Transition Bikes Revolution Wheelset

• Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • Alloy 6061 rim with eyelets

Submitted by sean a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely strong and dependable for an excellent price!

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
These wheels came stock on my 2011 Bottlerocket which has been regularly punished this season in just about every environment. I've ridden the bike everywhere in Colorado from Free Lunch in GJ to DH in Winter Park and trails all over the front range. XC to slopestyle, DJ to DH. I'm a heavier rider at 190lbs and these wheels have been super dependable, I've only had to true the back one once. If you're looking for a no frills dependable wheel at a great price I would suggest these, sure they're not the flashiest but they're a bomb proof solution if you like to set it and forget it.

Transition is a terrific bunch of guys that are passionate about riding and it shows in their products, design and willingness to work with customers.

Favorite Trail:   Gashouse- Buffalo Creek, Rainmaker- WP Trestle

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Direct order from Tr

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss, Mavic

Bike Setup:   2011 Transition Bottlerocket, Rockshox Lyrik RC2 DH, Fox DHX Coil, Saint Brakes, e thirteen LG1R cranks

Submitted by vitale232

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    Good price, reliable, rebuildable

Weaknesses:    Rear hub failed (easily warrantied), heavy (but it makes you stronger!)

Bottom Line:
I've been riding these wheels since 2008. Lots of miles, lots of abuse, and they've held up. Over the course of 4 years of hard riding, any wheelset will have some issues. There were broken spokes, loose tension and the like, but all easily fixed. Most issues were with the rear. The front never needed touched until about a month ago - which is ridiculous!

The hub issue came pretty early on in 2009 (I think). I took it into the shop because it kept working itself loose. I can't remember what the specific problem was, but within 2 weeks or so I had a brand new rear hub. The hub I sent away was a QR, and they sent me back a 10mm thru! Upgraaaaade.

Anyways, awesome set of wheels. They'll hold up. They're priced right. They look cool. Just get them.

Submitted by T_Bone22581 a Weekend Warrior from Concord, NH

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    This wheel is extremely solid and reliable. My friend bought a set a year ago and they have held up so much better than my Mavic 317's, So I bought a set too.

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware of.

Bottom Line:
These wheels when compared by weight and durability deliver big time in comparison with other big name brands.

Favorite Trail:   Coronary Bypass (East Burke, VT)

Purchased At:   Transitionbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317

Bike Setup:   2009 GT Force 1 with Shimano XT components, Fox RP23, Fox Float 32 140RL. Revolution 32's, and Easton Havoc stem and bars.

Submitted by alex55 a Downhiller from Rapid City, SD

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2010

Strengths:    Incredibly strong and durable. Good build. Quality hubs. Strong Rim.

Weaknesses:    The white doesnt stay clean long. Not really a weakness of the wheel though.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are awesome. I've been riding these for the last three months. The trails near rapid city are pretty rocky with plenty of jumps and drops. I've cased my fair share of jumps and these wheels are holding up. After 3 months of abuse, I haven't had to true them once nor have I had to tension any spokes at all. These wheels have been awesome out of the box.

Favorite Trail:   The Boulevard

Purchased At:   Pro deal through my

Similar Products Used:   Sun Single Track

Bike Setup:   Transition Bottlerocket

Submitted by trainboy17 a Downhiller from Winston Salem, NC

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Look badass

Weaknesses:    A tad heavy, and the bent. I got tripped up in showshoe, and went over the bars. sure enough the damn back wheel bent.

Bottom Line:
I was really disappointed cause I now these rims are supposed to be super strong. I didnt think a basic fall on a tech section woud bent it.....but it happened. The wheel has since been trued out as best as possible. I would probably buy another, different wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Whistler

Purchased At:   Won these at a race

Bike Setup:   Custom Raleigh Ram DH converted frame, marzocchi dual crown

Submitted by Penny a Cross Country Rider from Aspen, CO

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap, look good, front wheel has held up

Weaknesses:    Narrow, heavy, rear wheel quality is suspect

Bottom Line:
This is an okay wheelset if you are on a budget. Kind of heavy for riding lots of miles. It looks good, but my rear wheel started breaking spokes after 1000 miles. One broke, got it fixed. Then another. Got it fixed. Then another. Finally, I gave up on it and had a new wheel built with the Transition hub. The hub is still in fine shape, but the spokes and rim were toast. FYI, I weigh 145lbs.

Favorite Trail:   North Fork

Bike Setup:   Transition Covert, Fox 36 Float, 2.4 Ardent, 2.25 Nobby Nic

Submitted by pbbreath a Weekend Warrior from Redding, CA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    Laterally SUPER Stiff.

Weaknesses:    Um....

Bottom Line:

Bought these on a whim because they were cheap, local and matched my bike PERFECTLY. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/pbbreath/IMG_3177.jpg

Almost too wide for some 2.2 rear tires that I run around here doing XC/AM stuff. Perfect for my Big 2.35-2.5 DH Tires.

Very stiff laterally. Azonics I was running before were nice and stiff but these have them beat hands down.

Sexy wheels. Well built from the factory. Nice spoke tension for a pre-built wheel.

Favorite Trail:   Time Warp, Ashland OR

Purchased At:   Used, Craigslist Loc

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Outlaws

Bike Setup:   Titus El Guapo - Van 36RC2, DHX Air 5.0, 2.5/2.35 Tires, Stroker Ace 203's F&R

Submitted by kmurphy a Downhiller from Terrac, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2009

Strengths:    Price is cheap

Weaknesses:    Weight is in the 2700 realm for a set of 36's

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike with the revolution 36 wheelset on it hardly used. They served me well for about half a season and now i've got a big flat spot in the back wheel. I thought they would be indestructible with the 36mm rim and a 36 spoke count. Turns out they are not, but i can't rate them low because it's still super cheap and what do you expect for a wheelset at this price. I'd buy these again if i was in a pinch in the middle of a bike trip, but i'll be spending more on my next wheelset as i need a higher strength rim to take some abusing.

Favorite Trail:   hillbilly deluxe

Bike Setup:   Demo 7II, codes, totem air

Submitted by jbacaster a Weekend Warrior from grassvalley

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    don't know yet...

Weaknesses:    Wheels shipped with a bad rear hub. Transitions suggestion is that I take apart the hub to see whats wrong. I don't have the tools for this so I can spend more money or try dealing with them again. I think it a minor issue but the fit and finish on this wheel reflect their price, i.e, cheep. I guess you get what you pay for and then some.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that I got a bad wheel set direct form transition and there response to this has been, for me to try to fix their problem. I should have done as everyone I know suggested and got a set of azonic outlaws and you should do the same. It sucks to have a useless bike in the middle of summer.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   transitions site

Similar Products Used:   mavic 325's on specialized hubs, deetracks, sun single tracks

Bike Setup:   specialized bighit, fox 40's, x9 drive train, saint brakes...

Submitted by flying squirrel 182 a Downhiller from Utah

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    they are super strong, look great,you can fit 3.0 tires on them, they arnt expensive, they come in lots of cool colors.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
They will take anything you throw at them, and you wont spend tons of money on them. Perfect wheels for a freeride or dirt jump bike.

Similar Products Used:   WTB dual duty wheel set

Bike Setup:   Yakuza Aniki, Rock Shox Domain 318, Revolution 36 wheels

Submitted by Stuart Marksman a Downhiller from Ghettoville WA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2008

Strengths:    Good and solid!

Very easy to get DH tires on and off even without a tire iron.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Best wheels for the price, what else is there to say?

Favorite Trail:   SST

Purchased At:   TBC with FR build.

Submitted by Vish a Weekend Warrior from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2007

Strengths:    strong, cool colours, sealed bearing, still Tru after a freeride beat down

Weaknesses:    um the price? NOT. it does'nt come in pink.
they won't hurry up and break

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is plain and Simple.. for the price? these things are UNBEATABLE Sub $300 FOR A SEALED BEARING WHEEL SET IN 4 DIFFERENT COLOURS!?!?! WHO ELSE IS DOING THAT?!?!
take note wheel companys... these guys are where its at in the wheel set department.. and untill you pull your finger out .. guess what my next set of wheels will be?

Purchased At:   cactus bike AZ

Similar Products Used:   out laws, Mag 30's, Mavic 729's

Bike Setup:   Versus blitz 2, Marz 66, Fox 5.0 Air, sram X9, Formula Oro 24K , raceface diablow's

Submitted by Rafael a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Material, spokes, strength, stiffness, customer service directly from Kevin at Transition!!! And yes of course the variety of color.

Weaknesses:    Weight, but brather have a super strong wheelset than a lite one!

Bottom Line:
Have ridden hard for down some local trails in Oakland and Pacifica have been great for 3 months!!! Had an issue when I got them from Cactus but the Kevin and the rest of the guys at Transition bikes helped me out above and beyond anything I would ever expect!!! They were sweet, and came out with an awesome product.

I would defitnetly buy these again and over any other wheelset!!!

Favorite Trail:   Cinderala

Purchased At:   Cactus Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Outlaws, Atomlab G.I

Bike Setup:   Astrix Huckster (8 inch travel), Atomlab stem and handle bars, Solos headset, Rock Shox 180mm, evolve cranks, el camino brakes V7 front and rear, Manitou 4way!!!

Submitted by Brigham a Downhiller from Cache Valley Utah

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2006

Strengths:    I have totally rallied the Revolution wheelset (32 mm version) for the past 8 months. I've ridden all kinds of terrain, from Deer Valley NORBA DH trails to drops to dirt jumps, and they have been strong and stout. I think I've only had to true them once, and even then it was just a tweak here and a tweak there. The spokes stay tight, the wheel stays true, and even when I've rammed them into some really stupid rocks and what not, they've come out like new. So good, I had to buy two.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of.

Bottom Line:
I really wondered how these wheels would do, and they have totally exceeded my expectations. As good or better than the hand built Rocky Mountain set, which were sweet too...
This wheel set will not let you down.

Purchased At:   Norda's

Similar Products Used:   mavic 325 hand built by Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   Transition Preston FR, DMR trailstar

Submitted by Joel Yang a Downhiller from Issaquah

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Super Strong
No silly 20mm end caps to lose
All black spokes & nipples
Best wheelset for FR & DH right out of the box
Rear has a 10mm solid axle QR - like the bolt ons and is super strong
36mm wide is perfect for your all rounder FR setup as well as DH

Weaknesses:    Not available in 150mm for the rear
plastic rim strip seems a little wimpy compared to the rest of the wheelset

Bottom Line:
Wicked wheelset right out of the box -
The most comparable wheelset to put these up against would be the Azonic Outlaws and they make the Outlaws seem really wimpy. I hate getting wheels built sometimes because it always takes longer and costs more than you want. These wheels are awesome right out of the Box and are available at 32mm and 36mm widths for the rim - (great options in my opinion)
This wheelset will go perfectly with your 6" travel AM/FR bike as well as your Dj and DH bike for the 36mm option. I am 200lbs and not very smooth on my landings and this wheelset has held up to my beating and has no flex on the rear end. Transition does not dissappoint.....now if they will only do a 150mm rear end!

Favorite Trail:   Original Sin - Whistler