Sun-Ringle 2001 SUV Disc Wheelset

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Super strong design
Extremely versatile
Welded and machined rims
D-ahaped axle on front hub keeps fork legs from flexing
Wide range of disc adaptability

Submitted by freerider33 a Weekend Warrior from Kodak,Tennessee

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Strengths:    Sounds great.Nice engagement.Seems reliable to me!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great rear ABBAH hub. I have used it freeriding doing drops & torqueing on it hard.Never has let me down. Rims are good & pretty light.They aren't super knarly bombproof,but hold thier true fine.
I suposse some riders do 40 downhill runs a weekend somewhere & kill thier hubs eventually,but i have had no problem.

Purchased At:   Downhill racer

Bike Setup:   Bullit with 66RC.Wheel moved to 2 freeride hardtails after that.Now on a XC bike.

Submitted by Ryan Simmons a Downhiller from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2006

Strengths:    Extremely durable, require little truing. Good looking wheelset, love the loud sound the freewheel makes as it eliminates the need for a bell when coming up on slower riders or hikers. Wider rim profile works well with 2.3" and wider tires and allows the rubber to sit more flush with the ground providing more traction.

Weaknesses:    I may have an odd freewheel, but Shimano cassettes do not fit flush and basically won't work with my wheel. No big deal as I'm a SRAM fan. Heavier than traditional XC wheels.

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset especially for the price. What you sacrifice in light rotational weight, you make up with in durability.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that is dry right now...

Purchased At:   store

Similar Products Used:   Nothing really matches up. Mavics are too weak for my body/riding style and tend to go out of tru quickly.

Bike Setup:   Currently: '06 Titus Moto-Lite with Marzocchi All-Mountain and Roco rear shock.

Submitted by Larry a Racer from Stamford, CT

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I use these on an Intense Tracer which is probably overkill. I keep the drops under 3’ but I ride rocky, rooty muddy NE terrain. I’m pretty tough on wheels, however I’ve had these wheels for 3 years and never had them trued… As bomb proof as these wheels are- they are not too heavy. My only complaint is that I too blew a rear hub. The pedals just spun with no response from the rear wheel. My LBS sent the wheel back to Ringle and I had a new hub in a week or two- no charge.

Submitted by Valentine a Weekend Warrior from Long Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2005

Strengths:    Look Cool

Weaknesses:    Weak rims, Troublesome Hub

Bottom Line:
I don't understand you people here. Everyone has problems with the rear hub and yet this wheelset is still rated 5.0??? Why do you people rate this trash so high? I have had to replace the pawls in the rear hub twice and now the whole thing just slips like a clutch!?! Seems like I cannot get the hub to last more than 6-8 mos. without rebuilding it. And Ringle did not send me pawls for free, they charged me everytime. I've had enough of rides gone bad and spoiled weekends from this product. My SUV's are going in the trash! My front hub, a 20mm thru axle, is also acting up and grinding can be felt. Meaning the bearings are shot. No more Ringle for me ever again.

Favorite Trail:   Louge

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Ringle R.P.M., XT/ Mavic317, XT/ Mavic517

Bike Setup:   UZI SL, SRAM, Marzocchi

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2004

Strengths:    Solid wheel set. First thing I noticed was there was no give in the wheels on drops over 3 feet. Better cornering with the wider rim, tire did not feel like it was rolling off the side of the rim when cornering hard.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub was bad on first wheel set. When climbing I would get a loud popping noise from the hub. I found that the teeth that the pawls engaged into were miss cut. Sun-Ringle wanted me to ship it back to them at my cost. I returned it to SuperGo and they exchanged it with no questions. Also the first rear wheel was extremely loud when free wheeling; the new wheel is very quiet.

Bottom Line:
I shopped around a lot and did want to spend the money for the high end Mavics. Also most of the mech’s at both LBS recommended Sun Ringle over Mavic. From 1 to 10 I would give these wheels 9.5 I would have gave them a 10 if the rear hub had not been bad.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Non everyone else wanted twice the money for a wheel as strong as this one.

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg.

Submitted by Zach a Weekend Warrior from Montgomery

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Strengths:    Great product. It lasted an entire year of heavy riding doing some 6 to 7 foot drops and I had to true the wheels like 3 ot 4 times and that was it. Very stiff.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub failed after one year. Weird buzzing sound from the hub takes some getting used to, cool when you're manualing though.

Bottom Line:
Awesome product that I would recommend to anyone. Other than the rear hub failing, the wheels are great and I'll be using Sun for years to come. They rock.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain State Park

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Mavic x223 wheels

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Expert, Sun SUV wheels, Maxxis Hookworm tires,Fox Float RC, Race Face Prodigy DH crankset.

Submitted by Dennis Romano a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    Strong rims with a killer rear hub. Quick engagement on pedal stroke. Super smooth and efficient.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub failed

Bottom Line:
I love these wheels. I am 225 pounds and ride hard. The failure was a drag. I contacted SuperGo and received the run around from them. Finally, I faxed Sun. Their warranty guy, Tony, contacted me immediately. I sent in the rear wheel and received if repaired with a replacement rim at no cost. Talk about standing behind your product. I will continue to purchase their wheels from now on. Get customer support.

The wheelset is great. Fast, strong and repairable. For someone my weight this is the way to go.

Shame on SuperGo for playing games with their customers. I will not purchase a dam thing from them ever again.

Favorite Trail:   Bunker Creek, UT