Sun-Ringle R.P.M. Lite Wheelset Wheelset

2.82/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Carl a Downhiller from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2005

Strengths:    Lite... ahhhhh... the front wheel??

Weaknesses:    Not a good wheel set at all... well at least for me (190)... rear wheel got bent my first time out on a tiral... and the weld was starting to come apart after 3 mounths of riding...

Bottom Line:
I should of spent the extra money and got some thing a lot stronger i figured for the discrptions it would work for me... i just wanted to go chep but it didn't work..

rim untrued first time out...it was some hard rockie stuff but i never really took any hard hits on my rear, and if any thing i took more on my front... and the frount id still in great shape... maybe a good set if you don't downhill or free ride... maybe

Favorite Trail:   Capt. Jacks

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   stock wall mart rims

Bike Setup:   s-work epic

Submitted by kenny olson a Cross Country Rider from riverside,ca

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    none !! a total piece of crap !!

Weaknesses:    like i said a total piece of CRAP !!

Bottom Line:
supergo was nice enough to give me a second wheelset after the first set (rear hub) sounded like it was grinding coffee,well low & behold the second set sounded good for the first 3 yes three miles and did the same grinding & skipping as the first set!! why can sun ringle make a desent rear hub that works,oh well i like the rims so i just ordered a 04 28 hole xtr hub, happy trails.

Favorite Trail:   indian truck trail

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   original crossmax

Bike Setup:   04 salsa bandito,sram xo drivetrain,sid tem fork,20.9 lbs.

Submitted by todd a Cross Country Rider from clarkston, MI USA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Strengths:    Good looks, light weight, decent price.

Weaknesses:    front- has developed some lateral slop in the bushings.
rear- had cassette fit issue.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad wheelset, but not the greatest either. Had some problems immediatly with putting the cassette on the rear. For some reason the brand new XT (11-34) cassette would not fit onto the freehub. When tightened, the cassette still had about .5mm of play. So I tried a different cassette (XT 11-32) and it fit just fine... Weird!

After the first 2 rides the rear wheel needed truing. In fact, on first 20 feet of the first ride I could hear the rear rim/spokes making snapping and popping noises. After truing the rear up I have not had anymore issues.

The front hub has developed some slight lateral play in the bushings. If I hold the stem with one hand, grab the top of the wheel with the other, and move the wheel back and forth (side to side) I can see and hear some loosness in the hub.

Even with these issues I feel the wheelset was a decent buy. For the money it would be hard to find a better wheelset. They are out there, but you have to look pretty hard to find a better deal.

These are not downhill or hucking wheels! For those giving the wheelset a bad review after beating (abusing) the living crap out of them, Duh! That's not what their intended use is.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   LX, XTR, White Industry, Bontrager.

Bike Setup:   01' GT Zakar Team, 00' Mars-1, LX shifters, XT deraileurs, Truvativ Fire-x crank, KORE post, bar & stem, Avid Digit-7 brakes, IRC Mythos tires.

Submitted by Steve Eckardt a Racer from Markle, IN USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Strengths:    -Light weight
-Strong front wheel
-Good customer service
-Nice color
-Price ($200 @ JensonUSA)

Weaknesses:    -Rear hub (for a short time)

Bottom Line:
I have put in a full season with these wheels, so I feel like I can now make some educated comments on them.
1. Weight - JensonUSA & Sun/Ringle advertise these at 1670g for the set. The digital scale where I work says 1696g; not too bad.
2. Front Wheel - it is bulletproof (so far). I haven't had to true it yet after a full season of XC riding & racing and the hub is smooth with no excess play. This is very good considering it's radial laced and I'm not exactly a lightweight (170lbs-Sport level racer).
3. Rear Wheel - it developed the same problem with the hub as other riders have experienced. I took it to the LBS and the mechanic inspected it, found loose bearings (possibly in improper press-fit into the hub shell) and could not get the cassette off the aluminum body. He contacted Sun/Ringle and they turned it around pretty fast. Living an hour away from Warsaw, IN (Sun's HQ) has some advantages, as does having a mechanic who knows the product. They basically replaced everything in the hub except the shell. Good customer service from them. Also, when the wheel came back to my LBS, the mechanic checked it out thoroughly before returning it to me. Summit City Bicycles in Fort Wayne, IN knows how to take care of their customers. The last two months the rear has performed well.
4. Overall Value - rear hub issue aside, this wheelset is a good buy. The weight is down and it is as durable as others I have used. The stickers do come off the rim easily, and the rear hub did give me some problems. However, S/R stepped up and delivered when they needed to, so I'll give them credit for that. I will keep this wheelset at least another season.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   XT/Mavic222 - Deore/Campy Stheno

Bike Setup:   Giant alum HT - Manitou - SRAM9.0 - RaceFace - Avid - Sun/Ringle RPM lite

Submitted by Coroz a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Hills CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2002

Strengths:    Very smooth and fast, looks.

Weaknesses:    rear hub, and not made for heavy riders althoug they said they can handle the weight.

Bottom Line:
As how they work...
they do their job very well, i was amazed on the time i was saving on each loop compared to the other wheels.
The problem is the rear wheel, the hub had a lot of problems, aparently it was missing a look from the factory, and the cassette kept going loose.
the other part is the rim, it's not even a year and i just notice four cracks in the rim, and this is for riding cross country in orange county, not downhill.
if your under 200, it's a good deal.

Purchased At:   $219

Similar Products Used:   xt, deore

Bike Setup:   psylo sl, xt drivetrain, giant nrs...

Submitted by Heavy Rescue a Cross Country Rider from Grand Prairie, Texas

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Very strong, lite

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I'm not a hucker so maybe that is why my rims have lasted and are still strong. I am however 6' 6" and 335lbs. Even though I am heavy I ride with finesse. But I am still very agressive! These rims have taken stumps, rocks and sometimes curbs. Still straigh and rooling clean. These rims are the bomb in my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   ceder hill

Purchased At:   Bike Tech

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar Team, XT/XTR, easton, XT disc with ryno lite rims

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    Nice Looking and the front wheel is reasonably light weight.

Weaknesses:    Don't believe advertised Supergo Weight for one minute. Not even close! Checked with Sun-Ringle and found out there is a lighter version with Aluminum hub instead of steel like on Supergo version. Also, hub was defective and oversize and did not allow a brand new cassette to fit. Sun admitted this problem and I asked them to ship me a replacement, but they only shipped the aluminum hub which I paid $35 for. I should have bought an XTR/517 wheelset.

Bottom Line:
I still haven't used the wheelset because I haven't gotten around to changing out the hub. Supergo wants $20 to change it even though they sold me the defective wheelset.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   GT Mavic 521/LX/GT/32 spoke wheelset (very heavy front wheel with GT brand hub).

Submitted by pam a Cross Country Rider from southern pines nc

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Strengths:    good quality, nice looking

Weaknesses:    not for heavy weights

Bottom Line:
this is a great wheelset for lightweights, I haven't had any problems whatsoever. Wheels are still true from the first ride. Probably have over 1000 miles on them. Rides from easy to hard western NC mountains. I highly recommend these for anyone under 150lbs. These babies only weight 1650 a pair!

Purchased At:   supergo

Bike Setup:   trek 8000, manitou sx shock, avid vbrakes, bontrager st tires

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Vienna

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Was not well built.

Bottom Line:
Started on an epic ride and about 5 miles into it the spokes started to loosen. I am a little heavier (210 lb) so consider that but the parts are all pretty good just go into it knowing that you will need to have them rebuilt sooner or later. Considering the price I paid I they are not a completely bad wheelset.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, WTB, other Sun stuff....

Bike Setup:   Hard Tail

Submitted by Mads a Racer from Aarhus, Denmark

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Strengths:    light, smooth running, nice design

Weaknesses:    This is a XC race wheelset only; with 24 radial spookes at the front and 28 at the back. Not suitable for downhillers or clydesdales.
Needs some maintainance (freewheel lubrication)

Bottom Line:
Buy them if you´re into i XC-racing and want a set of light, smooth running wheels.

I used them for approx. 5000 km´s in Danish conditions (muddy winther, dry summer). By that time the rear wheel was busted (both hub and rim), the front was still running as when new.

Eric below calls himself a downhiller - what kind of downhiller mounts 24-spooke XC lightweight wheels???