Home | Reviews | Wheelset | Sun

4.37/5 (35 Reviews)

Sun Ringle R.P.M.

Submitted by Robert Swinburne a Cross Country Rider from Brattleboro Vermont

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2005

Strengths:    very light, super low bearing friction

Weaknesses:    noisy rachet

Bottom Line:
I weigh 150 lbs. the wheels have several thousand miles on them and periodically need the ratchets in the rear hub cleaned. Otherwise they are super smooth and stay true. Sun Ringle acually sent me some extra!
the rims are getting worn and I can't seem to find replacement. This is the reason for 4 chilis

Favorite Trail:   out the back door

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Klein hardtail, xt v brakes

Submitted by Craig Smith a Cross Country Rider from Waxahachie, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Strengths:    Stay true, even after abuse, very low friction, rear hub sound is great (like a card in the spokes!), strong in the corners.

Weaknesses:    could weigh a little less, rims need degreasing after long rides to maximize brake efficiency (but what wheel does'nt?)

Bottom Line:
Awesome wheel for the money!!

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park, Texas

Purchased At:   Fitness in Motion, Dallas

Similar Products Used:   mavic

Bike Setup:   Proflex 4000 1998, all XTR, V-Brakes

Submitted by Ferran Verdu a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    Great pair of wheels. Maintenance free for over 3 years. The rims are strait as an arrow and the hubs are in excellent shape. I have riden the hell out of this wheels. I have overhauled my bike two times and did not have to work or replace my wheels. I am overhauling my bike as we speak and found my rear freewheel internally damaged. I haven't been succesful in finding parts so I bought another pair of Sun Ringles.

Weaknesses:    None, other than finding hub parts

Bottom Line:
Money well spent

Favorite Trail:   Olympic in Conyers, GA

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Cross-Country Litespeed Obed bike with front Rock Shox SID, Race Face Cranks, Synchros components, front XTR deraileur, Grip Shift 9.0 SL, Avid brake sets, and Bontrager tires.

Submitted by Shawn Murphy a Racer from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Strengths:    Absolutely BombProof!!! I ride pretty gnarly trails here in Austin with 2-3ft droppoffs, one after another, and these are still perfectly true. I have weighed 185-200 lbs since having the bike.

Weaknesses:    None Found yet. Just came back from a 250 mile Hut to Hut ride Telluride to Moab, and still have had no problem with the rear hub as I have read some have.

Bottom Line:
Although these came on the Bike I don't think I could have made a better choice for a wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Warda, Rockyhill Ranch

Purchased At:   came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   Mavic rims with Ringle hubs

Bike Setup:   2000 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited - 21" Frame, whole Bike @ 23lbs with a few heavy parts (rockshox seatpost, Downhill pedals)

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2002

Strengths:    Relatively light, solid.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub needs attention.

Bottom Line:
After 2 years of regular, hard riding in all kinds of weather, the rims are almost toast. But that's to be expected.

These are good, affordable wheels that can stand up to heavy use. Sun-Ringle definitely has some quality control issues, but my wheels were good out of the box and I haven't had to worry about spoke tension for almost 2 years of regular riding. Then again, I'm no Clydesdale. The only weakness is the rear hub. When properly maintained, it performs beautifully. But this is not a Shimano ride-it-and-forget-it type hub. You need to rebuild it -- or take it to your LBS and have the shop kids rebuild it -- at least once a season. The front hub seems much less tempermental.

Purchased At:   AirBomb

Similar Products Used:   XTR/Mavic wheels

Bike Setup:   S-Works FSR

Submitted by Steve Eckardt a Racer from Huntington, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Strengths:    Very light - good quality hubs - decent rims - the right price

Weaknesses:    Bonded rims?

Bottom Line:
This is actually the RPM lite wheelset; I bought it for $189+S&H from JensonUSA. I have not ridden these wheels yet; this is just an initial review. I'll post another one later this summer/fall. Overall the quality is pretty good. I've heard good things about Ringle hubs and these seem to be put together nice & solid. The rear hub on this set is the 439 lite with alloy cassette body (I checked it with a magnet to make sure). The front hub is the Son Of Bubba. The O Degree lite rims look to be bonded, but I had a set of bonded Campy's years ago and they held up pretty well. The wheels seem to be built up OK, we will see how well in a couple of months. Jenson and Sun/Ringle advertise this wheelset at 1670 grams. I weighed it on a digital scale at work and got 1696 grams, that's only about a 1.5% difference which is pretty darn close. One of my riding partners uses the regular 439 hub w/O Deg lite rim (3X) and says they are bulletproof. He is an expert class racer so I'm pretty confident the rear should hold up, even though this one is laced 2X. From visual inspection and weight, this seems to be a decent set of wheels. We'll know more towards the end of the season.

Favorite Trail:   Franke Park

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Nuke Proof Bombshell/Campagnolo Stheno - Shimano LX/Mavic X222

Bike Setup:   Giant aluminum hardtail-Manitou fork-SRAM 9.0 drivetrain-Avid brakes-RaceFace bb-Truvativ crank & headset-flite Ti saddle

Submitted by Ville Lekholm a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, impressive strength

Weaknesses:    2-crossed rear wheel requires uncommon spoke-length, bearings not quite suited for Swedish conditions.

Bottom Line:
Great Wheels at a good price. Rear hub makes a lovely metallic noise. Hubs could have been lighter, but they're light enough. Exceptionally built! These wheels require no truing at all unless you have a wajor misshap. Even then the wheels seem unusually tough. Revolution spokes on the drive-side of the rear wheel make the it flex a bit.

Purchased At:   Velodrom Stockholm

Similar Products Used:   XT/DT comp/X217 ceramic, Mavic Crossride

Bike Setup:   F2000 '98

Submitted by J H a Weekend Warrior from LETHBRIDGE

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    nicly light, make sound of a machine doing somthing durable I can fix or replace the parts without confusing the shop while asking for parts. Price

Weaknesses:    front has flex. If I put my thumb to side of the front wheel it only takes about 20 pounds of force to get the rim to touch the brake.

Bottom Line:
I like these wheels. My first real trip with them was to a ski hill to ride the lifts-no truing-. Aswell as several basic cross country rides-still no truing-. last week I went wide on a corner doing 30k + hit a burm the front wheel took the hit for the bike and my collar bone took the hit for me. result -wheel no truing-me cant find tools to fix broken collar bone-.The front wheel does flex but with only 20 spokes it probably should my bikes not light but with these wheels it feels light when pedaling and thats what counts. And for what they retail for you just cant go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   too many

Purchased At:   second hand 1month old

Similar Products Used:   lots of traditional wheels built to be light. No other compleat systems.

Bike Setup:   Dekerf s.t. bomber,low riser, magura rim brake, race face crank and head set.

Submitted by Ken Fong a Cross Country Rider from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2001

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    The company needs to answer their phones or respond to multiple emails.

Bottom Line:
Going to have to put Sun-Ringle on the suck wall.
The cassette flange has a lot of play and a piece cracked off. So I've been hearing about this recall. Yes, if I can get a hold of them to warranty this thing. Left emails and voice messages without any response. Bike is in its 2nd week of being down.
Had very good experience in the past with Ringle hubs. Looks like what was then doesn't apply to now.
Can't be of any value if I can't ride.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Super Bubbas, Deore XT

Submitted by Matthew a Cross Country Rider from Lake Charles LA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2001

Strengths:    Great price, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Come out of true for the first few rides then they are great. If you plan to buy this wheelset in the future make sure to have the rear hub rebuilt. There is a "recall" on the hub. Once mine is fixed it should be a great ride.

Bottom Line:
Get the rear hub rebuilt, and be patient for the first 20-30 miles. After that ride like hell.

Purchased At:   Super GO

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rim on avillo hubs(heavy)

Bike Setup:   Ionic w\ XT Chris King, Race face, THomson, Selle, oury,

Submitted by SCOTT a Cross Country Rider from NEW BRUNSWICK CANADA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Strengths:    LIGHT & STRONG

Weaknesses:    MY REAR FREEHUB SLIPS AFTER EVERY STREAM CROSSING!?

Bottom Line:
STAY TRUE, LIGHT & SWEET LOOKING.
DON'T GET 'EM WET. I'M GOING TO CALL SUN TO FIND OUT WHAT
TO DO. WOULD BE A 5 BUT WE CROSS A LOTA STREAMS ON THE EAST COAST! I WOULD RECOMEND THESE TO ANYONE AS A MAVIC ALTERNATIVE.

Favorite Trail:   ARCHERS ALLEY

Purchased At:   INCLINE SPORTS

Similar Products Used:   LX/221's

Bike Setup:   ZASKAR FRAME, X-FLY, MONKEY LITE, NEXT LP SPLINED COMING

Submitted by BBC a Cross Country Rider from Ithaca, NY

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light, stiff, stealth

Weaknesses:    Hubs

Bottom Line:
I've finally been riding these wheels for long enough to write a real review. I love these wheels! They're super light, super stiff, and a great deal.
Two downsides: I weigh 135 lbs. and ride the RPM Lite. The Lite may be too light for riders over 160 lbs. If you meet this criterion, go with the regular RPMs; they have more spokes. I've had some issues with the hubs. The front hub squeeked a bit for about a week after I had been riding dusty northern California trails for a month and then the noise went away. Also, they free hub occasionaly slips before engaging (very rarely, about once a month). I expected a bit more from Ringle.
Dispite this, these wheels are great and I give them five thingies.

Similar Products Used:   LX hub, Mavic rim, DT spokes

Bike Setup:   DBR Axis: Sid XC, SRAM 9.0/Shimano XT, Avid levers, XTR brakes

Submitted by Greig a Weekend Warrior from Greenville SC

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light , low cost, easy to mantain. easy spoke replacement. strong. No truing needed.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub.

Bottom Line:
Over 1 year of hard riding and 2 races and countless crashes and the rear wheel finaly died. Rear rim cracked all the way around, wierd. Rear hub is busted inside. Worn out. The rear hub needs to be stronger, I've seen too many of these Rear hubs go bad too quick. I've seen new ones broken on the 1st ride. The front wheel has been trued once in 1.6 years. Over all I'm 200+lbs and ride hard and crash hard. Damn Good looking wheels but if you dont get lucky and get a good rear hub your "F"d up. If the price is right buy them! You might get lucky. I would give a 5 but 3-4 might be in line.

Favorite Trail:   Any think in Pisgah NC

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Mavic wheel sets.

Bike Setup:   Heckler, Z1 alloy. Kooka, Ringle post, avid arch rival 50's.

Submitted by Dan a Racer from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2000

Strengths:    Very Light, especially compared to my old Superstocks
Fast rolling hubset
Acceleration/Power transfer

Weaknesses:    Some may find the ratcheting rear hub a little annoying but I like it

Bottom Line:
Sweet wheelset. Much lighter than my Superstocks, found them at a really good price ($220 at Supergo) Definitely a good upgrade, actually out of necessity...I dented my other wheelset rather nicely bunnyhopping a log in a race. Did my first race with the new wheelset THis Sunday and what a difference! If it's on your list of possibilities, get it. 'nuff said

Favorite Trail:   Blackhawk Ski Hill