year old (4' 6" and 65 pound) son using the frame his sister has outgrown. Son rides a variety of trails that include rocks and roots. One of the wheelsets available at the lbs is WTB Laserdisc XC with Shimano XT hubs. (Another wheelset they ha ... Read More »

WTB Laserdisc XC 29" wheels

I recently bought a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 DXC. (really love this bike, big change from my 2011 xcal) It came with WTB Laserdisc 700C (29") Cross County rims laced to Deore M525 hubs. I can't find very much info on these wheels. I know that they are 19mm interior width and are not tubeless read ... Read More »

WTB LaserDisc XC wheels from BWW

[url]http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/mountain/cross-country/wtb-laserdisc-xc-custom/prod_88.html[/url] Anyone try these? It looks like a pretty great deal, if the rims will last. Reviews are mixed, but it seems like a lot of people got them OEM, so I'm suspicious of the quality of the bu ... Read More »

WTB LaserDisc XC not disc compatible?

I just noticed this after 6 years of owning the bike. The rear hub is a WTB Speed XC, which is not disc compatible, and that's all well and good. The front hub however, is a WTB LaserDisc XC, with no rotor mount. Its laced radially, which means it couldn't take the torque of a disc brake anyw ... Read More »

Sun DS1-XC XT Disc or WTB LaserDisc XC Wheelset at BWW -- Worth it?

I'm looking for a cheap disc wheelset (upgrading from V to disc). BWW has a Sun DS1-XC XT Disc wheelset for $135. They aren't the lightest wheels (2035g for the pair), but for Sun rims, XT 6-bolt hubs, and DT Swiss Champion spokes this is a pretty tough deal to beat. Does anyone have any experien ... Read More »