Sun-Ringle Charger Expert 29er Wheelset

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

SunRingle Charger Expert 29" Disc Wheelset: All-Mountain wheelset using Stan's No Tubes Bead Seat Technology with Stan's yellow tape pre installed. Includes: (2) Stan's sealant 2oz bottle, (2) tubeless valves, CrMo skewers.

Submitted by joe_bloe

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2013

Strengths:    Very strong, reasonable weight for the all-mountain mission, great value, and last but not least, FANTASTIC support from Sun Ringlé

Weaknesses:    Maybe the decals are a little bit overdone.

Bottom Line:
I've had my Charger Expert 29ers for a year now. They've stayed true, and I'm no lightweight (200 lbs riding weight). They work really well tubeless, since they use Stan's BST system.

I had a problem with the back wheel recently; a broken spoke and a seized bearing. I contacted Sun Ringlé by e-mail, and got immediate help from the tech support department. They gave me the correct spoke length (so I didn't have to take another spoke out to measure), and e-mailed me tech docs on the hub so I could order the correct bearings.

Overall, I'm impressed with the wheels, but I'm most impressed with the service.

Submitted by ehank

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2013

Strengths:    They appear to be nice wheels, and fairly light for the price. They stayed true for the short time I used them. Easily convert to different axle sizes.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub sheared internally after 5 crosscountry rides (no jumping). Found one of the pawls installed upside-down. I don't know if this caused the failure. I dropped the wheel off at the LBS 6 weeks ago, and still waiting for parts.

Bottom Line:
I could have rated these wheels much higher if the repair had been done in a reasonable amount of time. Sunn-Ringle has very poor product support, and are almost impossible to contact. I would not purchase any of their products in the future.

Submitted by AuntieAPE

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, Tubleess Ready

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, maybe. Too many stickers (easy to remove though).

Bottom Line:
I have an OEM version of this wheel that came with my Niner. Nice strong wheelset with wide rims - has stayed true despite just having 28 spokes, and 2x lacing. I feel no flex at all. Very impressive overall. There are lighter wheelsets out there at this price perhaps, but these have proven themselves. My only other comment is that because the rims are a little on the deep side, standard Stans valvestems are barely long enough to get the pumphead on. Perhaps consider getting the longer version.

Submitted by mtnbiker72 a Weekend Warrior from Republic of Cascadia

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Roll Smooth, Tubeless, Quality

Weaknesses:    Would prefer 32 spokes

Bottom Line:
Despite the lower spoke count (28), these wheels are very stiff and very solid. The rims use the Stans BST shape and are similar to the Flow but are eyeleted to handle the higher spoke tension. Spokes are Wheelsmith DB14 with brass nipple for solid reliability and durability. The Ringle hubs roll smooth on cartridge bearings and have a steel 30 poe freehub body.

I have ridden these wheels pretty hard weighing between 210lbs and 235lbs and they have been solid the entire way. Setting them up tubeless with my Specialized 2Bliss tires was super easy. While I have a compressor, I check and was easily able to air them up with a floor pump. The freehub body was hanging up a little at first as it seemed to lack any lubrication from the factory. I added some oil to it (easy 5 minute job) and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I would recommend these wheels to anyone looking for a solid tubeless 29er wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Growlers Gulch