Sun-Ringle Single Track Wheelset

Weight : 1220 grams

• Lacing: 3 cross
  • Spokes: 14 gauge
  • Rim: 24 or 26" Singletrack

Submitted by g a Downhiller from uk

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    utterly bomb proof. fit and forget

Weaknesses:    for the moey none really

Bottom Line:
Im an average wieght but ive used these on a 7 inch travel freeride bike. These came as stock and while the generic hubs died these rims wont give up. For three years I lernt to jump on them, building up to 30 foot gaps, run downhill tracks and ridden the alps and despite my best and clumsiest attemts to taco them they are still running true. Dropping the bike, casing landings and genrally getting it wrong have done nothing to them. Im sure there are many more suitable rims but i thought id run them tell they die, looks like they may outlive the frame.

Similar Products Used:   mavic 729 rims

Bike Setup:   commencal furious

Submitted by h82crash a Cross Country Rider from So Cal

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, affordable, light for strength/price

Weaknesses:    Decals. Sun, either put nice ones on or leave them off.

Bottom Line:
I'm 6-1, 250 with gear and ride pretty aggressive XC. 2 foot drops are no problem. I don't mind the weight if they hold up to my clyde ass. My set is about 2550 grams. Strong build with XT hubs from BWW. Still true. Can't believe a set this strong is $120. If you need some strong wheels and aren't a weight weenie, these are for you.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   BWW

Similar Products Used:   Ritchie, Specialized

Bike Setup:   GT Force 2, Xfusion H3 rear shock, Rockshox Domain u-turn 160mm up front.

Submitted by envylouis a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Strengths:    Strong and stiff , fast wheel with the XT hubs . Not any flexing noticeable .

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than my friend's MAvic 317 and my stock wheel but i wont loose sleep over it .

Bottom Line:
Came as a set with Shimano XT hubs , Wheelsmith spokes . Been jumping and hopping around with it at local trails . So far it hold up . Trued the rear wheel once as i accidently slammed it to the curb on the road at the side of the wheel . Bottomline is this wheel can take abuse if one can handle it smoothly . riding smooth , neat landing after a drop off or hopping is the key . I'm using it as my XC bike setup that i wanna do more with it . Things that i called progressive XC sorta ^^ .

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah , Ketam trails

Purchased At:   Hub Leong

Similar Products Used:   Weinmann Zac19 .

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Canyon 08 , Shimano XT drivetrain except the SLX crank , Answer Protaper bar , Crankbrothers Candy X , Rockshox Recon 335 SL , Kenda Nevagal John Tomac L3pro

Submitted by AlexJK a Downhiller from Nipomo, California

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Lacks bling factor

Bottom Line:
All the people who have issues have a bad wheel build, cause i'm a 230 lb freerider (and yall should google Tower Trail in SLO) and i have has no issues whatsoever. They are good rims. Not the lightest things in the world but for $200... you're set.

Favorite Trail:   Tower

Purchased At:   Bicycle Wheel Wareho

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Outlaws

Bike Setup:   2007 Transition Vagrant, RS Domain 318, Juicy 5s... all of this is irrelevant...

Submitted by matthew13sanderson a Downhiller from Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    nice light weight rim perfect for street bikes or larger trials bikes

Weaknesses:    probablly would brake if you took it downhilling and went off a 15 foot jump a few times

Bottom Line:
these are excellent nice light weight rims perfect for street bikes. they also have a good look to them and come in different colors.

Favorite Trail:   bogie

Purchased At:   traded a buddy

Submitted by billy bob a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2009

Strengths:    very rigid, soaks up hits over and over

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
These came stock on the bike and still roll as smooth as when I got the bike. I use my Giant Reign for crosscountry and pull out the hardtail for big hits. I have a stiff 6 inch fork up front and I beat the crap out of this bike. I spend all summer downtown indy riding concreate hitting 20 or more 2-5 foot drops to flat each time I ride. I've also hit some 10 footers with blind rollin landings. I've had them trued twice in 4 years. Honestly I think it comes down to how smooth you ride. Im 5'8 165 and never had any problems with this wheel set.I dont know there msrp But im thinking about mating them to a set of fox float 36 rc2 forks for my Reign.

Favorite Trail:   downtown pavement

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   many different top end wheel sets

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale Chase 1

Submitted by Rabbid-mongoose a Downhiller from Japan

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Bombproof, relatively light weight.

Weaknesses:    Decals and tire levers don't mix with wire bead Kenda's. The drop center isn't quite deep enough to take off wire bead tires.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding very hard on these wheels for the last 2 years. I have only needed to get them trued up one time. I weigh about 175 in full gear, and routinely flat drop these anywhere from 4-8 feet(usually onto pavement). I trail ride these on very rocky trail in the mountains here in Japan. I even use these when I race DH. These are great wheels, and I recommend them to anyone looking for a good all around strong rim, who doesn't wanna spend a fortune.

Favorite Trail:   Agent Orange

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Outlaws, Sun Ditch Witch.

Bike Setup:   Black Diamond Triple, Boxxer, Holzfeller crank, Xpedo mag pedals, Saint brakes w/8" rotors, SRAM drivetrain.

Submitted by Turner rfx a Downhiller from temecula ca us

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Bend super easy! I just got a flat spot in the rear rim. Nothing good about them at all.

Bottom Line:
Dont by these rims! Unless you are just doing some casual all mountian riding they will be fine but other wise there terrible for dirt jumping or downhilling.

Favorite Trail:   vail lake jump line

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares to its carppyness!

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX, fox talas R, Race face evolve cranks, shimano

Submitted by Oliver Leon a Downhiller from Flagstaff, Az, 86001

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2008

Strengths:    Not too expensive and no serious problems. I bought the rim built on a redline hub w/ 20mm axle.

Weaknesses:    They do tend to get out of true bit nothing that I wouldn't expect by the way I ride.

Bottom Line:
Good rim form the money. Ride it hard and you will need to true every once and a while as expected.

Favorite Trail:   Wasabi

Purchased At:   Az bikes

Similar Products Used:   Sun rims S.O.O

Bike Setup:   Kona shred w/ marzocchi drop off 1.

Submitted by hadles a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth running strong xc rim

Weaknesses:    After a year of fairly light use three ratchet teeth broke off inside rear hub and destroyed itself

Bottom Line:
I'd expect a bit more for the use they ve had and the lay out

Purchased At:   torpedo 7

Bike Setup:   Hard tail, juicy 7 bianci frame

Submitted by jake a Downhiller from SLC

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    bends easily, spokes loosen easily, lateral flex is horrible

Bottom Line:
out on a dh trip in souhtern utah, blew my hub and decided to get a whole new wheel cause the guy at rim cyclery insisted the Single track will handle dh riding, but he was very very wrong. they really pissed me off. they clearly arent for downhilling so i suppose they would be ok for xc, but if you like to go on a trail with maybe a rock or two you cant avoid- dont get these rims cause they are shieza(unless truing rims is a favorite pastime of yours.).

Purchased At:   rim cyclery

Similar Products Used:   SUV, HALO

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Battle Ground, WA.

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    I've had these wheels on 3 different bikes from urban to freeride. Never had a truing problem at all NEVER!!! Yeah, you do get rock hit on the rims, but never did I dent a rim. I have these in both 20mm and standard front hub. Great rim at a great price...

Weaknesses:    None, I know a friend that wipe out 3/4 of his spokes on this rim. After some trail fixing, he road the bike back to the truck over 5 miles!!!

Bottom Line:
You pay for what you get, when you buy wheels! All those jumpers out there should step up and spend the money for D-Max Mavic wheelsets. Singletracks are the best buy for the money not a bad cheep wheelset at all. If your having true problems then find a bike shop that know how to build wheels and use stright 14 or 15 guage spokes.

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon, Mt. St. Helens, WA.

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Farm, OR.

Similar Products Used:   None. All the other rims or wheel sets I use are Mavic.

Bike Setup:   FOES FXR with Fox Talis, Raceface, SRAM, Easton, Maxxis tires. Other bike is CoilAir with a Z150 Marz., Shimano, SRAM, Raceface bars and stem.

Submitted by quinn from Kingston ON, Canadda

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2008

Strengths:    cheap and strong enough for someone who doesn't like to push thier limits. I guess they look alright to and the hubs they came with are decent.

Weaknesses:    I've never seen a wheel go out of true so many times for so little reason. These things enjoy wobbling around and bending with the least bit of sorce. I got these on a jump/urban bike and it's not like ove been jumping buses and stuff, I'm only 130lbs and I dont case every double i come across or smack off the edge of anything i see thats hard and pointed. but ive still got big dents in the rim along with a wobble that I have to true out constantly.

Bottom Line:
Don't expect these to last long if you ride harder than a 10 year old. These things would work well for aggressive AM or some very smooth jumping if you dnot mind a bot of wieght. Thier plus is thier cheap so you can replace them easy but youd be daft to buy the sme rim. get something better even if it costs more.

cheers

Purchased At:   some shop in Brantford

Similar Products Used:   Double Tracks and ADD's along with other stuff I dont remember the names of. Well basically kit that works better than these. Ive got Rhino Lites on my AM rig that take more abuse without any evedence of damage.

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized P2. Stock minus an eThirteen bashy, Axiom Road Gap pedals and WTB lock-ons with envy caps.

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    Well put together wheelset! Taken many 2 foot plus jumps and they are still straight and true

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Solid wheelset for the price! I would recommend these for the everyday XC rider. I have this wheelset on my 05 Gary Fisher Wahoo.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson Park