Velomax Climax Wheelset

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 1658 grams MSRP : $680.00

• Oversize suspension fork hub
  • Self adjusting sealed cartridge bearings with proprietary lubricant
  • Custom anodized alloy nipples (brass rear drive side)
  • Aero cross section rims
  • Double butted stainless steel spokes - black finish
  • Dark titanium gray anodized finish with machined braking surfaces

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Bruce James a Weekend Warrior from Burley, ID USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Strengths:    Fairly lightweight, super strong, roll like a dream. Don't assume I'm gay if I think they're pretty! I'm not gay, they are pretty.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found yet.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line-two wrecks. The first should have taco'd my front wheel. It did manage to separate my shoulder. The second - somehow a nice thick stick found its way into my front wheel. Over the handlebars again. Didn't pop a spoke and the wheel is still perfectly true! At first I was hesitant to fork out even the 260,(I'm a tightwad) After riding on them for a year, highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good solid wheel. I would be glad to pay double to replace them. I feel my opinion is objective too, I would be happy to tell you if they sucked steaming chilis. If you want a good deal find them on eBay.

Favorite Trail:   any within my limited abilities

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Stock wheels on two different GT's

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive 3.0 XT/XTR'd all over. Manitou Black Elite front. Fox Floater on the tail.

Submitted by Clyde from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2002

Strengths:    - Bombproof
    - light weight for the strength

Weaknesses:    - cost is a rip off

Bottom Line:
    These wheelsets as well as their Rogue set are simply velocity rims with their own hubs. Do you want to build these wheels for half of what the MSRP is? By the Velicity Deep V and Aero Heat rims (about $25- $40 each and usually being on sale) and get some Chris King hubs. I've been using this combination for the last 3 years. I prefer the Aero Heat rims as the don't require the long tube stems (good luck finding these for mountain bikes).

Also of note, I weigh 225lbs and have never had my rims trued even throug 3 race seasons. Enough said.

Favorite Trail:   all

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Rolla, MO

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Strengths:    These wheels rock. I have to tell the world about them. Of course I could be like this because my last wheels sucked so bad. But I think they rock. The are light and spin like you would not beleive. Even riding my MTB across town is a lot better or a trip. Oh so light

Weaknesses:    Going to be lots of bank when it comes time to replace a spoke but I have talked to many a racer and they say they have never had to replace one and few have even had to true them.

Bottom Line:
    You want to ride a lot or just dont want to ever mess with a wheel this is it for you.

Favorite Trail:   Mill Creek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nothing is similar

Bike Setup:   Gary big sur. mix of xt and lx parts. time on the cranks

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Or USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    these wheels are light, strong and well engineered.
    spin fast and look great.

Weaknesses:    retail price is pretty expensive.
    i haven't had to replace a spoke yet, we'll see how that goes

Bottom Line:
    these wheels are really nice and i truly love them.
    i was somewhat skeptical when i purchased them because i got them off of e-bay and honestly knew nothing about them. i researched them, bought them and am very impressed. i felt compelled to write a review because they have improved my riding experience so much. retail price is high but they are available for much less if you look hard enough. the front hub is over-sized and adds torsional stiffness. these wheels spin smooth and fast and hold up to quite a bit of pounding. so far so good.

Favorite Trail:   bachelor to bend

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   shimano xt, mavic 217

Bike Setup:   kona munimula, marzocchi z4, race face next, avid etc.

Submitted by Perci a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, MI

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
    Light, strong, stiff, cool. Comes true, stays true after a hard ride. These wheels will take every abuse. I got it from Ebay for $300. I think the best investment for my bike.
    For those looking for bombproof wheels this is it. I'm 170 lbs. This wheels cost $700 but check ebay.

Favorite Trail:   Highland

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Jamis Komodo LT, Velomax climax, Marzocchi Atom bomber.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Strengths:    Very light, and very stong. Tight spoke tension.

Weaknesses:    Price, but I got lucky on a set of new ones on e-bay - seller got them at close out cost from bankruptcy sale. Otherwise, no way I could have afforded them. (They probably are worth the $700 though)

Bottom Line:
    These wheels really perform. They are light, strong, come true new and stay true. I tend to be pretty hard on my gear, and I was used to having to true and dish my wheels with some frequency, but the Climax wheels take a beating and remain true. The hubs are of exceptional quality as well, made out of titanium and completely serviceable.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517s, XT hubs.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instinct, XT/R, Duke Race

Submitted by Art Rosch a Cross Country Rider from Woodacre,Ca.

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Strengths:    Light, beautifully finished, detailed

Weaknesses:    don't know yet

Bottom Line:
    I haven't ridden these very long. I took one look at them,
    felt the bearings and thought 'oh man, these are the wheels
    I've been looking for'. I found them used at the local
    recycle shop. Took them up the infamous Repack Trail
    in the Mt. Tam watershed. Came home, emailed Velomax
    for some info about the hubs, about servicing. They emailed
    me back immediately. These are real people with a real
    concern about the quality of their product. The wheels are light, strong, built with incredible attention to detail and
    very practical engineering wisdom. You spin one of these
    in your hands and you see the closest thing to a perpetual
    motion machine. Makes the smooth-but-gluey feel of CK's
    and Rolfs seem kinda crude. If I have a problem or change
    my mind I'll post another review. I don't expect to; and
    if I do, the company will back the wheels up, no questions
    asked, even though I bought them used.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Tam

Purchased At:   Recyclery

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race, XTR, Rolf Propel, Chris King

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race with XTR, Sid XC fork.

Submitted by Chris Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    These wheels look great, spin great, are a snap to maintain (except...), and don't get too bent. They offer a good union of light and strong. A joy to true. (All the folks that I have talked to at Velomax always seem shocked when they hear that I need to true them about every 400 miles --that their wheels would even need to be trued)

Weaknesses:    The price. There is no way I could have bought these if I did not work at a bike shop. I fear the day that I break a spoke. The sidewall/ braking surface on the Velocity rims are too narrow; if you run a 2.1 tire with beefy shoes, it is hard to get the shoe not to hit the sidewall when the brakes are off. My freehub body died after 4 months of use. There "custom" seal did not work, at all.

Bottom Line:
    If you can spend the cash, why not. The T3 technology is the only way to get the necessary spoke tension for a radial laced wheel

Favorite Trail:   Rock Lake Wisconsin