Sun-Ringle Charger Pro Wheelset

4.2/5 (10 Reviews)

All-mountain wheelsThat are all-mountainTough and XC light.Rear Wheel Details Rim: Stans NoTubes Hub/Brake Compatibility: 6-Bolt Disc TireType:Tubeless Compatible Cassette BodyType:Shimano 9/10/SRAM Rear Hub Spacing: 135 mm Rear AxleType: 10x1 Skewer Included: Yes Hub Drilling: 24 Spoke Info: Wheelsmith ISO Diameter: 559 / 26" mtn Rim Material: Alloy Valve: Presta Valve Length: Short 32-40mm IncludesThe following; Stans No-Tubes yellow rimTape, sealant, valve stems, Su

Sun-Ringle Charger Pro Wheelset Pro Review

I got a spanking pristine set of the new Sun Ringlé Charger Pro wheels in the late winter, and I have put them through a beastly thrashing, and they are light, fast and amazingly tough. The Charger Pro is an All Mountain wheelset which is available in 26? or 29? sizes, featuring tubeless ready aluminum rims that come with swanky labeling that screams, “Go Fast”. Continue reading →

Submitted by formerbmxguy

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2013

Strengths:    i find this wheelset to be a free rolling smooth wheelset

Weaknesses:    i looked and shopped around for over a month i was told at a local shop by a rep that i would love this wheelset im not a small guy 350+ and i seem to be haveing a hard time keeping the rear wheel true im in the bike shop at least once a week getting it trued im kinda disappointed

Bottom Line:
over all i like the wheels the stickers came off just fine brand new tires are hard to get seated but after the scarey pops there good id tell anyone to get these just not if their an oversized person

Submitted by HereWeGo

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    They look pretty.

Weaknesses:    THE REAR HUB S U C K S!!!!!!, and front nipples are frozen on spokes.

Bottom Line:
I have had this wheelset for 7 months. The rear hub developed play and Sun Ringle replaced the freehub, then a month later the ratchet ring in the hub started spinning when pedaling hard...I give up. It takes 3-4 weeks for them to do service, and I have to pay $42.00 to ship them the wheels. So I have spent over $80 to use this wheelset AFTER the purchase price...I feel like an idiot. Was trying to save money with this wheelset, but with down time and shipping I could have bought something much better...live and learn, I am going to sell these or give them away and try another brand...bummed.

Submitted by Fippo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2013

Strengths:    Cost, Weight, Strength, performance, appearance...

Weaknesses:    none that I've found

Bottom Line:
I paid $470 for a set of the Charger Pro 29ers from AE Bike for use on my single speed. I've ridden these on some really rough, rocky trails around Arizona and haven't spared them in any way; they've taken the beating with no issues.
I love them. Note: I weigh 162 lbs and my bike is 23 lbs so there hasn't been a ton of weight on them.

Favorite Trail:   BCT

Duration Product Used:   2 yrs

Purchased At:   AE Bike

Similar Products Used:   Easton XC Two, Bontrager Mustangs, Bontrager Rhythm Elite... all performed admirably.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Rig 29er Single speed, Manitou Minute fork w/ 20mm ta, Fromula RXO Hydro brakes, Crank Bros Carbon bars & seatpost

Submitted by Dan Blodgett a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    Beefy straight-pull hubs, wide rims, adaptability, tubeless ready, graphics are easy to remove, lots of extras, available in white!

Weaknesses:    Weight (for Cross Country application).

Bottom Line:
Sun-Ringle 29" Charger Pro AM wheelset.

These wheels really are a great value. I paid $550 + $18.00 for the 12 x 142mm adapter endcaps. The extra goodies -- valestems, Stan's sealant, skewers, 9/15/20mm endcaps -- are a nice bit of kit.

The combination of straight-pull hubs/spokes, Stan's proprietary rim design, and the ability to run any front axle and a 12 x 142mm rear thru-axle makes these the only choice in this price range for many people.

If this 29" wheelset weighed as much as advertised I would give them the highest rating possible. Unfortunately, they weigh 2015 grams (as delivered with 9mm endcaps, Stan's rimtape and no valvestems) which is 175g more than listed on Sun-Ringle's website (1840g). Curiously, the cheaper 29" Charger Expert wheelset is listed as weighing 2000g.

Burly enough as a Trail/All-Mountain wheelset, they are a bit too porky for spirited XC work.

Thanks!

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake, Michigan

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   The Best Bike Shop,

Similar Products Used:   Novatec Diablo
Bontrager Mustang
Maddux (Formula)

Bike Setup:   2012 Intense Spider 29, Fox Float fork, XT brakes & drivetrain, Ritchey cockpit.

Submitted by 26rando

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    Price. Adaptability (9mm qr, 15 and 20mm through axle, rear through). Bead Socket Technology. Tubeless compatible (came with everything needed). Relatively inexpensive for what you get.

Weaknesses:    Stickers.

Bottom Line:
I've put close to 300 miles on this wheelset and have not had any problems. I've mounted Intense System 4, Geax TNT Saguaros and Kenda Nevegal UST tires. The Geax and Kendas are tubeless. I tried using my floor pump but i was unable to seat the tires so I ended up using an air compressor. They provide a nice wide footprint and I haven't had a problem with "burping". The wheels have seen the dusty and sandy trails of So Cal and a hard winter in the Pacific Northwest and the hubs are still running smooth as ever. This is my first set of tubeless and couldn't be happier. No complaints.

Submitted by Dlongb13 a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    Light, strong, removable stickers, good sounding freehub.

Weaknesses:    Thin spokes. Tacky stickers.

Bottom Line:
I have had these rims for about 2 months now and I couldn't be happier for the money. I found these for 450 shipped after scouring the web. I have put these through the ringer in the short time I have had them, from racing the Sea Otter Classic DH, to riding plenty of other DH and lots of trail miles with rocks and roots, and they are stiff hanging in there. I did have 1 really bad wreck where I broke 2 spokes but besides that they were perfectly fine, no bend or anything and they were still rideable until I could get them fixed.

I have the 12mm thru axle conversion with the tapered axle for my 135mm wide '12 Nomad and it is a huge upgrade. Before I had the thru axle I would say the rear was a little flexy when slamming into berms and fast off camber situations, but with the 12mm, its solid as a rock. The conversion kit can be had at any LBS, was about 25 bucks, just have them give Sun Ringle/Hayes a call.

I have pushed all my friends to look into these wheel when they are ready to upgrade. Just the fact that you can set them up to fit pretty much every bike out there minus a 150mm rear, is reason enough to buy them. And yes the stickers are very tacky, but they come off with ease so don't let that be a deterrent.

The hubs so far haven't given me any issues and the freehub have a nice sound to it. Not crazy loud like a CK or i9 thank god, but noticeable. I have applied a lot of grease to mine to make it as dull as possible and it sounds great.

Tubeless set-up was also easy as pie using a floor pump.

Go buy these wheels!

Bike Setup:   2012 Santa Cruz Nomad, Marzocchi 55 Micro Ti, e.Thirteen Single ring cranks, saint shift group, Thomson X4 50mm stem, Crank Brother 760mm Iodine Carbon bars, KS iBeam Dopper post with SDG saddle, Elixir CR brakes, Bontrager FR4 tires

Submitted by Statenp a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2011

Strengths:    Light, solid rims, lots of hub options, rim tape preinstalled

Weaknesses:    Can't get rid of a litte bit of play in rear wheel. Thru axle conversion kit really hard to track down.

Bottom Line:
Really light wheelset that comes with Stans rime tape preinstalled. Super easy to setup tubeless. I ran tubeless on this wheelset with Continental Mountain Kings and Nevegal's with no issue. The wheelset has held up well for the roots and rocks thrown at it in the southeast. The included end caps for the front fork give it alot of flexibility. I have a little play that won't go away in the rear hub. A local bike shop claims it is causing shifting issues (they put cass on other wheelsets and no problems). Also a tad bit flexy in the rear.

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Sun Ringle Charger, Kovachi Wheels, Azonic Outlaws, Mavics, etc.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL

Submitted by UPSed a Weekend Warrior from Simi Valley

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, easy tubeless set up, good lucks.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an AM UST or TR wheelset. Was gonna have some built up and a friend recommended the Charger Experts. Through some online searching I was able to pick up the Pros for a few dollars more. I'm 240 with gear but am relatively light on my feet and ride mostly XC and AM and the occasional DH and so far they're still tight and true. I'm running Nevegal USTs and they seal up instantly with my compressor at 30psi.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Pinos

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss 540s, Azonic Outlaws

Bike Setup:   '07 SX Trail XO shifters RD SLX crankset Saint brakes

Submitted by hiawatha-de a Downhiller from san antonio, texas

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    semi-light, roll fast

Weaknesses:    uses stan's rim strip for ust conversion (spoke eyelets are not airtight).

Bottom Line:
figured I'd post a review since there was only one so far. Had these wheels for a while. have not had to true them yet and have put them through some abuse. Mostly ride all-mountain so small drops with some rock gardens thrown in with single track riding. so they have held up so far and no maintenance issues. Bought them because sun wheels seem to roll pretty fast in my opinion and these are no exception.
A few complaints as they are not perfect. The wheels can either be used with or without tubes. The wheels come with stan's rim tape which in my case the rim tape had small holes in it (probably from the spoke eyelets)and was unable to make an airtight seal when putting on a tubeless tire. I simply used electrical tape to reinforce the holes to make them airtight, but definitely a negative. Also they are a bit flexy. Best felt when bombing downhill which is not so reassuring when blasting high speed. So with the flex involved i would say they are more XC oriented than AM. If they were on sale they would be worth purchasing. I bought them because they were cheaper than the crossmax sx and havens. Still I'm happy with them, but just has me wondering if the crossmax or haven have less flex being the same 24 count spoke. Did I mention they roll fast?

Favorite Trail:   sac river, austin trails

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   mavic deemax, mavic 823, sun a.d.d., sun str8 track.

Bike Setup:   banshee spitfire, rockshox revelation, sram drive train, hayes brakes, etc.

Submitted by Kealoha a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, HI USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, great build quality, strong, includes stan's yellow tape/valves/sealant, adapters for 9mm QR/15mm/20mm, good looks, price

Weaknesses:    not too many points of engagement for the rear free hub but really no issues for me

Bottom Line:
A great value for a tough dependable wheel. Was considering Mavic Crossmax SX but wanted a more budget friendly set and these fit the bill quite nicely. The 24h rims have the Stan's BST with a 22.6mm width and were easy to convert standard Continental Trail King 2.4F/2.2R with the included tubeless conversion. The spokes are still nicely tuned and no wobbles or hops so far. Highly recommended!

Favorite Trail:   Royals