Vuelta Team SuperLite Disc Wheelset

• Drilling: 28f/28r
  • Pattern: three cross

Submitted by willywilly a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    -light
-inexpensive

Weaknesses:    -none

Bottom Line:
I wanted something light for my bike, and at around 1600g and $270, these fit the bill without breaking the bank. There's nothing better than a light wheelset because you can really feel the difference every time you pedal. I got these from bikeisland and out of the box they were straight and true with no damage and with everything there. I couldn't be more happy with this upgrade and haven't had any problems so far in the year I've had them, but I mainly ride xc and am a lightweight.

Purchased At:   bikeisland

Similar Products Used:   -mavic crossride

Submitted by Gabe3 a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2011

Strengths:    light and cheap

Weaknesses:    I bought this wheelset brand new on ebay about 6 months ago, after 4 months I started hearing a noise in the rear hub and then the freehub body began to slip when I would start to pedal. I took the freehub out and cleaned the pawls and lubed, a few weeks later its making loud creaking noises and slipping. I only had about 700 miles till I started having these issues. I thought this wheelset was a win. I could get a new freehub body for $50, but if its going to go bad every 700 miles, money is better spent on a new rear wheel from another brand. I can't recommend this wheelset and I won't be buying vuelta again.

Bottom Line:
do not buy

Submitted by rojomas a Weekend Warrior from Wheredaphuqarwe

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Cheap, Smooth

Bottom Line:
These things roll really well. My bike was hanging from the rafters in my garage when my girlfriend came over. Before she came in to the house she spun my front wheel. She talked to me inside the house for about 5min. then we went back out to the garage where she continued to talk to me. Then she stopped dead in her sentence and said, "Really? that wheel is still spinning? It hasn't slowed down and that was over 5min ago. Really?" She continued to talk to me and every couple of minutes she would turn and say, "Really? It's still not slowing down. WTH?"
I knew they felt fast while riding them but I had no idea they spun so well.

These might not be the strongest wheelset out there but
I'm 210 lbs. and I haven't had any problems with them. It may be due to my BMX background and knowing how to land but I have jumped them (nothing huge) and they're still true. I think if you use them for their intended use and not abuse them, you'll be fine. After all they are a light weight XC wheelset.

I really love how the rear freehub sounds and it's engagement. They sound to me kind of like a quieter Chris King hub.

Favorite Trail:   Yo mama

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race light,

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Titanium Fly Team 29er.

Submitted by greensprings a Racer from Ashland, OR

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2011

Strengths:    inexpensive!! Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Maybe not super durable. Not really compatible w/tubeless

Bottom Line:
No one but Vuelta sells wheels this light this cheap.
I weigh 160 and have ridden these wheels hard in races through cobbles and stuttering sideways around corners. They have rarely needed truing. When they do the bladed spokes make it easy since you can see if you've twisted a spoke. After a season of really hard riding I broke my rear axle and a spoke. I replaced both with parts from Bike Island. Axle replacement was a little tricky. There is a hidden C clip in the freehub. Also the cassette tends to dig into the freehub body a bit. Don't know if this will be a problem.
I actually bought a second pair of these wheels as I am poor and these are the best for the $.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fly Ti

Submitted by G-FOURce a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA (USA)

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2011

Strengths:    superlight, well built, great value

Weaknesses:    ugly stickers

Bottom Line:
i, too, am a 200lb rider and i have been supremely happy with this wheelset. i am slow uphill but i bum rush the downhills and these wheels havent failed a bit - not a spoke, rim, or hub issue at all. i run my suspension a little softer b/c i know these rims are for XC duty and so far everything is working out just fine. i run platforms and dab a lot so i get into the corners as much as gravity, good sense, and my Fat Alberts will allow. if you want a bomb-proof set of downhill and freeride wheels, these arent for you. however, if you want a set of do-it-all XC/AM wheels and you're not going to be shooting for a SportsCenter highlight reel then these are a great choice.

Favorite Trail:   Anything downhill

Purchased At:   BikeIsland.com

Bike Setup:   Tomac Snyper 140 w/X0 + RF drivetrain, Revelation SL and RP23

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Riverside, IL

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Weaknesses:    This wheel set should come with a weight limit. I'm 6'2", 200lbs and these wheels couldn't hold up to 20mi of trail riding here on the relatively smooth trails at Palos. To top it off, I've been trying to purchase a new wheel as part of Vuelta's crash replacement policy to no avail. After many emails, Vuelta responds that they have no idea when a new wheel might be available, and that it may never become available; they just don't know. Vuelta doesn't offer an alternative, just advice to keep trying and maybe one day they may have the wheel.

Bottom Line:
A product is only as good as the company that 'stands behind it'. Vuelta makes a weak wheel that is supported by a company with an even weaker policy on warranty/crash replacement. Consider them a disposable wheel set and forget about Vuelta once they're in the trash bin.

Favorite Trail:   If it's got hills it's all good

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Mavic C29ssmax, Shimano XT 29er, Mavic Crossmax SLC, Crank Brothers Cobalt, and numerous build-ups with DT Swiss hubs and Mavic rims.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fly XX 29er Ti. Stock except for Shimano XT 29er wheels, Thomson elite seat post, WTB Pure V SLT saddle, Chris King head set, Thomsom X4 stem, Salsa Pro Moto carbon bars, Lizard Skin lock-on Peaty grips.

Submitted by Taocat a Cross Country Rider from Papillion, NE

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast, durable.

Weaknesses:    Was missing a skewer when I got them.

Bottom Line:
Great value on a reasonably lightweight wheelset! Never had a problem with these going out of true. Fast rolling! Set them up "ghetto tubeless" without any problems. Love these wheels and may look to Vuelta for a set of cross' wheels too!

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jack's (Colorado Springs)

Purchased At:   Bike Island

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hubs with mavic rims, other house brand wheels.

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX frame with SID fork, IRC Mythos XC II tires

Submitted by HiptonRadcliffeIII a Cross Country Rider from Keego Harbor, MI

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    light and cheap

Weaknesses:    strength. cheesy graphics (but I don't think mountain biking is strong in this category in general). compatibility (don't bring these into your lbs looking for parts).

Bottom Line:
this product does not have strong enough rims for my style of riding.
If your tires regularly leave the ground while riding xc or your an aggressive corner-er, these are seriously not for you. I've bent the rim to the point it hits the frame twice. I've ridden the wheelset twice.
If your fast because you crank hard in flats or climb like a goat, these might work for you.
However, if you make up time in technical sections and corners. you need something else.
you might be sitting there saying: duh! why are you buying a light weight wheel set? I've never had a problem in the past. I weight 160lbs. I am relatively smooth in technical terrain, but I need my wheels to be able to take some side load as I am getting through technical terrain.
results seem to vary...

Favorite Trail:   Holdridge

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   mostly AM style wheels

Bike Setup:   Qball 29er

Submitted by Plain Jim a Weekend Warrior from Central Jersey, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    The wheels themselves? I like ‘em. Nice and light; noticeably better for quick starts and hills than the Xero’s I replaced.

Weaknesses:    1. Tires are hard to put on & off. I used to do it by hand on my old wheels; with the Vuelta’s, I have to use a stiff tire tool (they broke my lightweight one). This is a problem, because…
2.The rim tape that comes on the wheels is useless. I ground through about five tubes, and only noticed on the last one that the punctures were on the INSIDE of the tube, not the tire side (I’m not the brightest bulb in the chandelier). Do yourself a favor: get the 17mm-wide Velox rim tape while you’re waiting for delivery, and, before you install the tubes, rip out that cheesy Vuelta rim tape and put in the Velox.
3. The quick release for the rear wheel kept loosening up. This was not a problem with the front release, nor have I heard this complaint anywhere else, but I almost wiped out halfway through a club ride (there was some warning; I heard a rub and felt some wobbliness that wasn’t a flat tire, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. Like I said, not the brightest bulb…). I replaced with some standard inexpensive QR’s, and have not had a problem since. It’s kinda too bad, because the Vuelta QR triggers are cool-lookin’.

Bottom Line:
Get 'em, but do the maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   flat & paved

Similar Products Used:   Xero's that came on my old Giant OCR2

Bike Setup:   Habanero frame, Tiagra/105/Truvativ Touro drivetrain

Submitted by Marquism1 a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    Lightest wheel for the price. Shipping is included in the price from Bike Island.

Weaknesses:    Too many gaudy stickers, but they're easily removed.

Bottom Line:
Can't be beat for the price. They're really light, perfectly smooth sealed bearings, quiet freehub. I don't think they'd handle hucking cliffs or repeated hammering in big rock gardens, but for fast XC these are very nice. Not as nice of a finish as a high-end Mavic, but for 1/3 the price I can live with that. Very solid so far. I have a set of ultra light Vuelta road wheels from Bike Island and they're holding up very well after a few years of high mileage. A 1500 gram disc wheelset for $269 total is a nice deal.

Favorite Trail:   If I told you, you'd ride there and I can't have that...

Purchased At:   Bike Island

Similar Products Used:   Dozens of wheelsets on many different bikes.

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Azure

Submitted by USAF a Weekend Warrior from Iron River, WI

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Strengths:    LIGHT!

Bottom Line:
Can't imagine a better wheel for the price.

Favorite Trail:   CAMBA

Bike Setup:   Ti Motobecane Fantom Pro

Submitted by trekusps a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, smooth bearings and graphics that match my bike.

Weaknesses:    None at all.

Bottom Line:
These wheelsets are as light as the best of them but strong. My digital scale weighed them in at 1502 grams with the included rim strips. Now that is what I call light! Been going at speed at my usual trail park without any problems. Over ruts, studder bumps, big hits, so far the rims have taken the beating. Noticed that the rims are a bit more forgiving than my former Sun Rhyno Lite rims. Having bladed spokes as standard helps with the downhills. I picked up an extra mile or so on my top end speed.

Definitely climbing with this wheelset is a joy. Imagine losing a pound and a half off your wheelset and you will understand. Better acceleration, climbing over obstacles and cutting through the wind all add up to a better riding experience. The hubs spin very smooth and actually the rear hub is quieter than my Shimano XT when spinnning. Going around switchbacks, the Vuelta seem solid and responsive. No flexing here. Pointing downhill like I said before, the wheelset seems forgiving and aid to shock absorption without feeling like a wet noodle.

Nice anodized black finish that matches my bike. Just so you know, these wheelsets are disc specific, so no V-brakes fans accepted! Overall, a great wheelset that is very light and won't break the bank.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Peak

Purchased At:   bikeisland.com

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rhyno Lites with Shimano XT hubs, Mavics with White Industries Hubs or Shimano XT, Deore, Spinergys.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 80 with mix of Shimano LX and Avid shifters and brakes.

Submitted by fitzfruitloops a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2010

Strengths:    LIGHT & STRONG. No tweaking needed after hard miles on rough trails. Blade/low-profile spokes look great. PRICE!

Weaknesses:    Front wheel dish is slightly off-center, mild annoyance.

Bottom Line:
I bought a used Motobecame (FlyTeam) for the parts & these wheels came with it. Switched it over to a Superlight and now I'm flying. I love these wheels. I like the look (might remove graphics). I like the quick engage hub and lower click than shimano stuff.

I've put these through some pretty rough trails (lots of roots and hard switchbacks), they've stayed straight and true. I've laid it down a few times and got right up to crank out more miles. I even went ahead and picked up a pair of the Superlight Pros for $75 in new condition as back-ups (that's a sick deal).

You just can't beat these wheels for the money. Dump the dollars on the rest of your rig and blow by your buddies!

Favorite Trail:   Swift Cove, Pisgah

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   XT & XTR on Mavic rims

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight w/ SID Race, Chris King hset, Thomson post/stem, XTR Drive, Easton bar, Elixer CR discs

Submitted by IMHO a Weekend Warrior from Fuquay Varina

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2009

Strengths:    Light, light, light. 1600g for under $300.

Weaknesses:    Some people don't like the stickers. I left mine on, but have seen them without stickers and they look pretty stealth.

Bottom Line:
These came on my Motobecane Fantom Team. They were true on delivery and have been fantastic. I did bend a spoke slamming into a ride, and the wheel barely out of true. Rode it for a few weeks like that before having the spoke replaced. After one year, my rear sealed bearing felt not as smooth as the front, so I replace all of them with an upgraded bearing (for like $20 total).

I was in the low 190's when I started riding these. Now I am in the low 160's and my weight has never been a problem. I go over logs, rocks, jumps and drop-offs and the wheels have been solid.

For a typical week, I get three rides on these wheels over roots and rocks on my FS and my SS and have used them for my first race recently. I was looking for something different for my SS but cannot come close to the weight for the price (other than Maddux from PricePoint, but I know nothing about them). After a year of use and no problems, I cannot see why I should buy anything else.
*only four overall due to replacing sealed bearings

Favorite Trail:   Bandit Trail

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Low end Ritchey, Low end Shimano, Bontrager Race Lites, Mavic 717's w/XT hubs.

Bike Setup:   I swap these back and forth from my Motobecane Fantom Team to my Soul Cycles Hooligan Single Speed.