Sun-Ringle STR8 TRACK Wheelset

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

USE: ALL MOUNTAIN / DISC FRONT HUB: 32 HOLE SUNRINGLÉ JUMPING FLEA (BLACK) REAR HUB: 32 HOLE SUNRINGLÉ DIRTY FLEA (BLACK) RIM: SINGLETRACK, WIDTH: 31mm SPOKES: DT CHAMPION (2.0) BLACK STRAIGHT GAUGE NIPPLES: BRASS LACING: 3 CROSS (FR/ RR) WEIGHT: 1037g (FR), 1124g (RR)

Submitted by Kenny301 a Weekend Warrior from Laurel, Md

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Bang for the buck

Weaknesses:    nothing found yet

Bottom Line:
I built this bike up for a trip up the east coast with riding between Connecticut and Maine. I rode some really rocky terrain with drops, boulders, logs, roots, etc and these wheels never went out of true. They are a great bang for the buck. I have had zero issues with the hubs. It seems that for some reason, it is difficult to change tires on these wheels. I have had two sets on there from two different manufacturers and both were very difficult to get the last bit of tire into the bead.

Favorite Trail:   Fairland, Rosaryville

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   BMC Super Stroke, Juicy 7s 175mm front rotor 160mm rear, WTB saddle and Prowler XT 2.3, Sunline V1 bar, RaceFace seat post Atlas 80mm stem, SRAM shifters/ders/cassette, Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Team cranks and bottom bracket, Kona platforms, Fox 36 Vanilla fork, Oury lock ons,

Submitted by Kimchirider a Weekend Warrior from Jecheon, South Korea

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Good balance between weight and strength.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub blew some bearings. Cost $50 for a rebuild.

Bottom Line:
They came on the Heckler I got used last winter. I was skeptical at first, and the Flea rear hub had some bearings die and needed a rebuild, but it's all been good since. I've hit them hard enough to pinch flat and no wobbles. We'll see how the handle the ski hill later this year.

Favorite Trail:   Ha So Ri

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Various Mavic and Shimano rim and hub combinations.

Bike Setup:   2006 Santa Cruz Heckler, Fox Van 36R fork, DHX 5 coil shock, XT components, Quad brakes.

Sun-Ringle STR8 Track AMs?

Any experience with these? I like the price of the Azonic Outlaws but I don't like the weight. These are a hair cheaper than the outlaws and they are lighter. I have read that the Outlaws are 2500 grams for the set, while these are around 1900 grams. I also like the Eason Havoc wheels but the ... Read More »

Str8 Track Freehub About to Explode???

Has anyone had any trouble with their Ringle Str8 Track freehub bodies slipping? I went out for my first ride with this wheelset and I gave a couple of hard cranks during the ride and there was a nasty noise like the thing was slipping or the pawls in the free hub were about to explode all over the ... Read More »