Vuelta MTB SuperLite Handbuilt Wheelset

Vuelta MTB SuperLite Handbuilt 26" Alloy MTB XC Wheelset

Submitted by turbotoad a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2015

Strengths:    Super light like their name states.

Weaknesses:    Graphics are kinda ugly/gaudy.

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these for their claimed weight and the price compared to others with similar specs. I got the wheels and put them on the build I was working on. WOW! these are really light and the rear hub made a sweet ratcheting sound. After some fairly gnarly rides the wheel were still true and working great. But after only about a year of use the front bearings were toast. I ordered a new front axle/bearing set from the Vuelta website and replaced the axle and bearing on the front wheel. Two year later and it is still working great, although sometimes at slow revolution something makes a high pitched "squeeking" noise in tandem with the wheel rotation. I think it's the rubber o-ring seal on the axle end cap. But it doesn't affect performance at all. In addition to the bearing issue, I had a rear derailleur mishap that sent the rear deraileur into the rear spokes. It broke two spokes off a the nipples and bent another one. I again order replacements from Vuelta and replaced the broken parts. The rear wheel barely even went out of round even missing two spokes!!!

I liked these wheels so much that I have order two addition sets over the past few years for various bikes I have built. The newer ones I bought had a different front hubs that have 20mm bearing openings that accept 15mm through axle and 9mm QR adapters. Plus they are built with flat bladed spokes.

So I now run these on three different bikes and love them. I did peel off all of the decals on them though as the graphics were a little over the top and obnoxious.

Unfortunately the Vuelta website doesn't seem to carry these (or any MTB wheels) anymore, and the repair parts for the front hub/bearings lists the "old" style and not the newer through axle ones. Not sure there is any Vuelta support for these anymore.

Favorite Trail:   Holdridge Lakes

Duration Product Used:   many years

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Sun Ringle, Shimano Deore, Bontrager Mustang.

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!