Sun-Ringle DISC O FLEA 29ER Wheelset

USE: CROSS COUNTRY/ DISC
FRONT HUB: 28 HOLE SUNRINGLÉ DIRTY FLEA (BLACK)
REAR HUB: 32 HOLE SUNRINGLÉ DIRTY FLEA (BLACK)
RIM: DS2 (29”) WIDTH: 23.5mm
SPOKES: DT SUPERCOMP (2.0/ 1.7/ 1.8) BLACK DOUBLE BUTTED
NIPPLES: ALLOY
LACING: 3 CROSS (FR/ RR)
WEIGHT: 29”: 837g (FR), 950g (RR)

Submitted by mtbmed a Racer from Plymouth, Wi USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth, solid platform with good stiffness and stability under stress. With proper tensioned spokes ... no problems with going out of round or flat spots

Weaknesses:    Bearings are weak. Freehub wore out after <1000 miles. Shouldn't have to replace entire hub/pawl assembly after 1 season

Bottom Line:
Good wheels, but limited by the support system - replace the bearings earlier than later and recognize freehub wiill not survive a racer's output for long.
A cross country or casual rider would be well suited to these.
I'll stick to Mavic for my race wheel.

Favorite Trail:   any of the Kettle trails

Similar Products Used:   C229SSMax 29 wheels

Bike Setup:   Salsa Dos Niner, XTR drivetrain, Hayes Carbon brakes

Submitted by goyo46 a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Light! Cheap! Roll fast! Look pretty good too. Very easy to work on/service (good thing). Use a quality cassette (aluminum spider) on the alloy freehub body.

Weaknesses:    Crappy bearings. Weak rims. Pawls slip on steep granny gear hard cranking rock steps. Quite a bit of lateral flex in the spokes/rims.

Bottom Line:
This is a light and fast wheelset that is a joy to ride, but they're not holding up well. I'm 6'3", 200lbs, and ride aggressively in the SW. I tensioned the pawl springs, but still had a few slips, like the chain was slipping, but it was the pawls. Problem seems to have subsided with wear. The bearings are going south after a few hundred miles, so I'll be ordering Enduro replacements. I already tweaked the front rim on a big rock, but Sun rims are known for being soft. I had to loosen all the spokes, straighten the rim in a vise, then re-tension, and got it pretty straight again. In retrospect I should have gone with a heavier rim.

Purchased At:   ediscountbike

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er. I have a backup wheelset, tn719 rims, straight gauge spokes, shimano hubs, very heavy and slow but sturdy.

Bike Setup:   Siren Song softail, full xtr, twist shift, bb7 brakes.

Submitted by bte a Cross Country Rider from southeast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2009

Strengths:    light weight, price, durable

Bottom Line:
For me they have been well worth what I paid for them. I've had no problems and can't think of anything bad to say about them.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   to many to list

Submitted by barnhorse a Cross Country Rider from Las Cruces, NM

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Strengths:    I never mess with my wheels. Or my disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
I was always cursing my brakes because they wouldn't go more than one ride without me having to adjust them. Then I figured out I could hit my wheel and adjust the brakes. My wheels were flexing! It wasn't the brakes at all. I bought these wheels and for over a year of hard riding I haven't even thought about that part of my bike. I weigh 210 pounds, ride trails in rocky country, and guess what, I always have to stop for my buddy to adjust his brakes (he has stock WTB speed discs). I am not a big reviewer, but these wheels deserve a good word.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Chaindriven bikes, L

Similar Products Used:   Stock Bontrager 29" wheels on bike

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher 292

Submitted by EuroPete a Weekend Warrior from Denmark

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    -

Weaknesses:    -

Bottom Line:
I got these wheels as my first 29" wheels, to just get the ball rolling. Didn't wanna waste time on building wheels. The wheels work really well for riding whatever. They're relatively light which is awesome.

I'm a pretty hard rider... I ride a lot of technical stuff and like to play around. I managed to get a small flatspot in the rear rim, which then caused a loose spoke or two. Easily tighened though. Then another time I was just screwing around a bit, and whipped the rearwheel sorta-sideways into a puddle to make a splash. Then the wheel taco'd. It might have been weakened from the flatspot, but I noticed, when I put a new rim on, that it's really easy to flex the wheel to one side, due to the dish (umbrella) of the wheel. I might go for a proper singlespeeed hub at some point.

I can't really comment on bearings and such, as I've only had the wheels such a short time. But so far so smooth... and tight.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to mention

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   Singular Swift SS

Submitted by Thrasher from Cleveland

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, smooth bearings. Seem to be durable.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I've been really happy with these wheels. They have held up well to some pretty hard riding. Bearing quality seems to be good - smooth rolling. They were slightly out of true once after about a month - had them trued up then and they have been perfect since (break-in period I guess). Was a little worried about the butted spokes being flexy - but they feel stiff and have stayed true. Spoke tension is still nice firm.

A great buy on a light-weight set of wheels that are holding up well so far.

Should be 10 chilis for value - especially compared to other wheels in this weight range.

Bike Setup:   XC trails - long live long rides!

Disc O Flea 29er Rims....opinions?

Anyone ride this wheelset yet? I'm looking in to a 29er and trying to find a nice/reasonable wheelset...a buddy of mine has some XT's laced to Delgado Disc 29ers....My local shop owner recently put some Disc O Fleas on his but I don't know anyone else with them....any ideas would be helpful here... ... Read More »

Sun Ringle Disc O Flea 29Er Wheelset

Anyone have any experience with these wheels? The one review I found on the hubs wasn't good.Read More »

Disc O Flea 29er

Has any one tried these? [url]http://content.mtbr.com/TRP_13_259_2crx.aspx[/url]Read More »